9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just bought a used '12 Civic with 12k miles on it, and I have to say I'm in love with it. It's one heck of a car, AWESOME!

I just thought, hey.. I don't know a whole lot about this car and am not familiar with its system. Are there any tips/tricks you guys have that you think the average driver might not know about, especially when first getting the car? Anything you found out and were like.. oh that's cool, I didn't know that.

As far as tips/tricks go: anything as small as saying oh there's an extra cupholder somewhere you wouldn't expect it, all the way to to if you press up, left, left, right, down on your steering wheel pad the nearest pizza shop delivers a pizza to your car.

Much appreciated! I can't wait to make better use of my car!

·
Hola
3,746 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum:haysmiley:

As it comes to tricks and such, you may or may not know that you can upload a custom image to the I Mid screen by plugging a thumb drive into the center console. This forum has a bunch of cool stuff about our cars though. Take a look around and I'm sure you'll find a bunch of other stuff here.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,092 Posts
It doesn't work without the auto feature, unless there's a programming feature in the imid for it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Gotta +1 what DWils said. I haven't read it cover to cover but I have read a few sections and it's actually neat how much stuff is in there. It even tells you how to take out your fog lights. I just pull out my manual whenever I'm waiting for my wife to get done with work.

BROWSE THE FORUMS! Go to each forum section of interest and read each post.

I don't know if the 2012's have this feature but in my '13 Si if you bump the turn signal it blinks 3 times. It's superb for lane changes and I've really gotten to like it.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I don't know if the 2012's have this feature but in my '13 Si if you bump the turn signal it blinks 3 times. It's superb for lane changes and I've really gotten to like it.
That was a feature they added for 2013, unfortunately. Minor though.

I also recommend reading the manual, particularly the technology sections. While listening to the radio, hit the Setup button and scroll down to RDS Info and select it - it'll show the station, artist, or song information on supported stations. I hear there's a way to browse RDS stations by genre as well, but I haven't done it and can't remember what my manual said about it.

I'll have to think of some other tips and tricks...make sure you explore the "Menu" options, where you can select which doors lock/unlock and when they do it...the sensitivity to the DRL lights switching to full on lights, etc.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,092 Posts
You can leave the lights on and once you exit the vehicle and lock your car they'll turn off. They will turn back on when you unlock! (And this is without the"auto" feature)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Wait, maybe I misunderstood.

When you say, 'without the"auto" feature,' do you mean the auto feature is turned off, or the car doesn't even have the auto feature?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Wait, maybe I misunderstood.

When you say, 'without the"auto" feature,' do you mean the auto feature is turned off, or the car doesn't even have the auto feature?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he might mean the setting on the stalk must be set to AUTO (as opposed to Off, Parking, or On) for them to automatically turn on/off. If you have it set to Parking or On, it'll chime at you and remind you to turn them off, but won't automatically do it for you.

Additionally, the 2013 LX models for sure (I'm not sure about EX or at what trim level its added) do not have the AUTO headlight function anymore, which I found kind of strange.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Welcome and gratz on the new ride!!!

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,092 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he might mean the setting on the stalk must be set to AUTO (as opposed to Off, Parking, or On) for them to automatically turn on/off. If you have it set to Parking or On, it'll chime at you and remind you to turn them off, but won't automatically do it for you.

Additionally, the 2013 LX models for sure (I'm not sure about EX or at what trim level its added) do not have the AUTO headlight function anymore, which I found kind of strange.
Yes, I get all this, but he said, 'without the auto feature.' This can mean one of the two things I mentioned above, and neither one makes a whole lotta sense to me right now.

Before I start pushing a lot of buttons I'd like to know exactly what he meant.

·
Baned
8,521 Posts
Yes, I get all this, but he said, 'without the auto feature.' This can mean one of the two things I mentioned above, and neither one makes a whole lotta sense to me right now.

Before I start pushing a lot of buttons I'd like to know exactly what he meant.
PM'd so I won't look like an idiot if I'm wrong and to not clog up thread. Also, I think there is another thread on this topic somewhere, like within the last month or so.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 33 Posts