9th Gen Civic Forum banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

Registered
2012 civic si
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Got around to fixing my backup camera today.

My original must have got moisture in it at some point, it was heavily fogged from inside the car on the display as seen here.. but nothing noticeable on the outside

Black Automotive design Plant Audio equipment Display device

I found a chinese knock off on amazon with the same part number (camera only)

From honda you have to buy the pigtail/mount/camera all as one unit. And the cheapest i found was $300 + cad 馃槼

The amazon unit was 50$ shipped, so i took the gamble

Here's a shot of it next to the oem unit

Left - oem Right - knockoff

Rectangle Audio equipment Indoor games and sports Gadget Automotive tire

The online reviews were a mixed bag, some had failure due to moisture and MANY had the qc issue of the image being inverted.. lol

Well turns out mine is inverted 馃ぃ

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive navigation system Car Plant

The factory mount unfortunately only lets the camera key in one way. But i figured if i eventually have to bite the bullet and buy a honda unit, it comes with a new mount.. so i decided lets dremel this one and see if we can make it work with a flipped camera

Factory mount - marked my initial cut with a sharpie

Finger Gas Thumb Auto part Fashion accessory

Ended up having to remove alot of material, but heres the finished product

Digital camera Camera lens Camera accessory Point-and-shoot camera Reflex camera

And the backside opened up, unfortunately this will expose it to weather so ill fix this once the camera is mounted in

Finger Gadget Technology Cable Bumper

With the mount prepped i turned my attention to the camera itself. With a few people haveing moisture issues i figured i would run a bead of CA glue around the seam to try and seal it up better.

Gadget Finger Cable Wire Auto part

I also raided my RC room for some marine grease, figured id use it on the o-ring for the wire connection and for the main housing that clips into the trunk. Just an extra precaution

Fluid Font Material property Tints and shades Gas

My rRC stash also came in handy when i lost one of the mounting screws. Found a 1.5mm allen key that was close in size and it threaded right in (lower right corner)

Hand Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread

And finally to seal up the back i just ran a thick bead of clear silicone into it, should do the trick

Yellow Bumper Wood Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Registered
2012 civic si
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Before installing it back in the car i added one more bead of CA glue around the lens edge just to hopefully fend of more moisture

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive tire Camera lens

And heres the final result! It works great, and all 3 modes function as they should. I will update back if it fails early.. but heres to hoping it doesn't!

Automotive design Motor vehicle Personal luxury car Gadget Auto part

Registered
2012 civic si
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
While i was in the shop i started prepping the last few bits on the car for HS competition

Starting with the front service or "crash bolts"

Font Gas Water Tin Metal

Factory - 16mm

Automotive tire Gas Font Auto part Bicycle part

Service bolt - 15mm

Camera accessory Grass Cameras & optics Gas Measuring instrument

Out with the old and in with the new..

Gas Art Font Wood Grass

I used a ratchet strap to pull the new found movement in the strut, tied it around the base and back to the tow hook on the opposite side and sinched it down tight

This saved me from wrestling it tight and trying to tighten the bolts at the same time. Is it really a dumb idea if it works? 馃

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light Vehicle brake Gas

Mode of transport Motor vehicle Automotive tire Asphalt Building

Next was to pull the cowl off and see if i could get any movement out of the top hats. Long story short.. not really. But on the passenger side i did get slight movement

You can see the clean paint mark here that it did move a smidge..

H street gains 馃ぃ

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Rim Automotive design

I will get it on the alignment rack in the next few days to see what i obtained! For now heres a few pics of the visual camber gain on each side

Left

Tire Wheel Grille Hood Automotive tire

Right

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

Registered
2012 civic si
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
When I ordered my crash bolts, it didn't come with washers. LOL. Putting them on, I didn't bother with ratchet straps. Just threw them on and tightened. Worked out fine.
Strange, i wonder if there is an updated part number. I recall the person behind the desk saying there was two but i dont recall why we chose the one we did.. either way it was the same story as the crash bolts in my FA5, 1mm less diameter

iirc yours wasnt able to get much on camber the one side?

Registered
2012 civic si
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
The numbers are in, we threw the car on the rack tonight to reset the toe and see what camber we achieved

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Numbers

Vehicle Speedometer Trip computer Gauge Tachometer

The passenger side ended up being -1.2 after all was said and done but i forgot to get a picture of that

Normally id be more picky about side to side symmetry.. but this is HS, gotta take what we can get 馃ぃ

We also mounted up a new set of 660s..
event coming up this sunday. Most likely be rained out so im hoping to give these a scrub on the street before the event

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

My RPF1's are in desperate need of a clean. The winmax pads in my FA5 dust horribly, curious to see what the dynamic friction do on the fb6.. so far so good, but i havent driven them in anger yet.. yet 馃槑

Tire Wheel Membranophone Automotive tire Motor vehicle

6 tires deep in the backseat LOL

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

The old set probably still have a few events on them..

Registered
Strange, i wonder if there is an updated part number. I recall the person behind the desk saying there was two but i dont recall why we chose the one we did.. either way it was the same story as the crash bolts in my FA5, 1mm less diameter

iirc yours wasnt able to get much on camber the one side?
Yes. Fast forward to this year the rf spring broke. Got new front struts and springs and now both sides are at .9. Most likely old suspension will pull more camber

Sent from my iPhone 13 Pro while on the toilet.

Registered
2012 civic si
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Competed in the first autocross for the 9th gen this weekend. Car overall performed great, easy to drive.. transitions quick and felt stable (no suprise characteristics) May look into koni yellows for the rear soon but im in no rush -- not looking to go with a bigger bar then the 22mm progress, it rotated enough for my liking and im gonna winter drive this thing

Ended up with a 3rd outta 91 in PAX and 1/7 in H-street

Registered
2012 civic si
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Between this car and the STS CRX, I rather drive STS. Everything just works. HS sucks! LOL.

That was a tight course! So much steering input.

Yeah the sts car would be alot more fun to race! However the 8hrs spent on the road to compete would suck ass in a crx 馃ぃ

They trailer theirs, understandably

Registered
Yeah the sts car would be alot more fun to race! However the 8hrs spent on the road to compete would suck ass in a crx

They trailer theirs, understandably
We drive the sts car out to Lincoln. It wasn鈥檛 bad. I actually was able to stay awake and averaged 40 mpgs lol

Sent from my iPhone 13 Pro while on the toilet.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts