9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently a couple weeks ago I started to hear a grinding noise coming from the motor on cold starts and people were telling me it was the Vtc actuator l. So I had that replaced and just yesterday after 2 weeks of the new actuator it starting making the noise again. Would it possibly be the camshaft or a starter? it only does it if it’s cold outside

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I just started having this problem a couple days ago in my 2015 civic si. About 2 weeks ago I started noticing a rattle on cold start for a quick second and knowing that the Vtc actuator is common to go wrong with the k24 motor I replaced the actuator and about 2 weeks later I started getting the same or almost similar noise again. Would it be they Vtc again or would it be a belt tensioner or would it be something else?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Does it do it when the engine is warmed up even when cold outside or just strictly Cold start? Was the vtc replaced with an oem or cheaper market

·
Registered
558 Posts
take a video

·
Photoshop Masta
2,784 Posts
Also, why did you make another thread for the same issue? Someone replied to your first thread but instead of replying to them you chose to make another thread?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Does it do it when the engine is warmed up even when cold outside or just strictly Cold start? Was the vtc replaced with an oem or cheaper market
only when’s it’s about 30 degrees outside from a cold start and no it doesn’t do it again once I start it and not even for the rest of the day. The Vtc was replaced with an oem one done at Honda

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, why did you make another thread for the same issue? Someone replied to your first thread but instead of replying to them you chose to make another thread?

Sorry still learning on how to use this.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just don’t understand how a new one would go after 2 weeks
On the Accord forum, even the revised VTC actuator could start rattling again within 1-2 years. The general consensus is that just ignore the rattle until the motor goes boom.

Reactions: cameronross

·
Registered
438 Posts
Search VTC actuator rattle on this site, on Google, and Youtube. and you'll find millions of hits. The only real solution to this problem is to move to somewhere warm. My car never does this during the summer, but will very frequently in the winter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So recently a couple weeks ago I started to hear a grinding noise coming from the motor on cold starts and people were telling me it was the Vtc actuator l. So I had that replaced and just yesterday after 2 weeks of the new actuator it starting making the noise again. Would it possibly be the camshaft or a starter? it only does it if it’s cold outside
Used to happen to my car a lot. Took into a Honda dealer and they said it was my starter. About a month later my clutch and starter gave out and had to be replaced.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts