1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Aluminium Member
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
I know who U R.
7,994 Posts
Sweet but doubt we get it here in the states.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,208 Posts
It could be very high. This could be the car that high-perf customers will buy who don't think the Si is a serious (enough) contender.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks for sharing. However after decades of disappointment I'm going to reserve all 'high' expectations and excitement. The day I hear that it's official on some Honda website and that it's not going to be detuned is when I'll start jumping up and down.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would really hope they would bring it here. I would trade in my Si in a heart beat for it if they dont dull it down for the states. Honda sounds like they are likely to do it though but I dont know if I would hold my breath just yet. I dont know about overall sales though but the Si sells like hot cakes at my dealership. I remember the 8th gen Si could not be found anywhere. Its time Honda does something like this.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry to be a spoilsport but I'm not that impressed/excited that it's coming to NA. Sure who wouldn't like a faster, better handling car but here are the downsides (in my opinion)

1) Appearance. It looks God awful from any rear angle. Unless they plan to put the engine in a different body, I wouldn't swap the looks of my '13 Si Sedan for that thing (heavily opinionated, some may like it)

2) Price. I expect they're going to gouge us North Americans because Honda fans will consider this to be the second coming of Christ. I bought my Si for $26,000 and I found it to be a sweet spot here in Canada. All the lower model cars came up to 20-24k (when fully loaded) and then to step up to a GTI, Speed3, WRX, Focus ST I was looking at $30-34k (all prices before taxes and fees and all were plain vanilla).

Considering the market, Honda will at least price it above 30k if not at around $35,000 CAD. For US pricing, using the current Si, working backward using an exchange rate of 1.07 = 1 USD and optioning out the USA Si to match the Canadian (Navi + XM), the prices are near identical. So I estimate $30-32,000 USD depending the features.

If you are so inclined to, with that $4000-9000 saved you can make your Si even better than the Type-R the only downside being you lose your warranty

3) Reliability. I'm sure Honda will put out yet another reliable motor like always BUT keep in mind this one is brand new, not tried and true and then on top of that they're ditching their ways and going turbo. Just keep in mind the benefits and disadvantages of a turbo. Definitely not my cup of tea considering I already look down at my speedometer and think "Better slow down before I get my car towed"

4) Insurance. It's my guess that if the Type-R is as good as it seems it will be, it'll attract the bad drivers and thieves like moths to a flame. Just give your first born to the insurance company and that should cover you for 1 maybe 2 years. This is speculation but not far fetched given the track record previous generations of Civic have had.

5) Subtlety. Not once have I had some idiot pull up to me and ask me to race on the street. Cops don't even look twice as I pass by. People still compliment the car, like once at a gas station a guy joked if I wanted to trade my car for his. I don't need the extra attention both good and bad. (Another opinion)

I also feel bad for Honda if the listen to people begging for it on the internet because most of them beg and plead but will never end up seriously considering buying it anyways once "The Power of Dreams" fades and reality kicks in, yo.

·
I know who U R.
7,994 Posts
I like it^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
31 Posts
I like it^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks.

Rereading it I want to emphasize one thing since my above post was a little negative. The new Type-R looks like it's going to be an amazing car and if I won anything more than $100,000 I'd probably buy it in a heart beat (and rework the back end). However, people just seem to be memorized by it and might not have thought all things through that's why I wrote it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Even coming off a little negative in your above post, I kinda agree with some especially the insurance part. Btw, the Type R rear might look like this

·
I Need A Vacation
13,117 Posts
Even coming off a little negative in your above post, I kinda agree with some especially the insurance part. Btw, the Type R rear might look like this
For somebody like me who needs a functional back seat I'd have to see for myself if the backseat is usable or not.
Looking at the rear I do like the bumper on up, the spoiler is a bit over the top but I can get use to it the bumper on down I don't like as much. The diffuser I'm not crazy about the look and the quad exhaust tip is overdone.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts