9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 si, just got flashpro and started tuning with etunez, going great. noticed that my charging voltage is pretty low when cruising. charging at 12.5v. when i let off the throttle it goes up to 14.5v. had the economy mode turned off on the last revision but the same issue. i charged and tested the battery today at work, battery is better than fine. went to go home and service charging system came up and was only charging at 12.1v. checked battery terminals, they were kind of shit so i cleaned them and that issue was gone. thought maybe on the drive home it wouldnt drop below 14v but it still did. anywone else have this issue? i emailed the tuner asking about it but im sure the weekend wont provide any emails back until after the weekend. could this have anything to do with the engine grounds? have a hard time believing that as i have the stock intake and its only 4 years old.

·
Registered
940 Posts
The ecu controller the alternator output so you can see anywhere from 12-14v when the car is running. This is normal on these cars.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even with economy mode turned off with flashpro? Thought that was the whole point of turning it off?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tuner seems to think theres a problem since its supposed to stay at 14v with economy off. checked a few grounds , cleaned re installed, cleaned battery terminals even better, still randomly dropping voltage to 12.3-12.6 while driving.

·
Registered
334 Posts
12.3 - 12.6 volts is perfectly normal. This is called ELD Electronic Load Detection. The cars ECU only charges the battery when needed. In the old days voltage fluctuation could cause issues with injectors not working at 100% do to low voltage. However if your not running a turbo and some ridiculously large injectors I don't think you should have a problem. Only other reason to disable ELD would be if you were running a high output stereo system i.e. a subwoofer and amp.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes, i know all about the eld and how it works. im just curious as to why setting economy mode off on flashpro isnt making the alternator output 14v constantly. im not concerned about the 12v output for now as its not going to effect anything but im starting to think it has something to do with the aftermarket alternator i installed last year.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Economy mode has nothing to do with the ELD.

You know how the ELD works but apparently not how Econ-mode works.....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Ok. So what's the point of turning the option off on flashpro? From what I've read its supposed to make it charge at a constant 14v.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Econ-mode does 3 things(that I am aware of)

Prevents the AC from running too much, reduces acceleration power from a stop,changes the transmission shift maps.

However if the ECON button isnt enabled,these things shouldn't occur,so I do not know the relevance of disabling ECON via flashpro.

·
Registered
297 Posts

Believe OP was talking about turning off the FLASHPRO option where stock ECU stops charging the battery at times...to save parasitic load on alternator. Your comments extra funny cause you were kinda demeaning, and OP has a Si! Si don't have a Econ mode button!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Believe OP was talking about turning off the FLASHPRO option where stock ECU stops charging the battery at times...to save parasitic load on alternator. Your comments extra funny cause you were kinda demeaning, and OP has a Si! Si don't have a Econ mode button!
The SI also doesn't have an ECON mode, per se. So I guess I was confused with what he was trying to describe. He used the word ECON so I just assumed he ment the typical ECON in base model Civics.

He's really talking about the ELD, which is technically used for economy and I guess that is how Hondata terms it:shrug:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im guessing like the si engine whine i hear, i'll never figure out why this option on flashpro will not work properly.

·
Registered
297 Posts
im guessing like the si engine whine i hear, i'll never figure out why this option on flashpro will not work properly.
Now I'm curious, cause I had a bad alternator that sounded like I was super charged, and belt would slip when wet. Do you think you got bad bearings in the alternator, and the pulleys locking up/belt slipping on occasion?

If this has been brought up, I apologise for missing it. Video of noise would be interesting.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now I'm curious, cause I had a bad alternator that sounded like I was superior charged, and belt would slip when wet. Do you think you got bad bearings in the alternator, and the pulleys locking up/belt slipping on occasion?

If this has been brought up, I apologise for missing it. Video of noise would be interesting.
It makes the noise when the belt is off too. I replaced my alternator before I tried this for some stupid reason on my part. I wish I still had my OEM alternator.

If you go to the link I have 2 or 3 videos of it. https://youtu.be/rTKxqC5iGsw

·
Registered
297 Posts
Watched all 3. First, I like your exhaust, sounds great.

The whine I hear, and I understand that audio may be different in real life, sounds just like my car. I hear the wine and injector firing just like that. Ill shoot up a video in a few hours of mine for comparison.

·
Registered
297 Posts
https://youtu.be/wiRLA3CUY-8
What I think you describe as whine, you can't hear too much until I rev it (even then, hard to hear).
1000cc injectors naked on a RBC intake, short ram intake to turbo, and 3" Full Race exhaust tends to overpower normal sounds.
Can you hear a bit of the noise in my video?

·
Registered
53 Posts
This is maybe a little off topic, but does involve the ELD. I've had my 2015 LX Coupe for just under a year, now. I have added various aftermarket accessories, but nothing that draws a large amount of current (no amplifiers, no engine mods, etc.). One of the mods, however, is a digital voltmeter. When I first put that on shortly after getting the car, I noticed that it usually said about 12.2 V when the engine was running, but then would jump to about 14.1 V when I turned on the headlights. I learned this was a function of the ELD, and it worked that way for months. Then, in the past 1-2 months, I noticed the voltage being around 14.0 even with the headlights off, but after a day or two, it would go back to the way it was before. Now, for the past several days or so, my voltage is always around 14.0 with the engine running, regardless of whether the headlights or any other accessory is on or off.

