9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just purchased my new SI coupe...first time car owner...trying to learn the maintenance associated with owning a car. When looking into the coolants, I originally thought there were only two...pink and green; after looking under my hood and doing a little bit of research; I've come across this blue coolant that honda seems to offer. Anyways....obviously i dont always want to go back to honda or purchase honda coolants in the future; I just wanted to confirm that the coolant I use (2012 si coupe) is the green one? And if so...when i first fill up, can i just mix it into the blue coolant?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Yeah there are different colors, but honestly it's a brand new car, you shouldnt have to worry about your coolant for a long time, I'm pretty sure that no maintance is needed with the coolant system for 100k miles, but even still at that point it's just a flush and re-fill. But the Prestone coolant greenish yellow coolant can mix with any color, but I always drained my coolant system instead of mixing when I had leaks and had to repair them and replace coolant

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You mean i don't have to worry about it for 100km? Don't I have to re-fill it up like how I have to refill my windshield fluid?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Unless you have a leak in the system coolant is almost mantenance free. You wont have to periodically fill it up like you do washer fluid.

If you do need to top it up the blue coolant you see is Honda's Type 2 coolant that they started using in 2005.

·
Registered
703 Posts
100 thousand miles, unless you get a leak, and no it's not like windshield washer fluid, coolant flows through the radiator and all through the engine block to cool the motor when the engines running its constantly flowing, and with no leak the level doesn't change, behind the battery is coolant overflow resivour, it has a cold and hot measure line on it that's where you add coolant when you need it but like I said its brand new, coolant will not be something to worry about for a while.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with it. Coolant can be left alone, that's all it does is cool the motor, dosent really matter what you run for coolant

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have 3200 on my si and I am at the minimum line on the reservoir. I have not smelled or seen a sign of a leak. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well it is do to the fact that the above post states you should not have to worry about it for 100K miles!!!! Apology accepted

·
Registered
703 Posts
If its at the min line when the motors cold that's ok, that resivour your seeing the lines on it a overflow, when the engines hot that resivour is going to be up by that max line, as long as you have coolant in that overflow resivour then you don't have anything to worry about

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I got a question tho how much coolant does the Si take I am gonna be doing the prl rbc adapter with rbc manifold and I am taking out the coolant then refilling after

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Good question,I'm getting the silicon hoses ,this is a must know.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
373 Posts
I got a question tho how much coolant does the Si take I am gonna be doing the prl rbc adapter with rbc manifold and I am taking out the coolant then refilling after

Draining only the radiator, a gallon would probably be sufficient.
Drain the block too, another gallon.

Drain your coolant into a clean container and reuse as much as you can? (strain through a coffee filter first)

EDIT: I have not drained coolant from a K24 Si yet here, but the rest of Hondas fleet seems to follow this rule of thumb so I figure this should be no different.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Draining only the radiator, a gallon would probably be sufficient.
Drain the block too, another gallon.

Drain your coolant into a clean container and reuse as much as you can? (strain through a coffee filter first)

EDIT: I have not drained coolant from a K24 Si yet here, but the rest of Hondas fleet seems to follow this rule of thumb so I figure this should be no different.
Thanks man I am just gonna get new coolant from honda so I am not gonna re-use my old stuff

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Anybody still using the honda coolant?
Yes always.
Cost should not be a concern because the coolant does not need to be replaced very often.
Wait for the Maintenance Minder to prompt for coolant service.
Or.
If you want to be extra anal about coolant service have it replaced every 3 years along with the brake fluid.

·
Registered
607 Posts
100,000 miles?? Shouldnt we be changing our our coolant and ATF at 30,000 miles??

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I was a general service tech at a Honda dealership for a couple years. Theoretically you shouldn't have to top off coolant but Hondas do burn it or do something with it. Almost every oil change on Hondas we had to top off the coolant. Didn't seem to matter if there was 50k or 150k on the car, the reservoirs were always low. I would buy one gallon of Honda coolant and keep it on hand just in case. I have two gallons in my garage.

·
Registered
373 Posts
100,000 miles?? Shouldnt we be changing our our coolant and ATF at 30,000 miles??
Coolant, nope. Read your owners manual.. 30k for coolant would be "extra anal" as Teeps stated above.

OTOH, I'd recommend ATF every 30k or even more often.....based solely on past performance of Hondas automatic transmissions.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts