9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I just got an LX a few weeks ago and since I moved up from a Spartan jeep wrangler im loving it a lot. However, one problem I've noticed that when I smoke cigarettes in my car (please, dont waste your time telling me not to smoke in my car, its not going to change anything) that the smoke seems to hover in the wide open dash instead of going out the window and, especially when im stopped, the ash seems to get swept up in the air around the car and then shot right back into the car which sucks. Usually ends up deposited on the floor behind the drivers seat, which is strange.

So other smokers, what do you do when you smoke? I turn off max ac so the smoke doesn't circulate through the ac, and I turn the fan to blow on both feet and vents because I thought the air blowing through the vents was pushing the ash into the back instead of out the window. Even with the reduced blowing speed it doesn't help. I live in Louisiana so it's way too hot to turn off the ac completely or have it going solely on the feet.

I mean if I could have my wishes I'd motorize the quarter windows and just use those when smoking because they would be perfect to create just enough negative pressure in the cabin to suck the smoke and ash out...but I've never even heard of anyone doing that...if it has been done someone point me in the right direction

·
Registered
286 Posts
I smoke in mine but usually only 1 a day. Otherwise i will stop and get out to smoke. i dont have any problem with smoke hovering over dash. i always have the window down and blow the smoke out the car. I get ashes in the car too but i have w every car.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Vanilla Ice is my hero!!!
539 Posts
I don't smoke in my cars anymore but when I did, I would have the ac on full blast (using fresh/external air) and crack the window about an inch or more. I pointed the vents almost as low as they would go aiming at my lower chest/stomach. I would hold the steering wheel with my left hand and the cig with the right. My right forearm would rest over my left wrist with the cig always hovering near the cracked window. So, the smoke from the cig would always flow out and I wouldn't really have an ash problem. I don't think you can really help the little ashes from floating around. I didn't have the smoke smell problem though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont really have a smell problem because I wash and vacuum the car out weekly and apply ozium liberally. What you do sounds pretty similar to what I do. I guess ill just have to live with it, I guess I just kinda figured the civic with a more aerodynamic curvy design wouldn't fall victim to the same problems that befell the brick that was my jeep.

·
Registered
68 Posts
what I learn is wait till you don't feel the wind blowing inside your car, then blow out the smoke when the wind goes outside haha
no smoke problem but ash is still there. gets on the dashboard all the time and clean the car weekly

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't Smoke...

Don't smoke in your car....

I smoke too, well my smokes are what is actually smoking but... I won't smoke in my civic because no matter what you might do to counter the smell the car is going to stink anyway.

If you can't go an hour without a smoke you need to cut back anyway... Besides can you say "residual value?" Prospective buyers are keen these days to want a vehicle that does not smell like an ashtray.....

·
Registered
833 Posts

·
H2O in hydrant - K9P out
2,169 Posts
Like Smokeditty said. Always have window cracked about an inch, inch and a half when driving. Hold cig in left hand up near crack of window. Fast moving air creates a pressure imbalance so air in car will be sucked out towards the faster moving air. The faster you drive the more "suck", so flicking ashes through this crack at higher speeds is ideal (50 km/hr plus). If stopped at light... Option 1: quick cig hand switch (left to right). Left hand puts window all the way down. Hand switch again (right to left) hold cig significantly outside window until you get the green. Then do the opposite to put window back up. Option 2: Run all red lights

·
Registered
57 Posts
Speaking as a motorcyclist as well as a Civic owner, please don't flick your ashes or butts out the window. Or at least look in your rearview for a motorcycle first. Thanks loads.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Agreed about butts. Disagree about ashes.
I've had ashes actually blow into my helmet, let alone get all over my riding clothes. Well, it was worth a try.

When I find I'm riding behind someone who's smoking (and believe me, it's obvious), I get to the far right of the lane until I can get the hell away from the car.

·
H2O in hydrant - K9P out
2,169 Posts
I've had ashes actually blow into my helmet, let alone get all over my riding clothes. Well, it was worth a try.

When I find I'm riding behind someone who's smoking (and believe me, it's obvious), I get to the far right of the lane until I can get the hell away from the car.
Man, what are the odds that the ashes would stay together in the air at a high speed and then not just blow around you, but actually go into your helmet? You sir, are a very unlucky guy. I would be extremely surprised if this happened to anyone else. I don't understand how the ashes stay all over your clothes. (?)

BTW I'm not a smoker anymore (...well of ciggs anyway).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't smoke in your car....

I smoke too, well my smokes are what is actually smoking but... I won't smoke in my civic because no matter what you might do to counter the smell the car is going to stink anyway.

If you can't go an hour without a smoke you need to cut back anyway... Besides can you say "residual value?" Prospective buyers are keen these days to want a vehicle that does not smell like an ashtray.....
I work a job where I drive around and spend a good 85-90% of my workday in my car (I got the civic for mpgs) and I dont have the time, nor the willingness to get out of my car in the 100+ heat and the 100% humidity just to smoke a cig. Im going to be driving this car until it breaks down and im in a position to buy a new car (5+ years from now) so im not concerned about residual value. Guess I shoulda just opted for the EX for the sunroof.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I did smoke in my old car, A LOT!! Got my 12 ex brand new and I want to keep it that way. Now I smoke before or when I get to my destination.

Sent from my Desire HD

·
Registered
156 Posts
smoke the green stuff, you wont care about ashes or smoke lol

·
H2O in hydrant - K9P out
2,169 Posts
You could buy window visors if you have a sedan. Might help you be able to get the ashes farther out the window so they don't blow back in. (???)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts