9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ight so I have a 2015 si that I’ve had for almost a year and yesterday I was with a friend and I randomly started hearing creaking from I think my suspension when ever I turned the wheel. This only happens at low speeds and you can kind of hear it when you come to a stop but I’m not sure what it is. Do any of you know what could be the problem?

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,351 Posts
Are you riding on stock or aftermarket suspension?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Others could give better mechanical explanations than I can, but some pops and light creaks seem to be inherent in the suspension design. That's not to say that's definitely what you're hearing though. If you've added any polyurethane bushings you can pretty much say goodbye to quiet parking lot maneuvers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s on stock suspension and I drove it around a bit more and the sound is coming from the passenger side part of the suspension I think it’s something with the ball joint because you can also hear the sound when ever you start in gear

·
Registered
6 Posts
You might want to have he electronic steering rack checked. I was t-boned a few years ago, and after it was fixed, I started to hear a faint creaking noise when pulling onto the street from being parallel parked. The electronic steering rack was the culprit. Added $3k more to the repair bill that someone else paid.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Creaking at low speeds (parking lots ect.) typically while turning is usually a sway bar link (rusting at the ball joints). The link is tighter with rust built up in the joint w/ no grease, so when you turn it makes a vibration that travels through the strut and will make a noticeable creak. If you have front tower brace, check if it’s tight. If it’s cold, it’s normal to hear creaks on vehicles that have upgraded suspension parts, or pillow ball upper camber plates/bushings. Pillow ball front strut mounts are solid and have a ball joint just like any bother, usually open to the elements. If not lubricated constantly, they will rust and creak when cold. Also, ball joint wear will cause play in the joint and can make other noises. Check sway bar links by having a friend hold the sway bar tight in his hand and turn the steering wheel slowly, no vibration, move to another component. I have had many many cars not make this noise sitting in a bay and turning the wheel, until you bounce the car up and down, you can hear it squeak.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts