9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Brake Fluid is the color of mud. I would like to try to change it myself before I have a mechanic try. Does any have any good detailed instructions on how to do it on my car?

·
Registered
241 Posts
An easy method I use is just to replace the fluid in the reservoir every oil change. I do this for power steering too. While it's not as good as a full flush, it keeps fresh fluid in. I'd snag a turkey baster, swap out the fluid, and then do it every CPL days for a week or so. Takes less than two mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
936 Posts
I gravity bleed mine. Crack the bleeder open and let it drip out. Top up the reservoir when it starts to run low. Takes a while but can be done by yourself and you can't really mess it up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
bicho - Any idea how long since it's been changed? 50K, 75K, 100K, no clue? I bought my 2012 Civic used, but I don't know how well it was taken care of prior to me.

·
Registered
432 Posts
An easy method I use is just to replace the fluid in the reservoir every oil change. I do this for power steering too. While it's not as good as a full flush, it keeps fresh fluid in. I'd snag a turkey baster, swap out the fluid, and then do it every CPL days for a week or so. Takes less than two mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I thought the 9th gen Civics had electric power steering. What fluid are you replacing?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
My Brake Fluid is the color of mud. I would like to try to change it myself before I have a mechanic try.

Does any have any good detailed instructions on how to do it on my car?
search youtube you'll find procedures there.

for the rest of you brake fluid should be replaced every 3 years.
from the civic owners manual:
1Maintenance Service Items
• Independent of the Maintenance Minder
information, replace the brake fluid every 3 years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts