9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2012 Civic EX with about 8500 miles on it.

This past week, I've noticed that when I put the car in reverse to back up from a parking place, there usually is a clicking sound that didn't used to be there.

The sound seems to come from the rear of the car.

I'm guessing it's from the brakes but haven't figured it out yet.

Curious if anyone else has experienced this and knows what it might be?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Someone else has posted about a similar issue, I don't remember who though. All that it is is the brake pads seating themselves in which ever direction you're moving. This happens every time I pull out of a parking spot or my garage. If you're worried about it, your car is still under warranty, so just take it in to get it checked out for peace of mind.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Have a 2012 Civic EX with about 8500 miles on it.

This past week, I've noticed that when I put the car in reverse to back up from a parking place, there usually is a clicking sound that didn't used to be there.

The sound seems to come from the rear of the car.

I'm guessing it's from the brakes but haven't figured it out yet.

Curious if anyone else has experienced this and knows what it might be?
I saw an answer from the FAQs from honda's website:

Why do my brakes make a single "click" noise when I back out of a parking place and once again when I drive forward?
A clearance between the brake caliper brackets and the ends of the brake pads allows for heat expansion and avoids corrosion between the caliper bracket and the brake pads. That clearance can cause the pads to hit the caliper brackets when you first apply the brakes in a new directions of travel. When you back up and apply the brakes and then drive forward and apply the brakes, the single "click" noise you hear is a normal characteristic of the brake system.

Frequently Asked Questions - the Official Honda Web Site (Frequently Asked Questions - the Official Honda Web Site)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts