1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I know forums are in the dark ages in 2016 but I'm still a fan haha

My dad is purchasing a 2014 Civic LX CVT Sedan with 45k miles

This will be the first CVT we've ever purchased, anything to look out for?

I've done numerous Google research and can't really find any massive faults that this particular model has.

We are taking delivery tomorrow, it is currently at the Honda dealership getting the front wheel bearings done under warranty. ( Is this somewhat normal at this mileage?)

Glad to have my dad in another Honda. We currently have 4 in the family and this will be at least our 15th Honda in the family.

Thanks!

·
Registered
451 Posts
the CVT in the '14 and '15 civics for the most part are standard honda...pretty damn reliable. Ive put 26,9xx miles on my '15 EX that I bought brand new and have never had any issues with the transmission. Only things ive picked up on is you really have to put your foot down to get the revs up if you're driving up a steeper hill and need more gas...the CVT doesn't like to be revved really and likes to sit in the 2000-3000 rpm range. But in terms of mechanical reliability they are solid.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
My 2014 LX has been absolutely flawless so far. I only have 16K miles on it, but they have been trouble free. I'd tell him to go for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys!

Great to hear, I'm hoping after the wheel bearing issue is resolved this car will be worry free for my dad for a long time.

2 questions

Does the LX model have TPMS? I really would like to get my dad either the EX oem wheels or the 9th gen Si wheels. Wondering if I have to switch the TPMS sensors over

I have an OEM rear sway bar from an 8th gen Si Coupe (FG2) will this fit the LX? Will it be a worthwhile upgrade?

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,089 Posts
Just don't rev it to the moon in neutral, and then drop it into drive. <heh heh>

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
the '14s don't have actual tpms wheel sensors. He can put whatever wheel he wants on it and it will still work.

just have to relearn the new tire/wheel combo after installation.

and i doubt the sway bar will fit. you can always go to a few aftermarket sites and look the part numbers for the two vehicles and see if it is the same number.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the '14s don't have actual tpms wheel sensors. He can put whatever wheel he wants on it and it will still work.

just have to relearn the new tire/wheel combo after installation.

and i doubt the sway bar will fit. you can always go to a few aftermarket sites and look the part numbers for the two vehicles and see if it is the same number.
collegehills says only 8th gens fit the rear sway. No biggie, I replaced my FG2 with a progress RSB and just have the oem one sitting haha

so no TPMS light will appear on the dash then? what do you mean by "relearn the new wheel/tire combo?

like an actual relearn procedure through HDS?

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,089 Posts
collegehills says only 8th gens fit the rear sway. No biggie, I replaced my FG2 with a progress RSB and just have the oem one sitting haha

so no TPMS light will appear on the dash then? what do you mean by "relearn the new wheel/tire combo?

like an actual relearn procedure through HDS?
There's a screen in the imid for TPMS Calibration. Follow the prompts - it'll tell you what to do. Basically, just drive a car for a few feet, at least on mine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Make sure it got the updates for CVT.
I ran the vin through the Honda recall site and didnt come up with anything. Is this something covered by the powertrain warranty i'm assuming?

one more question,

The car only came with 1 key fob and a valet key. Is there an immobilizer in the key fob? Meaning, if I were to buy another keyfob from amazon, will I have to have it programmed?

·
I Need A Vacation
13,117 Posts
If you buy another key fob than it has to be programmed by Honda which from what I understand they really gouge you hard.

one more question,

The car only came with 1 key fob and a valet key. Is there an immobilizer in the key fob? Meaning, if I were to buy another keyfob from amazon, will I have to have it programmed?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took delivery of the car last night everyone. Thanks for all the help

I have to get rid of the 15" LX wheels/tires, they are literal garbage lol. Those firestones are so damn loud!!!

·
Registered
492 Posts
At 45k they are likely beyond toast.

I would check with your dealer on the CVT updates. if never done... I'd think I would be free.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will do. Told my dad to get an oil change soon at Honda and I'll have him ask

Thinking of getting RPF1s for my FG2 and giving my dad my 17" HFP wheels :eusa_dance:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also, the indirect TPMS is already showing it's going to be annoying lol

went off twice already since yesterday. May have to do the full recalibration

1 - 16 of 16 Posts