9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I own a 2015 Si and yesterday while driving a "check starter system" light came on. When I got to my destination and turned my car off, it would not turn back on. After a while it eventually did. So this morning I took it in to my local Honda dealership and they said they did a system update and that they've never heard of this light.. I've read that others have had this problem with 2014 civics.. but has anyone with the 2015s? If so, how did you get yours fixed? I'm nervous it will continue to happen.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I've seen this already on this board. It's the clutch switch. Don't let them change any other parts.... they should actually look up problems instead of B.S.'ing you.

Reactions: 2013ACURAILX

·
Registered
1,391 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only thing they did was a system update. It hasn't come back on but I feel like it will. If it does, they'll probably continue to say there's nothing wrong..

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I usually just come out and tell them that I saw the issue on the forums and it's THIS... please fix it according to what 20 other people said was the problem and not pull sh*t out of your ass.

·
Registered
440 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey all. I own a 2015 Si and yesterday while driving a "check starter system" light came on. When I got to my destination and turned my car off, it would not turn back on. After a while it eventually did. So this morning I took it in to my local Honda dealership and they said they did a system update and that they've never heard of this light.. I've read that others have had this problem with 2014 civics.. but has anyone with the 2015s? If so, how did you get yours fixed? I'm nervous it will continue to happen.
girlfriend just texted a picture of her 2015 si with 4k miles displaying this message.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took mine to the dealer for the 3rd time, finally asking to speak to the service manager. I explained my frustration and how none of his service advisors seem to have a clue about this issue and I'd been given the runaround for the past 12 months. Funny how they found a software update and flashed my car. Here is the invoice in case anyone else is having the same issue. Text Paper Document Font Newsprint

·
Registered
31 Posts
I took mine to the dealer for the 3rd time, finally asking to speak to the service manager. I explained my frustration and how none of his service advisors seem to have a clue about this issue and I'd been given the runaround for the past 12 months. Funny how they found a software update and flashed my car. Here is the invoice in case anyone else is having the same issue. View attachment 400402
Kinda makes me glad I have a 2012... kinda...

·
Registered
39 Posts
I installed a remote starter on my SI and I see this only when its started with the remote. Only thing I can figure is the car is smart enough to know its running and it shouldnt be HA!
For your situation I dunno know but I feel like it might have been a bug in the logic.. there I have officially posted a completely useless post.. my job is done for today.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just called Honda North America (800) 999-1009. They say, we just don't have enough people calling in to make it an official "recall". So, all of you, please give a shout to Honda if you have this problem. May be, they will let their dealers know about the issue and it will make our lives a little easier in the future.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Only occurs on our cars, because the Si is the only Honda car made with a manual trans and push button start. Only one.
Apologies for posting on an old thread. I have a Honda Civic EX 2014 (not an Si), it has a 5 speed manual and push-button start, and I have had (and continue to have) this intermittent issue with the "Check Starter System" showing up and having to hold in the button for the car to start. I replaced the car's battery (which was genuinely failing, not surprising on a 5 year old car) and then they told me the alternator was faulty. I went to the local Honda dealer who confirmed using their diagnostic tools, that the alternator was faulty, not covered under the powertrain warranty, and wanted over $500 to replace it. I took it to my personal mechanic (who does not work for Honda), and his diagnostic equipment also said the alternator was bad, so I had it replaced with a Bosch lifetime warranty alternator. But the Check Starter System message still shows up. I'm pretty ticked that I replaced an alternator that was probably just fine. I'll try the clutch relay switch thingy next, I guess, but I wish I'd tried it first instead of listening to the supposed professionals. If anyone's done this clutch switch replacement, please let me know how easy/difficult it was and what the part number is, if you know it.
I'm not sure if the EX was available with a manual shift in 2015 but it definitely was (at least here in Canada) in 2014. Mine is VIN 2HGFB2E52EH000***.
Ian

·
Registered
4 Posts
If anyone is still experiencing this issue w/ the push to start system and getting this error code you try changing the starter switch which is about the clutch pedal. The part number is 36760-SM4-003. Before i switch the part out, i would have to hold the the push to start button down for the car to turn over. Occasionally, the car wouldn’t turn over so i would have to connect a battery booster to the battery for the to start

·
Registered
192 Posts
If anyone is still experiencing this issue w/ the push to start system and getting this error code you try changing the starter switch which is about the clutch pedal. The part number is 36760-SM4-003. Before i switch the part out, i would have to hold the the push to start button down for the car to turn over. Occasionally, the car wouldn’t turn over so i would have to connect a battery booster to the battery for the to start
Does it click?

Sent from my iPhone X while on the toilet.

·
Registered
192 Posts
OK. now this light is back again. It started a week or 2 ago where it would come on when it was idling for about 5 minutes or more. Now it just pops on right after I start the car. I checked all the fuses and they're all good. I changed out the alternator yesterday since that's the last of the big 3. Started it up and check charging system warning and battery light on again. This time I was able to pull codes. I got a p16e3 code which is telling me there is no communication to the battery sensor. The sensor is new. So now I have to go look for a short somewhere. WTF. I'll update once I find anything.

·
I Need A Vacation
14,067 Posts
OK. now this light is back again. It started a week or 2 ago where it would come on when it was idling for about 5 minutes or more. Now it just pops on right after I start the car. I checked all the fuses and they're all good. I changed out the alternator yesterday since that's the last of the big 3. Started it up and check charging system warning and battery light on again. This time I was able to pull codes. I got a p16e3 code which is telling me there is no communication to the battery sensor. The sensor is new. So now I have to go look for a short somewhere. WTF. I'll update once I find anything.
I'm just wondering out loud here but I'm thinking you might want to take this to good Honda mechanic to get this diagnosed rather than continuing throwing parts at the car just saying.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm just wondering out loud here but I'm thinking you might want to take this to good Honda mechanic to get this diagnosed rather than continuing throwing parts at the car just saying.
Well I have 165k+ miles on it for a 2015. I did get a new serp belt which I haven't installed yet. I just drove it around today with my phone using a code reader. It looks like the alternator is outputting 13.6v constantly. Is that normal?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts