9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Temps are in the teens at night here in Montana.

When I start my Si in the morning I hear a half-second-long unusual "b-b-brap!" noise come from the front of the car.

The brief note is different from the usual sounds the engine makes. It does not make the sound during warm starts.

It almost sounds like an especially snarly exhaust note ... ? The Si exhaust is nice and snarly, normally.

Today I heard the noise again, and I shut the engine off 10 seconds later. I re-started the engine ... no "b-b-brap!" that time.

Any clue as to why it's making this noise?

It runs fine.

Guessing it's nothing ...

·
that cranky admin
6,077 Posts
Temps are in the teens at night here in Montana.

When I start my Si in the morning I hear a half-second-long unusual "b-b-brap!" noise come from the front of the car.

The brief note is different from the usual sounds the engine makes. It does not make the sound during warm starts.

It almost sounds like an especially snarly exhaust note ... ? The Si exhaust is nice and snarly, normally.

Today I heard the noise again, and I shut the engine off 10 seconds later. I re-started the engine ... no "b-b-brap!" that time.

Any clue as to why it's making this noise?

It runs fine.

Guessing it's nothing ...
small animals in your intake? hahah I have no idea.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The temperatures get well below 0 degrees in Minnesota during the winters, and I had major starting issues with my 2012 EX-L, sometimes requiring the car to be 'turned' for 5-7 second cranks before it'd catch. It was very upsetting.

My 2012 has started fairly easily so far, and I do notice the engine sounds different (I expect this to a degree- it is frigid cold out), and I do notice some clunks and clangs throughout the exterior mechanics of the car (under the hood, underneath). I'd have to hear exactly what you're hearing to know if mine does it, though.

I will say this- when its cold, and I go to move for the first time, it feels like I'm "breaking" the back wheels free from being seized up and it does make a noise. Strange - but I'm not concerned about it. Yet- I'm sure that'll come in time: I tend to notice real issues in cars long before they are perceptibly bad enough for the dealership to see it. I find a twisted pleasure in being able to prove to them I was right all along, though my life would be much easier if they'd just take my word for it because I'm seldom wrong when it comes to knowing what's not right in my car. LOL.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,763 Posts
Hmmm. My exhaust note is particularly deep and loud on the cold mornings.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: GHOSTXIII

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
My 04 has done that for ever,it happens when I start it cold after sitting over night and just begin to move forward,but only does it once and wont do it again until the next day.Ive been to 5 dealerships over the last 8 years and they cant find anything.I left it over night twice so the head tech can "hear it" and he did but it only does it once on a cold(overnight sitting start)He too had no idea and he is a freind of mine so he wasnt bullshitting me.Its documented so if it ever starts a problem it will be covered but to this day they/ I have no idea,car runs great?

·
Registered
224 Posts
i get this a lot now as well, its around 0 degrees here in ontario, sometimes minus 1, but i notice that when i start my car in the morning i hear this noise, its almost a high pitch i dont know how to explain it, but it happens for half a second or so then the regular sound of my car kicks in, i feel like its a belt or something but not sure, im not someone that has a lot of engine knowledge, im driving a 2012 civic si coupe, has approx 80,000kms on it, gonna take it in and have it looked at, but in the last week it has happened every morning, might make a video and post it on here for some suggestions

·
Registered
2,139 Posts

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,483 Posts
Maybe your car has gas.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was thinkin' mebbe it's the valves tapping loudly due to cold, thick oil not being pumped to their location quickly enough during that first half-second after start?

I haven't heard the noise in a few days. I also wonder if it is some kind of tach noise (my tach makes a quiet rumbly noise when super cold until it warms up.)

·
400 Club here I come!
1,660 Posts
does it sound like when you force an electric motor to turn by hand? I dont know, my old Evo Had full syn OIL in it like 5w 20 and it would sound rough when I would start it on cold MT mornings..

I'm from Southeast Montana(Crow Reservation), now living in Nebraska for a bit, where you from CAPA?

·
400 Club here I come!
1,660 Posts
Bozo huh nice place, used to drive through there all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
348 Posts
Got a new battery installed at the dealer...it's a new car!!??? A cv axle too last month. I do have a very early Si though...

·
Registered
255 Posts
The temperatures get well below 0 degrees in Minnesota during the winters, and I had major starting issues with my 2012 EX-L, sometimes requiring the car to be 'turned' for 5-7 second cranks before it'd catch. It was very upsetting.

My 2012 has started fairly easily so far, and I do notice the engine sounds different (I expect this to a degree- it is frigid cold out), and I do notice some clunks and clangs throughout the exterior mechanics of the car (under the hood, underneath). I'd have to hear exactly what you're hearing to know if mine does it, though.

I will say this- when its cold, and I go to move for the first time, it feels like I'm "breaking" the back wheels free from being seized up and it does make a noise. Strange - but I'm not concerned about it. Yet- I'm sure that'll come in time: I tend to notice real issues in cars long before they are perceptibly bad enough for the dealership to see it. I find a twisted pleasure in being able to prove to them I was right all along, though my life would be much easier if they'd just take my word for it because I'm seldom wrong when it comes to knowing what's not right in my car. LOL.
The breaking sound is, snow, water,etc. freezing the calipers to the rotors. i get this when the snow is deep and my brakes are hot, and i park the car outside for awhile. the snow in the fender well, inside of rim melts drips on the brakes and freezes

1 - 15 of 15 Posts