9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Honda Civic Hybrid in White Orchid Pearl
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I understand that what I'm trying to do is probably unheard of. I'm looking to add a cassette deck to my 2014 Hybrid. As you may know, Honda makes a single-DIN deck that is meant to communicate on GA-NET (the bus standard that the radio, iMID, and Sirius module use to communicate with each other in the 9th gen Civic). I purchased one such deck, connected the GA-NET lines to those from the iMID, and got this reaction on the nav screen when I loaded a tape.

Car Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle Radio

Believe it or not, the tape did play. If I had enough jumpers for audio, I would imagine that I would've heard it. The tape stopped when I turned the radio off and restarted when I turned it back on. So there is some functionality.

I am looking to get the radio to recognize this new device as "TAPE" and put controls on screen (for rewind/fast forward, music search if supported, changing direction, and turning Dolby on/off). Is there any kind of "root mode" on this screen to code in that functionality? Has anyone here ever tried anything like it before? It seems doable in theory.

Can anyone share any success stories of retrofitting in GA-NET accessories? (e.g. Sirius modules, Bluetooth, CD changers, etc.)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Edit: Is it possible that an aftermarket nav/audio system could support more GA-NET devices? I wouldn't mind replacing the factory unit and want to do that one day anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
H O L Y WHAT!? I need to know more about this! I've been trying to do the same thing in my 2014 Si. Where did you get it from? Also do you have a shop manual for the GA-NET? I need a project for my spare time and if it's possible I'd love to make it happen!

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
H O L Y WHAT!? I need to know more about this! I've been trying to do the same thing in my 2014 Si.
Glad to know I'm not alone in that!
Where did you get it from?
The Honda part number is 08A03-5E1-001/000. Unfortunately there is also nowhere to physically fit it in the car unless you want it in the trunk.
Also do you have a shop manual for the GA-NET? I need a project for my spare time and if it's possible I'd love to make it happen!
I don't unfortunately. That would be quite a find I am currently working on a GA-NET sniffer circuit and I've gotten some data from the components on mine already. I'll send them to you.

Also working on a vlog for this project so I'll send that your way as well when it's finished!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Glad to know I'm not alone in that!
Yeah I'm old school lol

The Honda part number is 08A03-5E1-001/000. Unfortunately there is also nowhere to physically fit it in the car unless you want it in the trunk.
Thanks! Current plan is below the radio in the little console

I don't unfortunately. That would be quite a find I am currently working on a GA-NET sniffer circuit and I've gotten some data from the components on mine already. I'll send them to you.

Also working on a vlog for this project so I'll send that your way as well when it's finished!
Sweet thank you! That'd be awesome.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts