9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lately I have been noticing a clunk or thump under the car. So what happens is when I let the clutch out as soon as I step on the gas pedal I can feel and hear a clunk, i then when i go from 1st to 2nd ile let the clutch out and it's only when I hit the gas pedal there is a noticeable clunk. When I get past 3rd to 4th, ect.... there's no clunk it's only during start off and low gear when there's more torque and happens as soon as I hit the gas pedal, the car shifts great very smooth clutch feels great I'm just trying to figure out what that clunk is,I'm thinking rear motor mount? I feel like that's where the clunk is coming from, any advise or ideas would be great thanks.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,401 Posts
That sounds like the most likely cause, as torque multiplication decreases as road speed and gear number increase, resulting in less stress on driveline components. That would explain why you feel/hear it more in the lower gears.

Of course, the best way to know for sure is to get in there and look/poke around.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I got under the car and checked that mount out and visually I can't tell really I know the way the mount is designed where the bigger rubber bushing part is honestly is just a bad design looks like there could be some play in it. As far as driveline components is there anything with that system that jumps out to you that could potentially be the cause of what's going on?

·
Registered
584 Posts
First place to start is the motor mounts as was mentioned. They are designed to be pretty mushy, with solid mounts there's a lot of noise and vibration. If you know how to do it carefully, you can use a jack to check for play in them. There are 3 of them, one on top transmission side, one on bottom of subframe, and one on top passenger side if I remember right (Si). They are easy to change if they have failed. If you have a aftermarket downpipe/exhaust that's another place to look for clunking.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,401 Posts
Year and trim level of your Civic?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts