9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase a 9th Gen Civic for my daughter, but reading that is when CVT's were switched in instead of regular automatics transmissions. Not finding info on how many miles they will last aside from saying over 100K. Anyone hear about CVT's on Civics going past 250K?. May opt for stick on this one.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I think they may still be a bit too new to have a meaningful sample size for that many miles. Just for clarity, the CVT was only used in the 2014 and 2015s. 2012 and 2013 still have 5 Speed automatics. Also keep in mind that 2012 has the chintzy interior.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,390 Posts
We have a new member who regularly drives 80 mph and his CVT went out at 160k miles.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
he also said he abused it a bit. with any car, manual, stick, CVT whatever it is...if you abuse it...it won't last. if you plan on racing an economical car, it won't last. if you intend on dropping the clutch at every stop light, it won't last. if you powerslide around corners, pulling on the emergency/parking brake thinking you are ken block, it wont' last. if you blast the stereo...the speakers.................................won't last.

it's all in the care taken by the owner. no care, no bueno!

·
Registered
910 Posts
I'm curious what he meant by "abuse" though. Yes, things like clutch dumps are abusive and will kill any car. But I vaguely recall someone insinuating that driving quickly on the highway was a form of abuse. I would never own a car whose lifespan is shortened by driving more than 70 mph on the highway.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,403 Posts
Everything breaks. I'm sure there are owners that have gotten more miles out of their CVT than 250K and than there are owners that have gotten less. Same can be said about AT transmission too. I wouldn't put much weight on the statement that they drove 80mph regularly and CVT died at 160K unless there are widespread reports of such problems but I really haven't heard of this issue. From what I understand changing the CVT fluid regularly is important because CVT fluid breaks down easily probably should change it earlier than what Honda recommends.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,390 Posts
I was being tongue-in-cheek with my above comment.

I asked him in the other thread where his info came from because anecdotal evidence, by itself, is of little value. And it is worse when it is at first represented as an absolute instead of personal experience, which it later was.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I was being tongue-in-cheek with my above comment.

I asked him in the other thread where his info came from because anecdotal evidence, by itself, is of little value. And it is worse when it is at first represented as an absolute instead of personal experience, which it later was.
then put a 'smiley' at the end of your tongue in cheek comment!

kind of like "pictures or it didn't happen" mantra :)

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,390 Posts
then put a 'smiley' at the end of your tongue in cheek comment!

kind of like "pictures or it didn't happen" mantra :)
Edited.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts