9th Gen Civic Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I'll take a Miata over a modern day Camaro/Mustang theres more to life than HP/TQ although the classic 70's Camaro/Mustangs I would die for.
I would agree with the first part of that. Those ecoboost stangs with a manual are pretty quick tho unfortunately.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'd go with Civic Si if you're debating between that and a V6 camaro. Boost the Si.

·
Registered
13 Posts
both cars are good looking. I know specifically the 9th gen civic si is a fun car to drive and I will pick the civic si hands down! Plenty of mods available depending on what Set up you want to do “Na or Turbo”. The k24 engine(On the 9th gen civic si) is a great engine for performance and reliability. I know for sure you’ll enjoy it as a great daily driver and even some track days with some modifications to it. I say 9th gen civic all the way you won’t regret it. But make sure before you buy it’s in good shape and not beat the heck up. If you are mechanically inclined you can do a lot yourself with a little research and save money! Whatever you decide to buy I hope you enjoy it to the fullest!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Personally, I’d stay away from the Camero because it’s hard to see out of their small windows. Last month I saw someone hit the curb separating the sidewalk and gas station with their camero when trying to leave the gas station. They hit the curb because they could not see it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Also, if you want to keep it simple, go with a MercRacing supercharger kit. Install in less than a day.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I want to get a new car but not sure what to get. I like both cars (9th gen civic si and 5th gen camaro) but I want something that I will have fun with and want to learn more about both. I’m on a 10k budget but I want something reliable, fast, and fun. Any tips on what I should do?
Gotta go with the Civic Si, its a honda won't need to think twice about reliability. I've been boosted on my 9th gen at 400whp for 3 years. I do also concur with the gentlemen talking about the new ecoboost stangs with the 10 speed automatic. Those things are pretty feisty and actually probably the best bang for your buck car you can get, 5.0 as well. They're just so inexpensive and well made its a real challenge to honda which has become such a powerhouse. Camaro's aren't very well made and you will have issues, especially with blind spots and it being a boat. Lightening one up isn't as easy as a honda so depend on which handling characteristics you prefer. Grip over slip and slide.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Civic SI Sedan
29 Posts
I want to get a new car but not sure what to get. I like both cars (9th gen civic si and 5th gen camaro) but I want something that I will have fun with and want to learn more about both. I’m on a 10k budget but I want something reliable, fast, and fun. Any tips on what I should do?
@Lb35 When I was shopping for a new car, it was year 2013. I decided to go with the 2013 Honda Civic SI sedan because it was 1.) great in looks 2.) 6 Spd manual transmission 3.) fully loaded as a civic so premium audio system, alloy wheels, SI seats with black sport fabric, digital speedometer, fog lights, suspension like shocks and springs are better than the other Civics, factory tuned exhaust, front end honeycomb grill, front bumper and rear bumper, info screen includes average MPG 4.) overall fun to drive as a daily driver In the city, I average about 22-25 MPG. Over my ownership, the most expensive repair was a new clutch kit. Thankfully, having HondaCare helped pay for that. Cosmetically, I need a new paint job because after 4 years in Arizona with no garage, the sun ate away at the paint, starting on the roof. I am planning to drive this car for another 4 years before selling it. It has 67K mi right now. Speaking of current equivalents in the economy sport sedan market, I personally like the Subaru Impreza Sport, which you get full time AWD, not sure about the manual transmission though. The Toyota Corolla looks really cool, FWD, and offered in manual and a hatchback. Looking at Honda, the SI does not look that great. However, the Type R looks like a dream car, track-ready, but really flashy for a daily driver. I feel the Camaro is not even on the same scale as a Civic SI. Civic SI is a tuned economy car. Civic Type R, FWD with Honda's excellent technology, is more compareable to a Camaro, which is muscle car, RWD. Let me know if you have any questions! Love to hear what you choose.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
I used to own a 2014 Camaro SS 1LE. Really awesome car. I had fun tracking it and autocrossing. The 1LE HANDLED with some good tires. If you want to turn heads the car did that bone stock. Nice sounds behind the driver seat, and the exhaust pipes. I wouldn't mind going back to something like that sometime in the future. There are drawbacks though.

1. Fuel economy - very bad unless you're doing 90% highway, its okay.
  2. Interior space, but you don't buy this car for cup holders and passengers - just be sure to keep the family small if you do get one.
  3. Lastly - I raced a Base V6 Camaro after a car meet(from 60-100), and my SS wasn't really smoking him like I thought it should. So that pissed me off, if I paid 15-17K over the base V6, why shouldn't I be gapping that car?
The SI is just more practical, but you'll have to invest some cash into it, if you're into actual performance. Not a lot, IMO, and you don't have to do it all at once.

I hope this helps you make your decision.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I’m leaning more towards an si but what could I do to make it faster and how much hp could I add?

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
I’m leaning more towards an si but what could I do to make it faster and how much hp could I add?
there’s a lot you can do to this car. Turbo is a good option for high HP. There are lots of guys here with setups like the PRL kit.

I run a MercRacing Supercharger. Both kits a pricey but worth it. IMO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
They are both good cars but overall compare the two by what you really want out of a vehicle. I’ve owned both Honda n Chevy but in the long run Camaro is fun, fast and a great muscle car while the Honda is more proficient, better on cost for fuel, resale value is great but any car with computer parts are expensive to repair. Camaro is a fun car but Honda is a good everyday car.

·
Registered
2013 Civic si Dyno Blue Pearl (wish it was Fiji)
25 Posts
9th gen over a 5th gen camaro all day. No need for a heavy boat car lol

·
Registered
917 Posts
9th gen over a 5th gen camaro all day. No need for a heavy boat car lol
I don't have experience with the 5th gen Camaro, but the 6th Gen SS 1LE is one of the best sports cars I've driven. Easily better than any M car out there right now, even better than base model Porsches.

·
Registered
2013 Civic si Dyno Blue Pearl (wish it was Fiji)
25 Posts
The 6th gen SS is a whole different kind of car lol. 6th gen SS guys hate on 5th gens all the time

·
Registered
2015 Honda Civic Si Coupe
713 Posts
This old thread is funny. It's like asking should I buy a Smart Car or Dodge Viper.

I'll take a Miata over a modern day Camaro/Mustang theres more to life than HP/TQ although the classic 70's Camaro/Mustangs I would die for.
I would take the new Miata. I really like how it looks but don't know if I'd fit. I sat in one of the older versions and it sucked.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I'd only buy a Miata if I knew I could K-swap it, and throw a turbo on. I love the S2000, but they are expensive.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts