9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone opted for the coupe only to realize that its reduced practicality compared to a sedan is a nightmare and a dealbreaker?
I've had a 2-door but it was the GTI and maybe it being a hatchback made things a little easier.

Let me know what your experience has been having a 9th gen coupe instead of a sedan. It seems the Si coupes are a lot more plentiful than sedans.

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
2015 Honda Civic Si Coupe
854 Posts
What's so impractical about a coupe? Works fine for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Larger front doors, making it potentially more difficult in parking spots, doors on GTI were pretty hefty, though I suspect it'll be less of a problem in a Honda.

No rear door means you have to pretzel yourself between the B-pillar and the front seat pulled forward if carrying longer objects

Slide-out sun visors don't reach the b-pillar (I'm very sensitive to sunlight)

I remember bemoaning getting a 2-door instead of a 4-door GTI from time to time but not enough to trade it in, and I've yet to go more than 3 years in one car.

·
Registered
2015 Honda Civic Si Coupe
854 Posts
Larger front doors, making it potentially more difficult in parking spots, doors on GTI were pretty hefty, though I suspect it'll be less of a problem in a Honda.

No rear door means you have to pretzel yourself between the B-pillar and the front seat pulled forward if carrying longer objects

Slide-out sun visors don't reach the b-pillar (I'm very sensitive to sunlight)

I remember bemoaning getting a 2-door instead of a 4-door GTI from time to time but not enough to trade it in, and I've yet to go more than 3 years in one car.
Put stuff in the trunk. Lay down the seats and you get more room. Didn't think about parking, but that's sort of true, if the car you parked next to can actually park correctly and not a dumb angle. I just got used to it I suppose.
A sedan is way more practical just imagine if you ever have to get anything or anyone into and out of the backseat. Also in the used car market a sedan will be more in demand.
I don't put anything back there I can't reach back from the seat, like the HeatSheild or random crap I forgot, like a thick sweatshirt or ice scraper. Throw everything else in the trunk. I bought a two door so I don't have to worry about taking other people lol

Reactions: vtec9

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,568 Posts
The way I see it, it depends on your situation. For many years, I am primarily the only one in my car, with an occasional trip with my wife. No dependent children anymore. Almost never need the back seat. And we have an Accord for when we do.

Parking/door issues are rarely an issue. Occasionally some schlamiel will park too close to my door, but I can get in with little-to-no problem, even with a fedora on. I may be 60+ but I am small-framed and in good shape.

And I love the look of the coupe so these perceived issues are virtually meaningless to me.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Just really depends. There were sedans i've owned that couldn't fit as much stuff as my coupe. It really comes down to personal usage.

·
Registered
976 Posts
The trunk in these cars is really massive for a compact car. I've never had any issue with space for carrying things. I even throw my bike in the back with the front tire off and the rear seats down pretty often. If you regularly put people in the back seat of your car then it could be an issue, but other than that the coupe has plenty of space to be a personal car.

That said, there is no scenario where the sedan is less practical than the coupe. Some of your concerns aren't even considerations for me, like door size and sun visor coverage so I am a bad judge for that. If these are high priority items for you, why not just go for the sedan?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts