9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2012 Honda Civic (5 speed manual) brand new three years ago. It now has 79,000 miles on it. I started feeling vibrations on it around 68,000 miles when I left it with my family 4 months ago while I was on deployment. I wasn't too concerned about it at the time; however since I have returned and the car has the additional miles it has gotten much worse. I don't really notice it below 70 mph but in both 4th and 5th gears above 70 it feels like the clutch is slipping; kind of a vibrating/knocking feeling in the gas pedal. It still happens if I'm braking, foot on clutch, gas anything. The only time it doesn't happen is if I'm above 70 and it's just coasting downhill or maintaining speed on a level surface. I am curious if I am diagnosing this correctly or if anyone with more experience has any other input as to what it might be. If it is a slipping clutch, what is the likelihood of having to replace the flywheel as well? And does anyone have any experience or input on doing this kind of job yourself? Thank y'all so much for your help

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Your clutch would be way more likely to slip in lower gears, like a shift from first to second, or even just trying to speed up quickly in first. Theres more torque in lower gears. Only do this once or twice, as you can overheat your clutch... put your parking brake on, try to take off in first gear without slippingmyour clutch much more than normal, as though youre trying to merge into traffic. If your clutch goes all the way out and you dont stall, you need atleast a clutch. If you stall, your issue ia likely elsewhere. A semi agressive shift from first to second doesnt make it slip?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Could be a lot of things, possibly wheel balance or something else internally. For clutch slipping, just drive maybe around 30-40 miles then put it in a high gear and full throttle it and see if it revs linearly or even lower gear and try to gas it to see if it excessively spins while not mistaking it for tire spin. You'll know when your clutch is slipping, it's like driving on grease/oil and your throttle doesn't respond correctly.

If it happens with braking and foot on clutch, makes me believe it's something else but other than your vibrations just watch your rpms and see if they react appropriately. I think you should probably at least bring it in to any decent shop and see what they can diagnose. As far as repair goes, they'll either make the recommendation to resurface the flywheel or replace most likely depending on the wear.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If the clutch doesnt slip or making any audible noises, it probably isnt bad. I would check motor mounts and cv shafts.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
When replacing a clutch you can usually resurface the face of the flywheel and not have to replace it.

What you describe as symptoms does not indicate a bad clutch.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I purchased a 2012 Honda Civic (5 speed manual) brand new three years ago. It now has 79,000 miles on it. I started feeling vibrations on it around 68,000 miles when I left it with my family 4 months ago while I was on deployment. I wasn't too concerned about it at the time; however since I have returned and the car has the additional miles it has gotten much worse. I don't really notice it below 70 mph but in both 4th and 5th gears above 70 it feels like the clutch is slipping; kind of a vibrating/knocking feeling in the gas pedal. It still happens if I'm braking, foot on clutch, gas anything. The only time it doesn't happen is if I'm above 70 and it's just coasting downhill or maintaining speed on a level surface. I am curious if I am diagnosing this correctly or if anyone with more experience has any other input as to what it might be. If it is a slipping clutch, what is the likelihood of having to replace the flywheel as well? And does anyone have any experience or input on doing this kind of job yourself? Thank y'all so much for your help
Broken motor mount - replace it (or them) and vibration will go away.

·
Registered
307 Posts
If your clutch is really slipping in 5th or 6th, it will be obvious that it is happening. When moving at a constant speed, put the throttle on the floor. If the rpms climb but you gain little speed, it's the clutch slipping. And from my experience, it is usually easier to notice in the taller gears. A slipping clutch doesn't necessarily come with a vibration or knock though so my guess is that it's something else.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,615 Posts
It still happens if I'm braking, foot on clutch, gas anything.
If it happens with your foot on the clutch, then the clutch is not slipping. For the purposes of clutch slippage while delivering power to the wheels, it can't exhibit slip on its friction plates if it's not engaged.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,615 Posts
Slippage is the clutch plates, not the gears.

And if you're going 70 mph in reverse, I'd like to meet your tailor. hahahahahahahaaaaaa

1 - 11 of 11 Posts