9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
New here but not new to working on our 2012 Civic EX sedan but this problem is a new one to me. Check VSA and Check power steering came up on the dash the other day and hasn't gone away.

First off, my Scangauge won't read the codes, its too simple. All it shows are "pending" codes since there isn't an actual check engine light. Are there any relatively inexpensive DTC readers that will confirm that the steering angle sensor got knocked out of spec or will I have to take it to a shop to confirm it?

Secondly, what are the chances I hit a pot hole, knocked the alignment out of spec (or the sensor) and that set off the VSA and power steering lights? My commute to work is on a pretty rough road with pot holes everywhere.

NOTHING else is wrong with the car, drives fine and is completely stock. Any help is appreciated! I've already had the battery checked and its fine (95%), gas cap is good, brake fluid is good...

·
Registered
383 Posts
radio code...
hold the power for 3 seconds, have your code handy just in case.

if you had a honda specific scanner for the body modules, you could reset that way.

consider a foxewell or autel with the Honda software.

it pays for itself with one shop visit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
radio code...
hold the power for 3 seconds, have your code handy just in case.

if you had a honda specific scanner for the body modules, you could reset that way.

consider a foxewell or autel with the Honda software.

it pays for itself with one shop visit.
I'm seeing those scanners on Amazon but not sure any of them have Honda software. Got another source? I'm all for buying tools to do the job right.

·
Registered
383 Posts
order direct from the foxwell official store linked through aliexpress, close to 100 bux cheaper than scamazon if you dont mind waiting a 3 weeks to a month.

The NT510 Elite is a good bidirectional starter scanner for DIY.
They come preloaded with one vehicle of your choice.

the NT809 is what I have, it does all vehicles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I ran through that Honda document you linked, did everything step by step and the pending codes are still there. The VSA light is off now but it doesn't seem like it reset anything, all my radio presets were still there, just had to reset the clock so it seems like all it did was disconnect the battery. I did leave the key in position 2 in the ignition for 13min instead of 10min, surely it couldn't be that sensitive??

·
Registered
383 Posts
stored codes will remain unless cleared with a scanner.

are all the dash lights off ? that was the point of the battery cable reset.

the key on simply discharges voltage, some procedures call for hitting the brake pedal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
stored codes will remain unless cleared with a scanner.

are all the dash lights off ? that was the point of the battery cable reset.

the key on simply discharges voltage, some procedures call for hitting the brake pedal.
No the dash lights came back on shortly after starting the car. The fact that it never asked me the anti theft code and it saved all my radio presets tells me I didn't do something right. I'll try again tomorrow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Uh oh! Code came up 81-20 which is "Acceleration sensor inside of modulator control unit internal circuit malfunction" Erased the code so we'll see if it comes back. ****, I hope it doesn't, those modulators aren't cheap and I'll be tempted to trade the car in so I don't have to deal with it lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When you trade the car in I'm sure the first thing any dealer will do is run the car for any and all codes lol.
Fair point. I actually ordered a low mile VSA modulator off eBay yesterday for $145. Apparently brand new units are around $1000 and need to be programmed at the dealer but good used units you swap in and bleed the brakes and go. Crossing my fingers it solves the issue!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fair point. I actually ordered a low mile VSA modulator off eBay yesterday for $145. Apparently brand new units are around $1000 and need to be programmed at the dealer but good used units you swap in and bleed the brakes and go. Crossing my fingers it solves the issue!
Did the same with my SI. Changed the modulator from a wrecked coupe and codes never came back. Make sure you use a flared wrench when breaking loose the brake lines from the unit!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
When you trade the car in I'm sure the first thing any dealer will do is run the car for any and all codes lol.
The last two cars I’ve traded in in Vancouver bc the dealers gave me a price with out even driving the car. This was in the last year.

Not

1 - 18 of 18 Posts