9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

I live in ca and looking to add some performance mods but need it to pass smog... anyone have some ideas?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dang really? I thought there would be something out there.... how do I find someone to hook me up with a smog when the time comes then? Lol

·
Registered
320 Posts
You have 5 years from purchase of a new car until smog (in the purchase price of your NEW car there is a smog exemption fee). Also, CARB certs are retroactive. If you buy an intake and it passes smog/CARB testing at a later time, just email the company to get a CARB sticker and you're set. So go for it, get an intake and exhaust. CA based companies are the best options since they are the most familiar with this, i.e. Injen.

I learned this talking to some performance shops.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I thought california made you smog every two years, this is my first new car got the 14 civic si a week ago. you saying i won't have to smog till 2019?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I thought california made you smog every two years, this is my first new car got the 14 civic si a week ago. you saying i won't have to smog till 2019?

It is 5 years from the original first new purchase date and I could have sworn that someone said it was 6 years after not 5. either way yeah you have no worries about smog with a new car in California unless you run into a roadside smog check. and yes they have those here. saw one just last week while making deliveries at work. those they will pull you off to the side of the road and it is not an optional thing. if you try to pass them and they are waving you to pull over, a fine for aftermarket parts will be the least of your worries.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
After that initial period and your first smog, then I believe it switches to every two years.

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
After that initial period and your first smog, then I believe it switches to every two years.
You are right ,we have biannual,UNLESS of course your car gets tagged with a gross polluter stamp then it can be every year ,up to the dmv discretion.
But 6 years from New.so I have a 12 I'm not due till 2018.so on and so fourth

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
69 Posts
carb legal, funny. am i glad i dont live in the communist state of kali. im glad i never got caught with my I/H/E when i had my 08 FG2.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts