9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Metal bang noise

Anyone hear that when the car is not moving? I heard it from the front of the car with either the engine running or not. What are some likely causes? It sounds like some popping of the metal.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
896 Posts
The only thing I hear coming from my engine is when I first start driving when theres 2 clicks. Opening of valves or something. Normal though. Have no clue what yours could be other then its possible you are hearing valves opening and closing. Never heard of metal popping when the cars off though. Does it do it when the engines hot or even when its cold? How many times does it do it? How loud is it?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It happens once a while. Happens when the engine is warm. If I shut off the car and rest my foot on the acceleration pedal my foot would feel it when it pops.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Could it be metal expanding or contracting from heat to cool or cool to heat? Although a "bang" is quite different than this noise. I have heard what I call rotor creep and that is when you don't really have enough pressure on the pads and the rotor moves somewhat. Additionally I have heard what I believe is the suspension moving when I get in or out

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 250 mi. on a Si sedan. I've heard this a bunch of times too. I'm thinking this is from metal expanding or contracting. Could be the exhaust or a shield around it. I've had it sitting at lights, while driving or after I got out and locked the doors. I've heard it the most sitting at lights though. It isn't rotor creep for sure. Could be the suspension somewhere perhaps. Who knows but it is definitely a single loud-ish 'thunk' sound. Not a huge issue but could become annoying if it gets worse. Keep us posted.

·
Read Only
108 Posts
I too get that bang...I've gotten it like two or three times since I've had it and I've put about 200 miles on my LX already

·
Boston...we will not forget!!!!
1,246 Posts
Anyone else experience this? I have an si sedan. And when i stop the car. After about 3 minutes the front spring will make a loud *BONGGG* as if it was caught on something and just sprung loose.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have noticed the "bong' sound now too (1150 miles) after I park. But I don't feel anything in the steering wheel. I have to agree with John, more likely the heat shields.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Pardon my ignorance. I have been hearing this lately, after about 10 minutes after starting my Si. Sounds like it's not a problem - glad to hear that. Could you explain to me where the heat shield is and specifically what component(s) it is shielding? Just curious.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Spring pop sound after driving

I have about 750 miles on my Si. When I park the car after driving, I hear a very loud spring "pop" sound after shutting the car off. It takes several seconds to a minute or more for the sound to occur. Is this normal? I've never noticed anything like this in any other car I've owned and have no idea what it is. It definitely sounds like a large spring is being struck with a rubber mallet, if that makes any sense?

·
Registered
903 Posts
I dont think that is normal at all...take it to the dealer asap! If that thing goes out of place while driving ure gonna have a lot of damage!

Sent from my Iphone which is too slow!! I want my Galaxy s2 Skytocket BACK!!!..lol...At&t FTMFW!!

·
Registered
566 Posts
It is a little concerning. I'm not sure but maybe it's something on the exhaust that is cooling after shutting the engine off? I've never heard it while driving, only after parking and turning the car off.

EDIT: OK, so I've been thinking about this some more. Could it also be the handbrake spring? Or possible the clutch helper spring? Both of those would probably be of a substantial enough size to make the noise I'm hearing.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had the same noise coming from somewhere under the hood ive got 5k on it now and it seemed to have stoped doing that after a couple weeks maybe just something to do with the break in period havnt had any problems with my si so just to make u feel a but better, ur not the only one lol

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
566 Posts
Good to know I'm not the only one. I just spent half my lunch break driving around and when I parked, I didn't hear the noise this time. Hopefully it goes away. Other than that, the car is perfect and I'm loving it, especially now that I can start to have a little fun with VTEC :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts