9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. New to this forum so forgive me if this topic has already been discussed.

I will be inheriting a 9th gen civic fully paid off.

It’s at around 120k miles.

I see a lot of threads about improving the suspension for handling, but could fine very little to make it more comfortable while preserving the stock handling characteristics.

My question is, what is the best way to achieve more dampening without sacrificing handling?

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,105 Posts
Welcome to 9th gen.

This topic has been discussed in the Suspension section, but the exact answers you're looking for can be a bit hard to find.

Are you inheriting an LX/EX or an Si?

How much do you want to spend? Will you be racing or otherwise driving very aggressively (this is where the LX/EX vs Si can make a difference)? Those factors might dictate whether lowering springs or coilovers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to 9th gen.

This topic has been discussed in the Suspension section, but the exact answers you're looking for can be a bit hard to find.

Are you inheriting an LX/EX or an Si?

How much do you want to spend? Will you be racing or otherwise driving very aggressively (this is where the LX/EX vs Si can make a difference)? Those factors might dictate whether lowering springs or coilovers.
Thanks for the response.

It’s an EX. I won’t be racing. It’s a daily driver and the suspension seems a bit worn out. No work had been done to it for 120k miles, with lots of driving on bad roads. I figure it is time for a replacement.

I want to put comfort first. I was just wondering if there is a better alternative to stock in that regard.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,105 Posts
I just now realized that you are not talking about lowering, which 99.9% of the suspension questions here are concerned with. You just want OEM-spec aftermarket replacements?

Two companies known for making good shocks for these cars are Koni and Truhart. People here have had good luck with both of these.

Here is a thread that speaks about both of them. Konis are mentioned here, too, because they were a known entity when the Truharts became known around here.

https://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/suspension-brakes/70994-truhart-shocks.html

Here's an earlier thread dedicated to the Konis:

https://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/suspension-brakes/3168-koni-shocks.html

As for springs, I am not aware of anyone in the aftermarket that makes springs the same height as OEM.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I just now realized that you are not talking about lowering, which 99.9% of the suspension questions here are concerned with. You just want OEM-spec aftermarket replacements?

Two companies known for making good shocks for these cars are Koni and Truhart. People here have had good luck with both of these.

Here is a thread that speaks about both of them. Konis are mentioned here, too, because they were a known entity when the Truharts became known around here.

https://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/suspension-brakes/70994-truhart-shocks.html
As info, Truhart advises that their sport shocks/struts require a spring drop of at least 1". Will not work with stock springs. Just something I came across as I began to plan out my drop. OP, might just want to replace with oem again. A cpl places like Bernardi Honda will sell cheaper than reg dealers. I went through them for my wife's replacement RDX suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 5 of 5 Posts