9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I put a deposit on a 2012 Hybrid yesterday. There is one coming on the 20th of May. It is a base model and not the one I would buy. The deposit is just for the right to test drive the car.

I've test drove the Insight and the CRZ Hybrids. The insight is disappointing and will never be on my driveway. The CRZ is peppy but too cramped. The SI Coupe would be my choice if I wanted a sporty car with a manual.

I've owned a CRV, Ridgeline, two 08' Accord Coupes, two 06's SI's and currently driving an 09 EXL Coupe and a 2010 EXL Sedan.

What are your thoughts about the Civic Hybrid.

I know that the batteries are now Lithium. I know about the I Mid screen. I honestly hoped for a higher HP. The weight is almost a hundred pounds heavier than the EXL Sedan. The reviews are mixed, but overall drivability, the Honda Hybrid wins over the Prius, Fusion and others. The MPG's is got closer to the Prius within 4-5 mpg.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im surprised theres even one coming on the 20th..I thought Hybrids were made 100% in japan.

I test drove a Green Opal (very nice color). As I mentioned, it was a base model. I was pleasantly surprised with my experience:
1. It drove very smooth and very quite. Very much like an upper end sedan. Even better than the 08 Accord Cpe I owned, and quieter.
2. The IMA was also very smooth and quite. The running engine was so quite, I had to look at the tach to tell if it was running.
3. The acceleration and torque were very impressive. What is unique is when you step on the gas, i.e. to pass, you don't hear the usual downshift of the tranny (AT). All you feel is a sudden increase in torque, and the engine revving. Reminded me of my 06 Si's.
4. The interior is larger than the 2011 EXL Sedan. Has 2 more inches in head room, and a lot of leg space in the back. The feeling of roominess is immediately noticeable, definitely not of a compact, more like a full size.
5. The model I drove had cloth seats and trim on the doors. Very nice quality.

The reason I had to place a down payment of 500.00 four days before it's arrival was because my sales guy (whom I had bought eight Honda's from) called me when he first knew it was scheduled in. That if I don't do it, someone else will. Once it is sold, they won't let anyone test drive it. After I test drove the car to get the feel, I placed an order for one with NAV. Delivered; 27900.

I was going to trade in my wifes 2010 EXL Sedan w/NAV. After doing the math, My car payments would have been 80 dollars more.

I cancelled the order yesterday. After thoroughly evaluating my desire for the car and the practicality of the trade, I concluded that; it would be a downgrade of trim model, the gas saving was only going to be $34.00 a month.

But the next car we purchase will definitely be a Honda IMA Hybrid. The IMA is far superior system than any othe Hybrids in the class. The 2012 Civic Hybrid is one of the first to change over to Lithium Batteries, a very big plus.

·
2014 January FB2/FB6 ROTM
1,937 Posts
too be honest in my opinion, just get an EX or EX-L civic cuz in reality, the civic already gives out great gas mileage, well above the epa estimates if you drive pretty constant speeds without revving and braking a lot. and also, its cheaper too. more power since u stated you wished the new hybrids had more HP ;)

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
^^agreed the difference in mileage won't be enough when you lose on power you were hoping for.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
54 Posts
I live in Tampa and had my Hybrid with Navi and leather shipped from a dealer in Miami to a local dealer here about a month ago (dealer trade) I didn't like the idea of putting down a deposit and wait weeks/moths for delivery... I test drove 2012 EX after test driving 2012 Hybrid (base model) - for me the EX feels like driving my 2009 EX, while the hybrid is totally different driving experience... I agree with sonitex comments from 5/24, I'm not sure what other civic hybrid or non hybrid drivers get as far as MPG - I get around 52 MPG and I'm happy camper :)

·
Banned
8,333 Posts
i think alot of folx dont calculate the savings in gas versus higher price.
but good ideas for both!
you really are a digger shimp! LOL! :)

·
Banned
8,333 Posts
i have read most all threads in all forums
ask foo bird, specifically the hybrid forum:)
that's great! I've noticed your activity is through the roof :)

Always on when i am :)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Having owned a 2010 Civic EX-L sedan with leather and navi, I have to say I would never buy that model Civic ever again. The handling, coming from a 2006 Si, was unbearably bad, the sound system was awful for being the high end model (the coupe and Si models got the subwoofer, etc.), the automatic transmission was one of the worst I've ever encountered, and the fuel economy couldn't make up for the lack of power I gave up from an Si and the price.

That said, I test drove a Hybrid (last gen) and I absolutely loved it. The handling was still bad, but the drive was smooth and quiet, and the transmission didn't make me want to shoot myself in the face every time I drove the car.

If I ever went to a non-Si Civic again, it would take a lot to get me back into that particular model, and not a hybrid. That said, it is a completely different car than the Si and you can't even begin to compare the two. I know its the non-Si's are good cars, but they just didn't work for me - I'd probably have been happier in a Mazda3, though the EX-L was still a fantastic car - problems and all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts