9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this site and was curious about tuning when installing a new lightweight flywheel. Will be installing a new clutch and I'm debating on getting a lightweight flywheel but don't wanna drop the money on flashpro to get tuned. If anyone has a link to send me then that would be nice or give me some info

·
Registered
545 Posts
New to this site and was curious about tuning when installing a new lightweight flywheel. Will be installing a new clutch and I'm debating on getting a lightweight flywheel but don't wanna drop the money on flashpro to get tuned. If anyone has a link to send me then that would be nice or give me some info
I've never had a problem with flywheels messing with the tune.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was checking. I'm not tuned now. If I install the flywheel I will have to tune it won't i?

·
Registered
732 Posts
How or why does this change the tune? I just want to understand what's going on.

Thanks

·
Registered
545 Posts
How or why does this change the tune? I just want to understand what's going on.

Thanks
The first time I read the OP, I thought he wanted to know if he had to re-tune his car when he swapped it over to a lightweight flywheel. In that case, No, you don't have to re-tune because the flywheel doesn't change how the engine breathes.

Once I read it again, I think he is asking if he has to have a tune in order to use a lightweight flywheel. In that case, Yes, you need to have a Flash Pro in order to use a flywheel that weighs less than 14 lbs.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I'm just trying to understand why. I'm guessing more timing (advance) or how and when it comes in due to the quicker revs.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I agree if your specifically talking about tuning (air fuel ratios and timing and such) then no you don't need to tune for a lightweight flywheel, the only thing you will need Flashpro for with a lightweight flywheel is to shut off misfire detection because you car I believe will go into limp mode(not totally sure on that) without shutting off misfire detection. So yes if you are getting a lightweight flywheel you will need Flashpro to make your car run with it properly otherwise don't bother putting one in and stick with an 8th gen stock flywheel

·
Registered
545 Posts
I'm just trying to understand why. I'm guessing more timing (advance) or how and when it comes in due to the quicker revs.
Honda went from a 12-tooth crank trigger to a 60-tooth crank trigger with the 9th gen. This allows the ECU to see higher resolution as far as when the power stroke begins. The ECU expects a ∆v/∆t (change in rpm over a given amount of time) for a given combustion event o fall within a certain range, and when there is a rapid change in velocity (like you get with a lightweight flywheel), it is perceived as a misfire event.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Thanks ER

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
You better stick with a 9th Gen clutch and flywheel. No f/p means no other options at this time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
  • Hello, new here also, sweet forum! I purchased an exedy stage 1 organic disc w/ lightweight flywheel and I don't wanna put the light weight in because of emissions and many other reasons listed here earlier. I have flashpro and intend on tuning the car but inspection is coming up soon. I heard I could put the 2006-2011 8th Gen flywheel on my exedy stage 1 organic disc and everything will bolt up fine for the 9TH GEN. Not requiring disabling misfire detection. Do I have other options for flywheels with this kit? Do I go OEM From the dealer? Or napa, autozone, rock auto to save 250$ The supplier for the clutch kit isn't very fond of exchanges or refunds. Thank you

1 - 13 of 13 Posts