9th Gen Civic Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2012 civic si
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Havent updated in awhile. Heres how the car is sitting now.. rad cross bar is all assembled with rad and ac condensor mounted. Re did the entire braking system.. now to toss the front end on and send it away to the glass shop
Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Sky
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Car Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2012 civic si
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Long time no update ~ the car is essentially finished now minus government inspections and 4 wheel alignment

Figured id do my best to recount my steps and share the photos that i did take

Like mentioned in my previous post i had redone the brakes and was getting ready to send the car off for a front windshield

Didnt take many photos of the brakes but it got the following:

-Coated rotors - F/R

-Painted front calipers silver to match an oem ish finish

-new OEM rear calipers and brackets

-new dynamic friction track day/autocross pads F/R. (looking forward to testing these, my initial opinion is decent, they have good street manners and dont seem to dust much. See how they do in HS autocross)

-complete fluid flush with dot 3
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2012 civic si
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Next i decided to tackle the RSB, and horrible task of cleaning the rear underbody. It was caked with dirt/grim and surface rust. Id been dreading it but it was something i wanted to do to keep my ocd happy. Starting it shortly before it was booked in for glass probably wasnt the best idea 😆

I started by removing all the plastic diffuser panels (Holy siezed clips batman)

Grass Plant Groundcover Grassland Landscape

Here all the panels and inner fenders layed out on my lawn to get a proper scrubbing

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Never have i had so much dirt in my eyes as doing this job lol, I imagine my curb weight came down a pound or two 😎

·
Registered
2012 civic si
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Little sway bar comparsion. This should do nicely

Top - 13 si
Middle - 14 si
Bottom - 22mm progress non adjustable (now installed)

I run the same bar on my HS 8th gen Si and it made a world of difference. Picked this one up used for 175$ cad with endlinks included

Bumper Cable Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Auto part

·
Registered
2012 civic si
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Next was to move it outside and start hosing it off and scrubbing it clean, while it was a very dirty job it was quite satisfying rinsing off the crud of the years

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

before reassembly i coated all the metal areas with a petroleum based rust inhibitor

And any small spots of rust like pictured below, i treated them and then added a generous covering of POR15

Wheel Motor vehicle Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Not pictured, i also replaced the RUCA. They were crusty AF. And since i want to get thr most out of this car in HS i figured it would be good to tighten up the tolerances

Old ones 😬

Wood Body jewelry Necklace Jewellery Tree

·
Registered
2012 civic si
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Threw the front end together haphazardly (keep it easy for the body shop to disassemble and paint)

Picked up a permit and took it to have the windshield done!

Wheel Tire Vehicle Cloud Land vehicle

First ever drive 😎

Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Azure

Drives like a glove. No suprises other than a small clunk in the front passenger corner over bunps. Suspected to be a swaybar endlink.

Sky Vehicle Plant Car Hood

·
Registered
2012 civic si
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
On a small stroke of badluck, on the way home from the glass shop both my front inner fenders got sucked into the tires and shredded up. My fault.. i didnt even consider it to have been an issue have them in there loosely. Live and learn ¯\(ツ)
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Called honda and ordered up a new pair at an eye watering 350$ 😭 ooops.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

Didn't want to waste anymore time so i ziptied them in with 6 or so tie wraps and headed off to leave it at the body shop for paint 😬

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Bye bye 👋 see you soon

·
Registered
2012 civic si
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
3 weeks later i called to see if they had a chance to squeeze my car in and they said it was done! Excitedly i ripped down there and this was what i seen 😎

Wheel Automotive parking light Car Tire Vehicle

All one color! Hooray. Looks a little silly missing its trims and not being on the correct wheels but we will remedy that soon enough

Laptop Vehicle Gadget Font Audio equipment

Tested the fuel capacity on the way home 🤣45min drive over a mountain pass.. yeah, little close for comfort. But made it home safely and snapped a few pics of it. My moms 2012 DBP fb6 photo bombing in the background

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

paint came out pretty nice but not perfect. It was a good cash deal so im happy with it, and ultimately its going to be a driver. Only wish it could have been blended a bit but what can ya do, assembly next! Getting exciting

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
2012 civic si
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Then i remembered i should do some maintenance while the cowl was off. Work smart not hard lol

Thought @ 230km i should do a valve adjustment not knowing the last time it was done (if it even ever was)

To my relief it was very clean inside the head! On carfax the car had very regular service records but with larger intervals than im comfortable doing (15,000km+) but it was highway driven. I usually stick to 5 to 8000km which is what this car will get in the foreseeable future.

Threw in some new oem spec spark plugs as well. Old ones still looked good though

Fluid Finger Nail Thumb Wood

nice clean valve train, booo-ya

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold

valve cover was very clean too, less worl for me 😎

Motor vehicle Gas Machine Auto part Metal

·
Registered
2012 civic si
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
While it was apart i decided to throw a new VC gasket/grommets at it, and paint the VC wrinkle black. When in Rome, right?

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Vehicle Car

New serpentine belt was installed next, not pictured here. But i splurged and bought a Dayco.

Then it was onto the air and oil side of things

The motor got 5 liters of fresh 0w20 honda full synthetic as well as a new OEM honda oil filter

The transmission was treated to 2 fresh liters of MTF

Fluid Automotive tire Tin Liquid Gas

Whilst i was still in Rome i decided to throw some speed factory magentic drain plugs in the motor/trans for extra protection. I tossed the uncluded crush washers in favor of honda ones, seemed to be be a bit better quality

Tire Automotive tire Finger Thumb Gas

To my suprise when i opened up the airbox i found it already had a k&n filter, albeit a very very grimy one. Since i had already purchased a new one i tossed it in.. ill clean the old one and use it to cycle between them. (Wash and prep one while the other is being used to streamline my services)

Automotive tire Rectangle Composite material Gas Auto part

Since i was doing filters i took the time to toss in a new cabin filter too, it was due but not awful.

Wood Grey Rectangle Road surface Font

·
Registered
2012 civic si
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
A few other things of note from the service

The airbox was DIRTY. This car must have definitely seen some dirt roads in its life haha. That and the previous filter may have been over oiled

Before:
Hood Automotive tire Grey Sculpture Art

After:
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Cookware and bakeware

Little super purple and hot water and shes looking brand new again.

The other thing was the original drain plug and oil filter. Both severely overnight, keep your cars outta lube shops people! The drain plug also had some sort of aftermarket seal ring, seemed effective but like mentioned earlier i went back to the oem honda crush washer
Hand Automotive tire Finger Household hardware Nickel

The other noteworthy thing was the trans seemed to be over filled. I didnt measure it.. but id estimate it was like 3 liters. At least it was clean ¯\(ツ)

·
Registered
2012 civic si
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Short shifter time

No this isnt legal in scca HS. But im chocking it up to comfort/convenience. I have it set to 10% shorter than oem.. i dont think that will be the difference between me winning and losing.. plus i only race local

Its one of those things ive always wanted to try so i splurged on this car and though what the heck, plus it will allow me to set the oem height as my new shift knob will sit taller than the original.

Anyway enough jabbering.. heres some pics

New vs old
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle part Gas Font

Installed 😎

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Rim

And i saved the best for last..

The OEM 2022 Si shift knob!

Vehicle Gear shift Car Motor vehicle Steering part

·
Registered
2012 civic si
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
Also used a hybrid boot collar to tie it all together

Gear shift Car Vehicle Automotive design Hood

Oh! And had the new rubber mounted up on some 13 Si wheels. The rims are actually off my girlfriends 2013 FBP fb6.. they arent perfect, have about 300,000km on them but they will clean up nice

For tires i went with firehawks in the spec size. 215/45R17
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

For those wondering no i didnt steal her wheels haha.. i traded her for a set of black enkei ts5's i had, nice wheels but i want an oem look on this car

Heres hers with the new to her wheels

Wheel Tire Sky Car Land vehicle

Yes its dirty, it almost always is. 350,000km strong 💪

·
Registered
398 Posts
Next was to move it outside and start hosing it off and scrubbing it clean, while it was a very dirty job it was quite satisfying rinsing off the crud of the years

View attachment 496201

before reassembly i coated all the metal areas with a petroleum based rust inhibitor

And any small spots of rust like pictured below, i treated them and then added a generous covering of POR15

View attachment 496202

Not pictured, i also replaced the RUCA. They were crusty AF. And since i want to get thr most out of this car in HS i figured it would be good to tighten up the tolerances

Old ones 😬

View attachment 496203

Nice work! I need to do my rear upper control arms too. They look crusty just like that! LOL.

·
Registered
2012 civic si
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Alright, the car has officially passed all inspections and has been insured now for the past 6 days! Super exciting, has been fun to daily drive it 😀

So ill start with a before/after to get the full effect

Before:

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

After:

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
2012 civic si
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
Heres some 360° views just to show off the car

Im by no means an pro detailer, but this is after a full iron x decon, clay bar, 2 stage polish and a coat of butter wax. Im quite happy with the results, the paint really came back and the car is looking stunning.

Keep in mind its seen 9 western Canadian winters 🥶

Automotive parking light Automotive side-view mirror Grille Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Plant

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
2012 civic si
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
My girlfriend and I also took the car for its first "roadtrip" over the weekend. About a 4hr round trip on the highway and the car performed flawless and the ac blew cold!

(My previous daily hasnt had ac for 2 years)

When we were in town i stopped at a local friends shop and had the front headlights wrapped in xpel PPF

They turned out really good! Remember these were junkyard headlights (2 sets to make 1)

All said and done they are about 250$ investment, much cheaper than buying new 😬 but with almost brand new looking results

And i gotta say im loving the contrast of the 2012 amber lenses on the TW 2013 front end 😎

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

First autocross event coming up on the 18th with it.. updates to follow

41 - 60 of 74 Posts