9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new 2012 Si Sedan 3 weeks ago have been using it as my daily driver and I love it, its freakin awesome. I haven't been driving it hard at all (no hard launches, etc...) but sometimes when I get out of the car I have the unmistakable smell of clutch. The car still has less than 1000 miles on it and I'm wondering if this is common for breaking things in? This is the first Si that I've owned and the first stick I've driven since highschool (~10 years).

:feedback:
Thanks for help/advice!

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
I did not catch a whiff of the nasty clutch burning smell at all during the break in of this Si, or the last one, or the one before that. But, I did break mine in after driving over a half million miles of driving a manual transmission car.

Your results may vary. new clutches are softer than one with some miles on it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I still think my clutch got softer now that it has 15k miles on it. I have not once ever smelled any clutch burning smell, I know what it smells like, I had a 86 fiero gt master cylinder go out and forced me to ride the clutch to shift to get her home! :(

·
Registered
407 Posts
I haven't smelled clutch but I have smelled brake after going down a steep decline. I though it was odd that they smelled because it really wasn't that long. Clutch and brake smell exactly the same. I'm not going to worry about it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for everyone's input. It isnt a very strong smell, I don't want you to think I'm riding the clutch. I'm guessing as I get to know the engagement point better the faint smell will start to go away.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I smelled clutch as soon as I drove the car off the lot! That was in March 2012. My brother was in the car with me and he said I wasn't even riding the clutch as to burn it, it was just burning due to be brand new. I smelled this for probably about a week before it went away. I hae 2000+ miles on it now and I have no problems.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Does your clutch engage really high? I have heard of a lot of people with clutches that engage really high. I wonder if that has to do with it.

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
I smelled clutch as soon as I drove the car off the lot! That was in March 2012. My brother was in the car with me and he said I wasn't even riding the clutch as to burn it, it was just burning due to be brand new. I smelled this for probably about a week before it went away. I hae 2000+ miles on it now and I have no problems.
I agree, this happen to me too when I test drove my car, paid for it and drove it home. I wasn't even riding the clutch and it did smell but after a couple of weeks, it didn't smell anymore.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,769 Posts
Does your clutch engage really high? I have heard of a lot of people with clutches that engage really high. I wonder if that has to do with it.
Yeah, I think it was you who said it can be adjusted with master cylinder. I haven't looked. How so? Be interested. I engage high and want to adjust it down.

·
Registered
302 Posts
All the si clutches engage high its so you can shift faster and easier. Just tap and shift. It just goes so smooth plus you get a lot of feedback from the pedal where the clutch bites. Ive driven 3 2012 si and they are all the same. Its one of the best clutches as far as feel and drivability and Im comparing to the wrx,gti,genesis. The clutch smell is probably just it wearing in,I havnt had it but as long as its not strong smelling or smoking youll be fine. P.s. if its smoking you should be driving an auto...lol

·
Registered
91 Posts
The clutch engaging high scares me, I have had to many standards when it goes high it goes out! But we will see!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had an interesting smell from mine for a few weeks too. Mine only had 3 miles on it when i got it. I dont think it was the clutch. I think it was the exhaust, engine, brakes, etc burning off residue from the factory...i have had my share of new cars and they always have a little smell to them in the beginning.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
407 Posts
Engaging high is not correct and has wear implications if it is riding the release bearing due to lack of free play.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
696 Posts
Are you guys sure you aren't smelling that cosmoline smell? Every Honda I've bought (and this is my first manual trans Honda) has had that smell brand new and it goes away as soon as that stuff burns off of wherever it is. I even took my 02 CR-V back to the dealer b/c I thought it was burning oil or something from somewhere.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts