9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since the car was purchased with 100,000 kilometres, there was a slight clutch shudder when engaging under higher load...ie on a hill or when the rev's were brought up higher. It was diagnosed as some hot spots on the flywheel surface which turned out to be the cast. Since a flywheel replacement/resurface is so labour intensive, I opted to get the clutch replaced while the service was done as well. The clutch was replaced with an Exedy OEM replacement kit and the flywheel resurfaced by a specialty shop in my area. After receiving the car back the clutch pedal is very light, however when engaging from a dead stop there is some slight shudder in first gear. I only have about 100 kilometres on the new clutch with mixed highway/city driving. I understand that the clutch needs about 1000 kilometres of mainly city driving to bed the new surfaces together. My question is whether a little but of shudder is common after this sort of service. Could it be the flywheel was resurfaced but still not perfectly smooth like new and that it will take a bit of time to become smooth again? I have a good warranty with the install so I'm not worried whether this will be resolved or not, just curious whether I should return to the shop now and see what needs to be done.

Other information: Shifting is smooth, no issues or odd noises, no gear lockouts or anything of that sorts. Generally the same or smoother than prior to clutch replacement.

The original clutch disk actually had probably 80% of its life left, but since they were up there I opted to get the replacement kit.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
My thoughts:
After market clutch.
Machining of the flywheel.
Honda flywheels do not have any reserve material builtin.
Honda does not provide a service limit for flywheel thickness, only run out and that is .0020" maximum.Think of it like toilet paper, use once then throw away.

The amount of force required to move the clutch pedal through its range is dependent on:
pressure plate spring pressure
relative geometry of the throw out bearing lever
master and slave cylinder displacement.

Not my words but sums it up well.
Generally, a clutch can't be made softer without significant reengineering.
There are three factors to consider: the pressure plate acting upon the clutch, the displacement of the master cylinder, and the fulcrum point of the clutch lever.
Each of these things is interrelated - decreasing MC displacement requires increased clutch pedal travel, modifying the pedal fulcrum changes the master cylinder piston travel, etc.
The OEM pressure plate is generally the softest available, as aftermarket companies usually aim for higher torque holding ability, which means a stiffer pedal.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has been getting better as the days pass with more city driving. Now down to a bit of shudder in first gear but mostly just a vibration. Hopefully it continues to improve with the more kilometres I put on the vehicle. Currently at about 150 km city, 300 combined kilometres. Spoke to the shop today. They said run for at least 1000km and then report back if the issue still persists.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The shudder seemed to improve greatly. To the point that it was non existent and engagement was smooth as silk. This was after about 500 kilometres of city driving and a little bit of short trips on the highway. I recently took a long highway trip and after exiting the highway, there was some shudder present again. I contacted the shop that did the clutch and they said that the clutch likely heated up to a point that it hasn't before, exposing some of the shudder that may still be there during break in. They said if it still continues to bring it in and they will diagnose. Does that idea sound reasonable as to why some shudder was present after exiting the highway?

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
OP, I've always had 1st gear shudder with my 12 Si. I'm the sole owner of my car, and it has been well taken car of and carefully driven. IMO, some shudder in 1st gear is just normal for our cars. It seems to be most apparent when the engine and transmission are warming up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Since the car was purchased with 100,000 kilometres, there was a slight clutch shudder when engaging under higher load...ie on a hill or when the rev's were brought up higher. It was diagnosed as some hot spots on the flywheel surface which turned out to be the cast. Since a flywheel replacement/resurface is so labour intensive, I opted to get the clutch replaced while the service was done as well. The clutch was replaced with an Exedy OEM replacement kit and the flywheel resurfaced by a specialty shop in my area. After receiving the car back the clutch pedal is very light, however when engaging from a dead stop there is some slight shudder in first gear. I only have about 100 kilometres on the new clutch with mixed highway/city driving. I understand that the clutch needs about 1000 kilometres of mainly city driving to bed the new surfaces together. My question is whether a little but of shudder is common after this sort of service. Could it be the flywheel was resurfaced but still not perfectly smooth like new and that it will take a bit of time to become smooth again? I have a good warranty with the install so I'm not worried whether this will be resolved or not, just curious whether I should return to the shop now and see what needs to be done.

Other information: Shifting is smooth, no issues or odd noises, no gear lockouts or anything of that sorts. Generally the same or smoother than prior to clutch replacement.

The original clutch disk actually had probably 80% of its life left, but since they were up there I opted to get the replacement kit.

Thanks
This can be the gear box mount they go soft it won't be broken but soft but Honda can't even get the mounts the company went bust who made them I have been trying for 8 months to no avail had to get another second hand mount looked better but the problem still exists as the mount is not new gonna windscreen bond up the gaps to harden it up

1 - 9 of 9 Posts