9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon, i am new to this forum so forgive me if it's the wrong section. a friend of mine owns a Honda Civic IX Gen Facelift 2015, with the 1.6 D-Tech engine. For some time me and him were wondering why the dashboard lights doesn't dim automatically, when the car has the ambient light sensor (the little cover with a bump at its center). i know that it's a light sensor because we removed it from the dashboard and verified it. the annoyng thing it's the fact that when you are in the middle of a sunny day, and for some reason you have to turn on the lights, the entire dashboard intstruments dims. ok we know that the brightness can be adjusted via the knob on the right of the rpm gauge, but the thing is that it should dim to "night light" only when the outside light starts to go down/it starts to go dark, from what i know. to be clear, this car hasn't got the auto light ON/OFF feature, you can only manually turn on and off the low beams, but it would be a nonsense if it has a light sensor on the dashboard but without that feature, even the dashboard brightness doesn't auto-adjust.
one last thing, i am italian so sorry if there are some mistakes in this message.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,461 Posts
Welcome to 9th gen.

Please keep in mind that most of the members here are on the North American continent, and we didn't get the 1.6 engine. Many of the systems in your car could be different from what we have here.

My car does not have this sensor you speak of. That being said, if you can go manual (not have the dash lights change automatically), you can set your dash lights one way for headlights off, and another way for headlights on. For example, I have my dash lights set dimmer at night when my headlights are on than during the day when my headlights are off. So yes, if I turn my headlights on during the day (which I never do except for rain, but then it's cloudy so the dimmed dash lights are fine), the dash lights will dim.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Welcome to 9th gen.

Please keep in mind that most of the members here are on the North American continent, and we didn't get the 1.6 engine. Many of the systems in your car could be different from what we have here.

My car does not have this sensor you speak of. That being said, if you can go manual (not have the dash lights change automatically), you can set your dash lights one way for headlights off, and another way for headlights on. For example, I have my dash lights set dimmer at night when my headlights are on than during the day when my headlights are off. So yes, if I turn my headlights on during the day (which I never do except for rain, but then it's cloudy so the dimmed dash lights are fine), the dash lights will dim.
Many Thanks for the reply, unfortunately here in italy, when you enter highway, you have to have your low beam turned on at all times, so it becomes a bit frustrating always changing the brightness on the long run. seeing a lot of other cars with the auto dim feature, both older cars and same year cars, i thought that having the sensor installed, it would have had the same feature from the factory, without being tied with an optional for the car. When i have the chance to see again this friend of mine, i'll shoot some photos so there aren't misunderstandings

P.S. in the first post i omitted the thing that that i am talking about the 1.6L diesel engine

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,461 Posts
Okay. Here in the U.S., we have what are called DRLs (daytime running lights) that stay on when the car is running. They throw less light than low beams, and the car functions, at least as far as the dash lights are concerned, as if there are no headlights on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts