9th Gen Civic Forum banner

How long do you warm up your car?

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
blue low temp light???

after starting my 2012 civ ex from a cold start, overnite etc. my blue low temp light is on for about the first 2-5 mins or couple miles?? asked my sales girl to chk with service dept, she came back and said this is normal... does everyone else experience this?? just nervous about a warning light?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the same light for about the same amount of time. Just means your engine is cold.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
3,686 Posts
Yeah, the blue light is to let you know the engine is still cold. It turns off when the engine reaches it's normal operating temperature.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Owner's manual, page 74:

Low Temperature Indicator

Comes on when the engine coolant temperature is low.

If the indicator stays on after the engine has reached normal operating temperature, there may be problem with the temperature sensors. Have the vehicle inspected by a dealer.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I wished they kept the old style hot to cold though. That's better than the vtec light. I rather see where it is on the indicator that it is hot. Or warmxor cold or freezing lol

·
Registered
348 Posts
Miss a temp gauge too. Now...if you see red that's bad. No warning, but they are new cars. What could go wrong!?LOL.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yeah, the blue light is to let you know the engine is still cold. It turns off when the engine reaches it's normal operating temperature.
Not quite...the blue light turns off when the engine temp reaches 52C. Normal engine operating temps are around 88-92C (as per my scanguage).

·
Registered
114 Posts
I also have a ScanGauge II, which I got mainly because I wanted to know the engine temp. I can tell you that the blue light consistently goes out at 125 degrees F, on the way up to an operating temperature around 190 degrees.

The ScanGauge will give you four different readings at a time. I have two of the readings set for system voltage and engine air intake temperature. The ScanGauge fits neatly right below the HVAC controls and sells for $159 on Amazon.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I wished they kept the old style hot to cold though. That's better than the vtec light. I rather see where it is on the indicator that it is hot. Or warmxor cold or freezing lol
It mattered big time in the 8th Gen. If you didn't have 3 bars, you didn't have the crossover at 5800

·
Registered
794 Posts
after starting my 2012 civ ex from a cold start, overnite etc. my blue low temp light is on for about the first 2-5 mins or couple miles?? asked my sales girl to chk with service dept, she came back and said this is normal... does everyone else experience this?? just nervous about a warning light?
Wut? You need to tell your "sales girl" to learn more about the product. They're not selling $200 earrings here, there selling $20,000 automobiles. Hahah

It mattered big time in the 8th Gen. If you didn't have 3 bars, you didn't have the crossover at 5800
It's okay, they have the vtec engagement light right by the shift lights now. LOL.

·
Registered
205 Posts
When the blue light goes out, you have heat available if it's wintertime. BTW while the light is on I'd be easy on the throttle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
About that Blue Light. I don't know if anyone else noticed but you get NO Vtech till the Blue Light Goes out. So no Vtec till the engine warms up.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I would probably say even when the light goes out take it easy on the throttle for few miles. Doing that can go a long way.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would probably say even when the light goes out take it easy on the throttle for few miles. Doing that can go a long way.

Always good idea to wait. It lets the oil reach operating temperature, which is when it is most effective and efficent.

Reactions: coolronz
1 - 20 of 191 Posts