9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Honda Civic EX Coupe
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm loving my car so far, but there's a couple random things that irk me about it, and I'm wondering if anyone has any explanations they could give.

First thing is kind of hard to describe, so I'll explain how it happens every single time:
  1. Start the car.
  2. Put it in D and start driving.
  3. Once you hit about 4 mph, the gas pedal will have a slight audible vibration. This will never happen again until the next time you start driving (which for me, is at least a couple hours apart)
Is this normal? I'm assuming it's not any kind of issue regardless if it is or not. My dad's 2012 Accord V6 also does this, at around 15-25 mph (I never paid attention to the speed, but it's always perfectly consistent, just like in my car)

Second thing I've noticed: Headlights/running lights dim a little bit when you turn the wheel. Does the power steering really just use that much power? I've really only noticed this sitting in the driveway, considering the power steering has to work hardest sitting at a stop, which doesn't really matter since you only really need the headlights when you're driving... Again - a non-issue, but a curiosity nonetheless.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,255 Posts
I've never noticed the turning the wheels at a stop/headlight dimming, but it makes sense since these cars have electric, rather than hydraulic, power steering.

I have also never noticed a gas pedal vibration.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correction + further testing: I think the vibration actually comes through the brake pedal, not the gas (why would you need the gas at 4 mph anyway?).
Also, the sort of buzzing noise it makes is much more prominent than the vibration itself.
I may need to do further further testing, but for now, the only thing that would make the noise happen again was driving it, parking it, turning it completely off (key out and all), starting it back up, reversing and then driving again - that's a lot of variables, but the one thing I did different from all my other tests was taking the key out completely.

·
Registered
1 Posts
100% normal, man. The vibration you feel is the abs self test. The lights dimming are due to the increased resistance of the car turning the wheels while not rolling forward. It's an electric power steering system that uses some current. The charging system is the size it needs to be to function without going over board.

Your car is fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
100% normal, man. The vibration you feel is the abs self test. The lights dimming are due to the increased resistance of the car turning the wheels while not rolling forward. It's an electric power steering system that uses some current. The charging system is the size it needs to be to function without going over board.

Your car is fine.
Correction 2: I don't think there's actually any vibration, it just sounds like it - and I think it comes more from the area of the gear selector... Regardless, the ABS self-test is interesting, I wouldn't have expected it to be something like that. And the lights dimming do make sense now - I never really knew it was an electric system until I made this thread.

My car IS fine - and now I know just that little bit more about it! :geek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts