9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the clutch suppose to be this soft?

I've had my 2012 civic ex coupe for about 3 days now and I've noticed that the clutch is really soft. If I am on a small or large hill, I cannot seem to get the clutch to the point where I will not roll back, so I was just wondering if the clutch will tighten up in time or is it normal for it to be this soft on the civic?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Whoa! You don't want to "hold" you car on a hill, large or small, with your clutch. Hold you car with your brake then when safe to go move your right foot to the accelerator, give it some gas and let your clutch out. With a bit of practice you'll be able to do this without the car rolling backwards. You might want to pull the emergency or parking brake on while letting out your clutch to ensure you don't roll backwards. Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't mean that I hold the clutch in the whole time that I am on a hill. I hold the break on a hill and when I need to start going I press in the clutch, but I've noticed that I cannot find that point where I can break the car to a stand still with just the clutch for that 1 second so that I do not roll back. I have a buddy with a Mazda RX8 and I can get the car to stay on a hill with just the clutch for that 1 sec or longer if needed before I release it slowly to start going without rolling back.

·
Car Care Ambassador
1,357 Posts
Yeep its that soft .. I came from a 2010 Cobalt 5 sp and it was not soft at all .. very "mechanical" feeling .. took a little to get used to the Civic ( day or 3 ) but it will come and you will appreciate it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeep its that soft .. I came from a 2010 Cobalt 5 sp and it was not soft at all .. very "mechanical" feeling .. took a little to get used to the Civic ( day or 3 ) but it will come and you will appreciate it.
Will it get stiffer after some use or is it just designed that way?

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
Yes it is designed that way and you will get used to it. Congrats on the getting your car, besides the odd clutch how do you like it so far?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is my first civic, so I can't really compare it to the other versions, but I am really liking everything about it so far.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
Welcome to the site and enjoy the car.

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts
welcome to site.. and yes... the clutch is soft...lol

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels it's too soft. I got chastised a couple months ago for having the audacity to say this after my test drive...

Still haven't ruled out buying the Si yet though, no hurry to replace my current vehicle and the options are severely limited in what I am looking for.

I just prefer that they kept the old inferior stuff they used to make 10 years ago, that's all. I don't need electronic everything.

·
Registered
512 Posts
First time I drove it I was not thrilled about it now I can't say how much I like it, I felt the same way back in 02 when I bought my RSX, thinking that I'd never like it after learning stick on a 86 broncoII(yeah I know) it was my pops when I was in high school

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
256 Posts
I went from a 2002 crv with a very heavy clutch to a 2010 Si which is much softer. It felt strange at first but now that I'm used to it, the crv feels almost broken its so heavy, I find it so strange now, I have no pedal feel.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
182 Posts
A stiffer clutch would just feel "sportier" and not so grandma friendly IMO. It's like they're catering the new Civic to women. :(

We shouldn't have to modify anything from factory. I have always loved my previous Civic's just fine with no mods at all. If you start spending money here and there on all these various changes, we might as well buy a different(more expensive) car altogether. Again, just my opinion.

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts
A stiffer clutch would just feel "sportier" and not so grandma friendly IMO. It's like they're catering the new Civic to women. :(

We shouldn't have to modify anything from factory. I have always loved my previous Civic's just fine with no mods at all. If you start spending money here and there on all these various changes, we might as well buy a different(more expensive) car altogether. Again, just my opinion.

true....

·
Registered
717 Posts
IMO. I like the civic. An I modified cus I didn't want any other faster or more expensive car. I like a fix up civic. Always liked civics and always fixed them up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've noticed the soft clutch too. I'm used to it now, but when I try to drive my 1998 Civic after this car, I notice the massive difference.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
When I tested the the M/T civ coupe, it seemed to soft for my taste. I wanted the mechanical feel which was why I ended up with the A/T.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am pretty much use to it now, but I do wish that it had just a little bit of push back.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts