9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a new car but not sure what to get. I like both cars (9th gen civic si and 5th gen camaro) but I want something that I will have fun with and want to learn more about both. I’m on a 10k budget but I want something reliable, fast, and fun. Any tips on what I should do?

·
Photoshop Masta
2,769 Posts
You came to a 9th Gen Civic forum to ask if you should choose a Civic or a Camaro? LOL jk

Personally, I am not a fan of Camaro's so I won't be much help in picking one over the other, Civic all the way.

But lets pretend I'm not biased.

Personally, I NEVER let the speed/power alone be the reason I choose one vehicle over the other. I have friends who have chosen vehicles solely on their speed/power and they ended up regretting it.

This is what I look for in a car: In no particular order.
1- Aesthetics
2- Reliability
3- Safety
4- Comfort
5- Driveablity
6- Performance
7- Price (affordability)

I actually knew what car I wanted the moment I laid my eyes on it. 2012 Si. Saw it on an ad. Looked up all the specs, watched video reviews on YouTube, checked for its availability around where I live. Found the one I wanted. Drove out to the dealership and drove it home 2 hours later.

Now if they both have everything you're looking for, then, flip a coin :)

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,390 Posts
Welcome to 9th gen.

Have you driven both, or either? That might make up your mind for you in a big hurry.

·
Registered
910 Posts
It really depends on your goal. If you're getting a Camaro, I'm assuming you're talking about an SS, don't waste your time on a V6. The Civic Si is going to be more reliable and versatile of course. GM's small block is very reliable, its the rest of the car you have to worry about.

If you're looking for fast, the Camaro really is the obvious choice. Its a lot more power per dollar and there are even more avenues for modding than there are with a Civic Si. The Civic is a much better all around car though. As far as I can tell here are the pros of each

Civic Si
Better interior
Better fuel economy
Better reliability
Better all weather drivability
Better gearbox
Higher, freer revving engine.

Camaro
Much more power & torque
More freedom for modding.
Should be a faster car everywhere except the tightest and most technical mountain roads.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You came to a 9th Gen Civic forum to ask if you should choose a Civic or a Camaro? LOL jk

Personally, I am not a fan of Camaro's so I won't be much help in picking one over the other, Civic all the way.

But lets pretend I'm not biased.

Personally, I NEVER let the speed/power alone be the reason I choose one vehicle over the other. I have friends who have chosen vehicles solely on their speed/power and they ended up regretting it.

This is what I look for in a car: In no particular order.
1- Aesthetics
2- Reliability
3- Safety
4- Comfort
5- Driveablity
6- Performance
7- Price (affordability)

I actually knew what car I wanted the moment I laid my eyes on it. 2012 Si. Saw it on an ad. Looked up all the specs, watched video reviews on YouTube, checked for its availability around where I live. Found the one I wanted. Drove out to the dealership and drove it home 2 hours later.

Now if they both have everything you're looking for, then, flip a coin :)
I agree but do you think it’s a good idea to get an si and spend money to make it faster?

·
Photoshop Masta
2,769 Posts
I’ve driven both but just love both of them in their own aspects
Maybe try searching a Camaro forum to see what sorta mods are offered.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with a Honda...I've owned 3 and never had any complaints.

My sister bought a 96 Civic in 2003 and drove it for 6 years, it's been considered a total loss TWICE!! My dad hung onto it and 3 years ago sold it to my neighbors niece, it's still running beautifully till this day.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It really depends on your goal. If you're getting a Camaro, I'm assuming you're talking about an SS, don't waste your time on a V6. The Civic Si is going to be more reliable and versatile of course. GM's small block is very reliable, its the rest of the car you have to worry about.

If you're looking for fast, the Camaro really is the obvious choice. Its a lot more power per dollar and there are even more avenues for modding than there are with a Civic Si. The Civic is a much better all around car though. As far as I can tell here are the pros of each

Civic Si
Better interior
Better fuel economy
Better reliability
Better all weather drivability
Better gearbox
Higher, freer revving engine.

Camaro
Much more power & torque
More freedom for modding.
Should be a faster car everywhere except the tightest and most technical mountain roads.
I was thinking more of a v6 Camaro. But my goal is to have a fast but reliable car,

·
Photoshop Masta
2,769 Posts
I agree but do you think it’s a good idea to get an si and spend money to make it faster?
You said you have 10K, you can drop half that on a down payment and use the rest for mods....if you're that hard-up on modding it for speed.

I'm not big on speed or anything racing related...I got the car cause I just I love how it looks and drives, plus the price was right and the car just felt like ME!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe try searching a Camaro forum to see what sorta mods are offered.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with a Honda...I've owned 3 and never had any complaints.

My sister bought a 96 Civic in 2003 and drove it for 6 years, it's been considered a total loss TWICE!! My dad hung onto it and 3 years ago sold it to my neighbors niece, it's still running beautifully till this day.
If I get a civic si would it be a good idea to add a turbo kit to it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You said you have 10K, you can drop half that on a down payment and use the rest for mods....if you're that hard-up on modding it for speed.

I'm not big on speed or anything racing related...I got the car cause I just I love how it looks and drives, plus the price was right and the car just felt like ME!
I don’t care that much for looks. I like more of what’s under the hood. Maybe a sleeper civic si

·
Photoshop Masta
2,769 Posts
If I get a civic si would it be a good idea to add a turbo kit to it?
I've seen turbo kits added and I'm sure there is a thread in these forums that are dedicated to it. Like I said, I'm not really into engine modding but there is a plethora of info in these forums for you!

·
Registered
910 Posts
I was thinking more of a v6 Camaro. But my goal is to have a fast but reliable car,
Honestly the V6 Camaro (especially these older ones) are piles. Go with the Civic Si. The v6 Camaro and Civic Si have very comparable acceleration, but the Si will be so much more fun and engaging to drive. The small block v8 IS the appeal of the Camaro, the V6 is pure rental car. Every enthusiast I've seen who buys a v6 muscle car spends their whole time of ownership wishing they just sprung for the v8.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,401 Posts
V6 Camaro I wouldn't even bother like saying I'm getting a 4 cylinder Mustang. It's V8 or go home with those cars.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'm pro turbo charging a Civic Si, and I've only don't this once. However, you'll quickly end up with more money in parts/tuning than you paid for the car.
Personally if I had a 10k budget, I'd look for something with a K24, with alot of miles, and a manual. Call me crazy, but...
Manual AWD element for cheap (5k or so). Turbo, upgrade clutch and all. Full sleeper mode, launches well, can haul friends and anything else you need around.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,390 Posts
I'm pro turbo charging a Civic Si, and I've only don't this once. However, you'll quickly end up with more money in parts/tuning than you paid for the car.
Personally if I had a 10k budget, I'd look for something with a K24, with alot of miles, and a manual. Call me crazy, but...
Manual AWD element for cheap (5k or so). Turbo, upgrade clutch and all. Full sleeper mode, launches well, can haul friends and anything else you need around.
Love the Element. Too bad it wasn't a more successful seller.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,401 Posts
Either of those with a 4 banger is just a miata with a back seat
I'll take a Miata over a modern day Camaro/Mustang theres more to life than HP/TQ although the classic 70's Camaro/Mustangs I would die for.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts