9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am trying to get some input on which coilovers and overall suspension system upgrades should I look at for my daily driven 2015 Civic SI Coupe with PRL Stage 2 Turbo Kit. If anyone has good ideas and/or experience with this kind of build and have tried a good setup, any info would be appreciated. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Personally, I've never viewed whether you are boosted or not as being a big determining factor in what kind of coilover setup you need. Engine mount/control arm bushing choice, tire choice, extra bracing choice I can see, but not that. The big ones it always comes down to are how you are using the car and your budget.

Daily? If so, what are the road conditions you see? Ride height?

Mixed use? If so, how often do you race? How much compliance can you get away with to still be competitive? Ride height?

Track? If so, how competitive do you need to be? You can spend serious money here.

Answering these questions will help you look for what you need, as well as helping people know what suggestions to offer you. This platform isn't as loved as the 8th and 10th gens, so the options are more limited, but there is still a lot to choose from.

The recommendations that span all the platforms though are a stiffer rear motor mount (Hopefully you already have), rear sway bar (Don't worry about the front, a proper front strut bar is more effective), and rear camber arms.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Personally, I've never viewed whether you are boosted or not as being a big determining factor in what kind of coilover setup you need. Engine mount/control arm bushing choice, tire choice, extra bracing choice I can see, but not that. The big ones it always comes down to are how you are using the car and your budget.

Mixed use? If so, how often do you race? How much compliance can you get away with to still be competitive? Ride height?

Track? If so, how competitive do you need to be? You can spend serious money here.

Answering these questions will help you look for what you need, as well as helping people know what suggestions to offer you. This platform isn't as loved as the 8th and 10th gens, so the options are more limited, but there is still a lot to choose from.

The recommendations that span all the platforms though are a stiffer rear motor mount (Hopefully you already have), rear sway bar (Don't worry about the front, a proper front strut bar is more effective), and rear camber arms.
This is spot on.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks for the reply and insight on this. This is the first time I've had the opportunity to work on and put together a project like this. It is still my daily driver, and the roads I see are mostly highway and some back roads going home that are in excellent condition since most of them were just worked on this past year, so not a lot of bumps or anything. I do need to stiffen it up a little, since I can feel it a little unstable when I really step on the gas. As far as ride height goes, I'm not looking to go really low, I've never been a fan of slammed cars, but I do want it to go a little lower than factory of course. Any more suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Thanks for the reply and insight on this. This is the first time I've had the opportunity to work on and put together a project like this. It is still my daily driver, and the roads I see are mostly highway and some back roads going home that are in excellent condition since most of them were just worked on this past year, so not a lot of bumps or anything. I do need to stiffen it up a little, since I can feel it a little unstable when I really step on the gas. As far as ride height goes, I'm not looking to go really low, I've never been a fan of slammed cars, but I do want it to go a little lower than factory of course. Any more suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks again!
Truhart shocks and struts with a decent set of lowering springs and you'll be fine. For added control do the rear sway bar like others have mentioned.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Based on what you've said, I'd recommend a few things (Provided you don't have them):

- Hasport rear motor mount: 70a durometer option would be my recommendation for almost anyone who doesn't want serious feedback into the cabin, but does want to feel a noticeable difference. You may get some initially, but once it breaks in you shouldn't have any rattles. Feel free to research more.

- Sirimoto front strut bar: There are others that will do the job, but I like this one the best due to it being unobtrusive (It hides behind the cowl), it's cheap (Less than $100 bucks when ProCivic has a sale), and it works. Especially on a car with aftermarket suspension. It really ties the front end together and actually helps keep the car composed on uneven bumps.

- Moog front and rear endlinks: Don't bother with fancy adjustable ones on a street car. They just come undone and cause you problems. While Moog has made some crappy parts, the endlinks are stronger than OEM and have held up to a couple of years abuse with no problems. The grease covers can be a pain, but that's about it. They also allow you get rid of the incredibly brilliant OEM allen-head bolts that rust and are impossible to remove after a year or two...

- Rear sway bar: I won't rate the different options here, but I'll give you the rundown of what I have, which is the Progress 22mm option (24mm also available). What I like is that the bushings and the bar's coating have held up to years of use and that it was reasonably priced. I think it's stiffness is ideal for street setups.

- Rear camber arms: Again, there are plenty of options and they mostly do the same thing. I have the SPC and they've been fine, but like with most of them make sure you properly grease the bolts and adjustment nuts. You'll have a hell of a time freeing one up down the road if you don't. I'd just grab whatever is priced the best and looks good to you.

- Coilovers: Lots of opinions on what is best... For street setups I think it's hard to beat Tein's offerings for performance for your dollar. Their 3 coilover options (They also now carry strut upgrades) are straightforward in their purpose and don't offer a lot of features that, on a street car, are pure marketing filler to justify a higher price-tag. I would look up the Street Flex Z (Used to be called the Street Advance line) and take a look at their new dampers (Endurapro line). Another good street option is Truhart shocks/struts with aftermarket springs as bfaided mentioned. I'd recommend Swifts or Eibach's for their ride quality and their height. Also, be aware that anything with pillowball mounts is going to be harsh on the street. If you've used them before, then you know. Just in case you haven't though, you've been warned.

Do some research and come back with any questions you have. Plenty of guys/gals on here who run these setups that can chime in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Based on what you've said, I'd recommend a few things (Provided you don't have them):

- Hasport rear motor mount: 70a durometer option would be my recommendation for almost anyone who doesn't want serious feedback into the cabin, but does want to feel a noticeable difference. You may get some initially, but once it breaks in you shouldn't have any rattles. Feel free to research more.

- Sirimoto front strut bar: There are others that will do the job, but I like this one the best due to it being unobtrusive (It hides behind the cowl), it's cheap (Less than $100 bucks when ProCivic has a sale), and it works. Especially on a car with aftermarket suspension. It really ties the front end together and actually helps keep the car composed on uneven bumps.

- Moog front and rear endlinks: Don't bother with fancy adjustable ones on a street car. They just come undone and cause you problems. While Moog has made some crappy parts, the endlinks are stronger than OEM and have held up to a couple of years abuse with no problems. The grease covers can be a pain, but that's about it. They also allow you get rid of the incredibly brilliant OEM allen-head bolts that rust and are impossible to remove after a year or two...

- Rear sway bar: I won't rate the different options here, but I'll give you the rundown of what I have, which is the Progress 22mm option (24mm also available). What I like is that the bushings and the bar's coating have held up to years of use and that it was reasonably priced. I think it's stiffness is ideal for street setups.

- Rear camber arms: Again, there are plenty of options and they mostly do the same thing. I have the SPC and they've been fine, but like with most of them make sure you properly grease the bolts and adjustment nuts. You'll have a hell of a time freeing one up down the road if you don't. I'd just grab whatever is priced the best and looks good to you.

- Coilovers: Lots of opinions on what is best... For street setups I think it's hard to beat Tein's offerings for performance for your dollar. Their 3 coilover options (They also now carry strut upgrades) are straightforward in their purpose and don't offer a lot of features that, on a street car, are pure marketing filler to justify a higher price-tag. I would look up the Street Flex Z (Used to be called the Street Advance line) and take a look at their new dampers (Endurapro line). Another good street option is Truhart shocks/struts with aftermarket springs as bfaided mentioned. I'd recommend Swifts or Eibach's for their ride quality and their height. Also, be aware that anything with pillowball mounts is going to be harsh on the street. If you've used them before, then you know. Just in case you haven't though, you've been warned.

Do some research and come back with any questions you have. Plenty of guys/gals on here who run these setups that can chime in.
Thank you for such a detailed and informative post. This was exactly what I was looking for. Now I know where to direct my research efforts. Thanks!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Hello everyone, I am trying to get some input on which coilovers and overall suspension system upgrades should I look at for my daily driven 2015 Civic SI Coupe with PRL Stage 2 Turbo Kit. If anyone has good ideas and/or experience with this kind of build and have tried a good setup, any info would be appreciated. Thanks to all.
Hit up Redshift motorsports. He's been in the Honda scene for a LONG time. Very knowledgeable. @Reeses_Cars, MercRacing, and I did a live stream video with the owner on youtube.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Hit up Redshift motorsports. He's been in the Honda scene for a LONG time. Very knowledgeable. @Reeses_Cars, MercRacing, and I did a live stream video with the owner on youtube.
I would second this.

You can look him up here too, as he has commented a decent amount on suspension setups (I believe his name was RedShiftChris or something like that). I also liked that he will not hesitate to recommend other setups that he doesn't even profit from. He actually has/had a page (It might be gone, as I know he has had website construction issues over the years) where he reviewed various setups, including Truharts, Tein's, etc.

I know he thought the Truharts and the Tein Street Advance (Old name for them) were probably the best value for money. You just had to determine your needs when picking one.

His offerings are certainly geared towards racing, but he would still be a great resource.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.