9th Gen Civic Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
I Need A Vacation
14,270 Posts
Lucky you were able to get out of it if the used car market wasn't so hot right now it could be a different story.

Always do a thorough inspection when buying a used or new car don't get caught up in the excitement.

·
Registered
2012 Civic EX Sedan
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Lucky you were able to get out of it if the used car market wasn't so hot right now it could be a different story.

Always do a thorough inspection when buying a used or new car don't get caught up in the excitement.
You are exactly right, Kev. I dropped the ball. The Si trim is very rare in my part of the world. I have to repress my compulsive nature. If I found a type R I would probably lose consciousness. o_O

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a 2012 Civic EX Sedan in the middle of November of 2021 and already regret that I did not look for an SI. Well on the 28th of December I had an extended test drive of a 2017 SI which naturally gave me the fever. The thing is, even though I like the car it is overpriced and I believe it has the 1.5 liter engine. I have since located an SI that, while it is 70 miles away, it has the 2.4 liter engine, but it is a 2015 model with about 65,000 miles. Has anyone had a chance to drive both configurations and was the increase in power very noticeable?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had an 2009 sedan SI . I live in Louisiana. My 09 got flooded . 2 nd owner , the miles were 153238. I'm with State Farm. I was given 10,000 for my SI. I couldn't find another 09 anywhere close to me. I came across the 2012 SI. The sets are Uncomfortable and the style isn't no were near the same . The 09 for me is so much better!!.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I had an 2009 sedan SI . I live in Louisiana. My 09 got flooded . 2 nd owner , the miles were 153238. I'm with State Farm. I was given 10,000 for my SI. I couldn't find another 09 anywhere close to me. I came across the 2012 SI. The sets are Uncomfortable and the style isn't no were near the same . The 09 for me is so much better!!.
Yea the 8th gen was better in a few ways, I miss wrapping it out to 8.4k, but love the low end "torque" of the 9th gen. I can pass people on the highway in 6th gear, in the 8th I always had to drop one.

I think you made a mistake going with the 2012, the 2013 and up had several styling and comfort improvements, not to mention the oil consumption issue was addressed.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Speaking personally here... My 2012 9th Gen Si, at 470k km is atill über reliable.. Had to rebuild the transmission at 430k but it is a very reliable car as long as you don't beat it up.. 10th Gen Turbo... ehh... not sure how it will be at those kind of milleages...

My 2 cents!

·
I Need A Vacation
14,270 Posts
Speaking personally here... My 2012 9th Gen Si, at 470k km is atill über reliable.. Had to rebuild the transmission at 430k but it is a very reliable car as long as you don't beat it up.. 10th Gen Turbo... ehh... not sure how it will be at those kind of milleages...

My 2 cents!
No way the turbo will get any where close to that mileage before it poops out.

·
Registered
2012 Civic EX Sedan
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I drove almost 300 miles Thursday 1-6-22 to drive a 2013 silver Si. It had the 2.4 liter engine, interior was clean, the body was straight. But... the clutch did not have a good feel. Not much pedal which makes me afraid there is clutch replacement in the near future. Additionally the throttle was slow to return after a shift which might be a cheap fix but not really looking for a fixer upper. I guess it is not the worst that could happen, (not adding a payment), and I was quite content to enjoy the ride back home in my EX which is much less dull with the Econ turned off. I enjoyed my little trek across Alabama except the part through Birmingham. I do not consider eight lanes of winding interstate enjoyable. At least on this trip it was not at night and in the rain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a 2012 Civic EX Sedan in the middle of November of 2021 and already regret that I did not look for an SI. Well on the 28th of December I had an extended test drive of a 2017 SI which naturally gave me the fever. The thing is, even though I like the car it is overpriced and I believe it has the 1.5 liter engine. I have since located an SI that, while it is 70 miles away, it has the 2.4 liter engine, but it is a 2015 model with about 65,000 miles. Has anyone had a chance to drive both configurations and was the increase in power very noticeable?
What increase??? 1 horse difference...theres no replacement for displacement. K24 is boss

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
What increase??? 1 horse difference...theres no replacement for displacement. K24 is boss
Yeah that's why our K24Z7 Si's SMOKE those K20C1 Type Rs. Or why an 8.2 Liter Cadillac Fleetwood totally dusts a Panamera Turbo S' weak little 4.0.... Oh wait maybe there is a replacement for displacement...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was in the same situation as the OP about a year ago. Ive been daily driving my 05 RSX Type S for the last 10 years, and it was getting uncomfortable. I went with a low mileage one owner 2015 Sedan. The older K-series motors have so much more character than the new 1.5L, also much more potential due to the larger displacement. Also, my wife drives a Focus ST. And if your looking for that tiny turbo/big torque character, its a way better car than the SI in every way(and usually cheaper). But I love my NA K series motors. I also can 100% confidently say that the older K-series motors will be more reliable/cheaper to operate. As mentioned above, the oil dilution is problem is a real problem with the turbo motors.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts