9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes as I'm releasing the clutch to engage into 1st gear I hear a "chatter" just right as I'm about to release the clutch all the way.. the actual sound of chatter.. like tapping of a metal.. not a grind or a grrr.. just good ole chatter lol... who else?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Agreeing with DCFIVER. A not uncommon issue with the 9th gen SIs. Word on the street is that while annoying, it's not a symptom of a bad clutch overall. Don't try to use warranty, if you have one. I went down the route already, and it didn't pan out. My '15 Si developed clutch chatter in 1st gear upon clutch release as well. And at around 20,000 miles too. Assuming I still have the car for another 30k miles I'll just replace the clutch someday and hope it stops.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am there with you too PNW9thGenSi. My '15 Si at 70K+ mi is having the same issue. I am looking into replacing my clutch now..not looking forward to that added expense but gotta do what I gotta do to keep the car running smooth.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My '12 Si did it starting around 25K miles. I'm now at 89K miles and it still does it, the exact same way with no drive-ability issues. Leave it alone until the clutch slips and needs replacement.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I also started to get the chatter around 50k miles. Does anyone know what the actual issue is? Loose springs? Will it go away if I change just the clutch to a brand new OE clutch?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I also started to get the chatter around 50k miles. Does anyone know what the actual issue is? Loose springs? Will it go away if I change just the clutch to a brand new OE clutch?
I upgraded my clutch. I had the noise for a few years. When I pulled the clutch, I inspected it. Couldn't find anything wrong, springs tight, pressure plate spring fingers good, throw out bearing ok. This is why it's best to leave it alone, and change the clutch when it's slipping. If your embarrassed, just get some stickers for performance clutches and most people will be none the wiser.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,208 Posts
Any car with a manual transmission can develop clutch chatter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts