Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

I recently received the last thing needed to swap out my stock stereo to a double din touch screen:

Stereo (duh lol)
Axxess steering wheel control adapter
Scosche dash kit

However i called my local car stereo installation business (same one that installed my amp and sub) and the owner told me that for the 2012 civic it is not recommended to take out the stock stereo because it would "interfere with the running of diagnostics" whenever i take the car in for repairs. He said if i took it to the dealer for service they would ask me "hey where's your stock stereo". Anyway, this may be a sales tactic to get me to buy a super expensive set up.. but it did make me a bit paranoid.

Can someone please put my mind at ease, i really want to install my new stereo (but lack the know-how to do it myself)... but is what he said really true?

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Honda dealer warned myself of same problems , so I am fearfully of aftermarket upgrade . If I had known this I might have bought another car to customize

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah from what I hear Honda won't even take out the stock stereo and install the stock navi...

·
Registered
8,226 Posts
hi

:spinning:
Actually its not BS. Its part of the CAN bus system so he was just beign nice he could of been a Dick and sold you a system without tellin you and then you would be pissed for him trying to sell you and not forewarning you.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
597 Posts
There are something connected to the car, mainly CANBus, that goes between stock radio and i-MID. My experience is that, if the ground of my ASWX is loose, the headlight would turn on by itself, the iMID would show this warning, that warning, etc., when I move the ground.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have heard of this,
Bob,

You seem to have a pretty good source of insight for a lot of this car audio stuff -- can you elaborate a bit more on what you may have heard regarding this issue? I still have my stock head unit, and I am somewhat still on the fence as to whether to swap it out or not. It would be useful to anticipate if there are going to be issues with diagnostics, etc?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
There is so much involved with electronics these days but here are some reasons why I won't swap as of yet:
1)loss of the IMID display for songs,radio info,along with other features
2)loss of the factory Bluetooth and hands free.Both are outstanding and built into the car.The mic is between the lights on top and blends in flawlessly.blue tooth is incredible.my iPhone works perfect. And nobody knows I'm on hands free when I'm talking on my phone.The sound is great.
3)loss of factory USB in center console(enough said)
4)SVC is a great safety feature,lowering volume when stopping automatically allows to hear for emergency vehicles coming.obviously the system is hooked into the car to sense when all this is going on so removing it also has been shown to cause some issues with the ever lovely CEL,but mainly with the nav units from what I've heard
5) the steering wheel control,although on the right track,is far from perfected.it is one of the most returned items out there( cutchfield,best buy as resources). Some say slow and erratic.and inconsistent operation
6) you get what you pay for....the systems sold now are really for cars that don't have an IMID type system,where adding Bluetooth and USB would be new,definitely not for factory integration as we need
7) Cost,Alpines new systems coming out will offer a lot of this if not all but it will make you gasp for air.pricing so far what I've heard 1199-1399 head units. 399-699 for factory perfect integration kits,plus hundreds more for steering wheel,hands free and USB supporting cables.and last not the antenna for xm/Sirius. Then if your not a MIT grad ,installation.the DVD and nav has to be wired to your parking brake and I believe the nav to some sort of speed sensor by law to prevent misuse.

So in the end I will probably stick to my setup,premium sound non nav,Polk speakers,tweeters,bazooka powered 10 and polk amp,my audio source eq and enjoy pretty good sound. Dropping 2000 more isn't really justified. Everyone will have an opinion,but this is just mine... Hope it helps

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
8,226 Posts
There is so much involved with electronics these days but here are some reasons why I won't swap as of yet:
1)loss of the IMID display for songs,radio info,along with other features
2)loss of the factory Bluetooth and hands free.Both are outstanding and built into the car.The mic is between the lights on top and blends in flawlessly.blue tooth is incredible.my iPhone works perfect. And nobody knows I'm on hands free when I'm talking on my phone.The sound is great.
3)loss of factory USB in center console(enough said)
4)SVC is a great safety feature,lowering volume when stopping automatically allows to hear for emergency vehicles coming.obviously the system is hooked into the car to sense when all this is going on so removing it also has been shown to cause some issues with the ever lovely CEL,but mainly with the nav units from what I've heard
5) the steering wheel control,although on the right track,is far from perfected.it is one of the most returned items out there( cutchfield,best buy as resources). Some say slow and erratic.and inconsistent operation
6) you get what you pay for....the systems sold now are really for cars that don't have an IMID type system,where adding Bluetooth and USB would be new,definitely not for factory integration as we need
7) Cost,Alpines new systems coming out will offer a lot of this if not all but it will make you gasp for air.pricing so far what I've heard 1199-1399 head units. 399-699 for factory perfect integration kits,plus hundreds more for steering wheel,hands free and USB supporting cables.and last not the antenna for xm/Sirius. Then if your not a MIT grad ,installation.the DVD and nav has to be wired to your parking brake and I believe the nav to some sort of speed sensor by law to prevent misuse.

So in the end I will probably stick to my setup,premium sound non nav,Polk speakers,tweeters,bazooka powered 10 and polk amp,my audio source eq and enjoy pretty good sound. Dropping 2000 more isn't really justified. Everyone will have an opinion,but this is just mine... Hope it helps

Yeah ill be sticking to stock deck and add a 5 ch amp and a big 8 inch sub in a small box less prone to theft this way

·
Registered
85 Posts
I replaced mine with the alpine Ina w910 I think it was. I don't miss song info on the imid considering the screen is twice as big. The alpine Bluetooth works well and has USB inputs for flash drive or ipod. I use the USB in the console for charging. I had svc turned off on the stock deck for the time that I did have it. I do not have any cel. I did not take the time to look into steering wheel controls. I have spent well over 2k though. I also do my own maintenance so it hasn't been to the dealership in the 25k I've put on it.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Exactly...if it fits your needs and don't mind the losses,it will be fine.I really like all the creature comforts our car offers. To me it does not add up.After I'm done with hfp suspension,pc rims or hfp rims,hfp mats,short shifter,etc i will upgrade possibly.by then I hope it will all be out and perfected.Im in no hurry for any of it so I can wait. But I have to say if the 2014 mustang looks like the early pics that are out,I'll probably be driving one of those,but that is a long time away.

·
Registered
8,226 Posts
Exactly...if it fits your needs and don't mind the losses,it will be fine.I really like all the creature comforts our car offers. To me it does not add up.After I'm done with hfp suspension,pc rims or hfp rims,hfp mats,short shifter,etc i will upgrade possibly.by then I hope it will all be out and perfected.Im in no hurry for any of it so I can wait. But I have to say if the 2014 mustang looks like the early pics that are out,I'll probably be driving one of those,but that is a long time away.

I'm with you alllllll the way up to mord fustang
Although I drive a powerstroke I don't like ford LOL don't worry don't worry every night before I go to sleep I tell my self it has the heart and soul of an INTERNATIONAL LOL and if I doubt myself I pop the hood and look at the orange sticker LOL to each their own
But as far as the car audio goes I like the stock look and going with aftermarket components you can make a competition grade soundsystem granted you use the proper equipment but in this department its like all aspects of modifying whatever floats your boat and wallet size because there are millions of options on what to go with when it comes to car audio

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bob,

Thanks for the detailed reply a few posts back. I keep going back and forth on the "stock vs. aftermarket" (head) issue. As I only have an LX (2012), I also have no Bluetooth (nor an option to factory-upgrade, an issue of significant frustration for me). It is good to be aware of some of the factors involved.

While the possibility of an integration-friendly Alpine option is tempting to wait for, I think the price is just going to push it over the edge for me. At any rate, thanks for sharing your insights.

·
Registered
8,226 Posts
Bob,

Thanks for the detailed reply a few posts back. I keep going back and forth on the "stock vs. aftermarket" (head) issue. As I only have an LX (2012), I also have no Bluetooth (nor an option to factory-upgrade, an issue of significant frustration for me). It is good to be aware of some of the factors involved.

While the possibility of an integration-friendly Alpine option is tempting to wait for, I think the price is just going to push it over the edge for me. At any rate, thanks for sharing your insights.
Hey you know you can add Bluetooth to your civic LX right for about 20 bucks?all you need is an ad2p Bluetooth aux dongle for your car and that's it

·
Registered
4 Posts
well every car i owned eventually had a new stereo . i am already tired of looking at pre school buttons and volume knob, honda sure screwed up.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.