Note that no factory warning lights are on, and the car starts and runs normally. If I had not installed the aftermarket voltmeter, then I would not even be aware that this is happening.

Could it be that my battery is starting to get a little weak, and that the ELD is detecting this and running the full 14.0 V to keep it charged better? Or could there be another reason for this?

·
Registered
297 Posts
This is maybe a little off topic, but does involve the ELD. I've had my 2015 LX Coupe for just under a year, now. I have added various aftermarket accessories, but nothing that draws a large amount of current (no amplifiers, no engine mods, etc.). One of the mods, however, is a digital voltmeter. When I first put that on shortly after getting the car, I noticed that it usually said about 12.2 V when the engine was running, but then would jump to about 14.1 V when I turned on the headlights. I learned this was a function of the ELD, and it worked that way for months. Then, in the past 1-2 months, I noticed the voltage being around 14.0 even with the headlights off, but after a day or two, it would go back to the way it was before. Now, for the past several days or so, my voltage is always around 14.0 with the engine running, regardless of whether the headlights or any other accessory is on or off.

Note that no factory warning lights are on, and the car starts and runs normally. If I had not installed the aftermarket voltmeter, then I would not even be aware that this is happening.

Could it be that my battery is starting to get a little weak, and that the ELD is detecting this and running the full 14.0 V to keep it charged better? Or could there be another reason for this?
Personally I'd remove your voltage gauge, and forget about it. It's gonna vary, and if you watch it, it's probably going to drive you nuts.

If I added circuits, I would rather monitor amperage.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yep, an ammeter hooked to my main aftermarket accessory power feed is part of a near-future project that I have in mind. Every accessory that I've added that turns on when the key is turned on is wired to the power wire that feeds the power port/cigarette lighter socket in the lower console. It says right on there "180 watts maximum", which, at 12 volts, is 15 amps, and I'm sure I'm not drawing anywhere near that. Probably no more than about 2 amps at this point. I do have a few effect/accessory LED lights hooked to a fused wire from the battery so that I can turn them on when the car is off, but I rarely have them on when driving and therefore this would not affect the ELD or current draw on the electrical system.

EDIT/UPDATE...

Okay, this is getting weird. The ELD just kicked back on tonight -- when I got home, I parked and turned off the headlights while the engine was still running -- and got about 12.2 volts. What is weird is this... I first started having the unusual behavior when I hooked up a little gizmo that I built that is supposed to be a performance timer, and one of the things it can do (if the proper switches are turned on) is to time how long your foot is on the brake (to time 60-to-0 braking and things like that). I get this brake signal from the wire going right to the left rear tail/brake light bulb, at the wire just a few inches from the bulb itself.

When this function is engaged, hitting the brake causes a very low current (about 50mA) relay to engage in my device -- and this happens by getting the 12 volt power from the brake wire to power the relay -- and then the relay sends power to a wire on a digital timer to activate it. Keep in mind, this ONLY happens when I have a particular switch on my device turned on to engage this function, otherwise the wire coming from the brake light bulb just stops at the switch and does not do anything else -- and I usually drive with the function turned off.

For safety, I also wired a 3 amp fuse in line with this brake-sense wire, and the fuse is mounted right by the connection point near the bulb itself. So, for the heckuvit, I decided to pull that fuse tonight to see what would happen. At first -- nothing -- I was still getting about 14 volts with engine running regardless of headlights or any other accessories. But after driving a total of about 1-1.5 hours (in three separate trips), that's when the ELD started to drop the voltage again with headlights off. And there was nothing out of the ordinary about these driving trips -- normal speeds and traffic flow.

This really makes no sense to me, as that wire by the tail/brake light bulb is clearly high-current and meant to deliver 1-2 amps to light that incandescent bulb, so its hard to imagine that tapping 50 mA off of it to drive a relay would have any noticeable affect -- ESPECIALLY WHEN THE RELAY SWITCH IS OFF so that it is not even electrically hooked up! But, there it is -- I first started having the unusual behavior a month or two ago when I first hooked up this circuit, and now it seems to be subsiding after pulling that fuse I installed.

This could all be a coincidence, so I'll keep an eye on it for now and drive it without the fuse for a while. But I may end up getting a brake signal through an alternate means -- which would probably involve mounting a photocell by a brake light (probably the 3rd brake light) and doing it in such a way so that daylight doesn't get to the photocell and trip it. If my circuit really is causing the unusual ELD activity, then I'd be really curious as to the mechanism involved. Maybe that extra wire -- even with the relay not switched on -- is acting like an antenna picking up interference, which is subtly getting into the electrical system and confusing the ELD or its support circuitry. I know that sounds bizarre, but with all of the computers in a modern car, who knows?

Sorry for such a long post -- just wanted to post my findings and theories.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts