9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a new tire for my 2012 Si on the 225, 45 R17's, for late fall, winter, early spring (mostly winter)
What can you tell me about this tire? Tirerack.com
Does anyone have experience with it?
My Honda Service guy told me they are a good all-around tire.
Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had them on my TSX and liked them a lot. The only thing I wasn't crazy about is that when the weather got colder, they took a while to warm up and felt as though they almost had flat spots on them. After a few miles of driving this went away but it still gets annoying everyday.

·
Aluminium Member
2,080 Posts
Had the conti ec dws on my 08 Si, they lasted nearly 45k miles.

Good wet, dry, and snow traction.
Agree with the other post regarding flat spots in the cold till they are warm
They were very sensitive to air pressure 2 to 3 psi made a big difference. I ran mine at 35 psi, due to the extra tread depth they felt better on turn in a few psi high without any loss in overall grip.

For the money it's a good wet and snow tire and a fairly good dry tire.
Note that because of the extra tread depth you will feel the tire move then set on turn in when they are new, it's not a bad feeling but it's there. Once they wear and you loose some tread depth the feeling goes away.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies and reviews! This will be my 3 season tire.

·
Banned
1,339 Posts
I've heard nothing but good things about the Continental ExtremeContact DWS's. Once I finish restoring my EP-R5's I'll be wrapping them in DWS's.

·
that cranky admin
6,077 Posts
So a couple days with these now and I don't feel too happy. They're great in wet conditions but in dry conditions the squishy sidewalls and deep treads make high speed driving and cornering a chore. When I get to 100+ mph the car is pulling all over the road. When cornering the car feels uncertain and less precise than before.

Maybe they just need to break in more?

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,763 Posts
^ i read that the sidewalls were squishy and deep tread made pushing the car become a challenge in some reviews on tirerack.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
9thgen's Official E-thug
1,719 Posts
So a couple days with these now and I don't feel too happy. They're great in wet conditions but in dry conditions the squishy sidewalls and deep treads make high speed driving and cornering a chore. When I get to 100+ mph the car is pulling all over the road. When cornering the car feels uncertain and less precise than before.

100mph! Bad skrub!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Raspy is a bad thing?
4,535 Posts

Since performance is lacking, I will stick with the stock Michelin's when it comes time to replace them. Hate to hear you're not satisfied though. Thanks for passing the word on.

·
that cranky admin
6,077 Posts
Since performance is lacking, I will stick with the stock Michelin's when it comes time to replace them. Hate to hear you're not satisfied though. Thanks for passing the word on.
I'll report back once I get some more miles on them. They certainly feel "safer" in terms of braking and maintaining traction, but my gripes are as mentioned before. Stigmacher said they will probably get better with wear so hopefully that is how it goes for me too.

·
Registered
566 Posts

I've read the DWS causes your steering feel to take a rather noticeable hit, especially on-center feel. I had the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS on my last car and they were amazing for an all-season tire. I drove in a few 1-3" snows in Nashville without any issues. The new model is the RE970AS which has a full circumferential center groove which should make steering response even better than the RE960s. I really disklike the Michelins on my Si, which is what I replaced the Bridgestones with on my Mazda. What a difference! Like the Tire Rack video stated, if you don't have persistent snow, the Bridgestone is a great choice. I hope my Michelins wear out qucikly so I can replace them with the Bridgestones :)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Skrub & the rest,

Thanks for the info and thanks to the rest of you. I am going to need new tires soon. Not sure which route to go now. These tires will be my fall, winter, spring tires. I already have a second set of tires and rims for summer with Michelins. I hope they perform well!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts