9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a 47 year old female looking to move from a sports car to something more efficient and practical.... but still a little fun. And on paper, the Si sounds like a nice fit: all the practicality of an ordinary Civic, but also with the added fun factor of a sporty sedan.

But while I love the sporty extras you get with the Si, some of the details make me hesitate... such as the decals on the sides, the power meters, etc. I get that Honda is appealing to the young enthusiast crowd for whom this is their first sporty car, but I'm wondering if older (and/or female) drivers are buying it too?

·
Registered
335 Posts
The decals should be easily removed the power meter is in the iMID if I recall correctly. If it is you can just change it to radio, MPG display, or a picture of your choosing.

The only real thing that would stop you would be driving a stick everyday and the ride is harsher than the other civic models.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'm a 47 year old female looking to move from a sports car to something more efficient and practical.... but still a little fun. And on paper, the Si sounds like a nice fit: all the practicality of an ordinary Civic, but also with the added fun factor of a sporty sedan.

But while I love the sporty extras you get with the Si, some of the details make me hesitate... such as the decals on the sides, the power meters, etc. I get that Honda is appealing to the young enthusiast crowd for whom this is their first sporty car, but I'm wondering if older (and/or female) drivers are buying it too?
I saw an older woman (older than you) driving her granddaughter yesterday in an 8th Gen Si Coupe. And I have a neighbor who is I believe 60 something who drives an STi.

·
Registered
980 Posts
The only real thing that would stop you would be driving a stick everyday and the ride is harsher than the other civic models.
The stick more than the ride really... ride is firm but as long but its far from bone jarring/rough.

As others say - decals can be removed, and you can totally ignore the power meter. I never use it... but the i-VTEC lights are actually useful, they're more line of sight than the tach, and the engine gets those revs up so darn quick!

I do suspect the baby Acura that's coming in a year or so will be the one that will see a lot of older women buyers (much like the Lexus IS250).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The stick more than the ride really... ride is firm but as long but its far from bone jarring/rough.

As others say - decals can be removed, and you can totally ignore the power meter. I never use it... but the i-VTEC lights are actually useful, they're more line of sight than the tach, and the engine gets those revs up so darn quick!

I do suspect the baby Acura that's coming in a year or so will be the one that will see a lot of older women buyers (much like the Lexus IS250).
Oh really? A new baby Acura! I sooo miss the older Integra. Never owned one, but always wanted one. That's kinda how I see the Civic Si, like it's almost an Integra in a way.

I've owned manuals now for... gasp... 20+ years? So that's fine. I am getting lazier in my old age lol, so I find myself tempted to get an auto now and then. But I feel more in control with a manual, and so more safe in a way.

The ride, well I've always owned sportier cars so I'm pretty used to it. But I'll take one out for a drive if I can and see... if I can find one on a lot. They seem to be rather rare!

·
Registered
67 Posts

I am female and turn 40 next month. I went from a 2009 Fit to a 2012 SI Coupe. I loved my Fit, but the SI is so much more fun to drive. I guess I have secretly wanted a Civic Coupe since my son got his 4 years ago.

Go for a test drive, I think that's the only way to get a feel for what you really want. Back in 2009 I test drove a Civic LX Sedan and a base Fit. The Civic was a manual and the Fit was an automatic. I picked the Fit. GL

·
Registered
16 Posts
civic si

I am 65 and just picked up my 2012 Blue Civic SI coupe today ..... previous 2 cars were Honda accord coupes v6 6 speeds.... I dont find the ride harsh at all but as others have said... test drive one and see if it puts a smile on your face.... At the end of the day, you are the only one you have to please.......

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am 65 and just picked up my 2012 Blue Civic SI coupe today ..... previous 2 cars were Honda accord coupes v6 6 speeds.... I dont find the ride harsh at all but as others have said... test drive one and see if it puts a smile on your face.... At the end of the day, you are the only one you have to please.......
My GenVII Accord 6M, my spaniel and I would love to hear more about your transition perceptions as time goes on.

best, ez....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am female and turn 40 next month. I went from a 2009 Fit to a 2012 SI Coupe...
I am 65 and just picked up my 2012 Blue Civic SI coupe today .....
Thank you everyone! Exactly the kind of encouragement I was hoping to hear ;)

And congrats, blue civicsi! That's wonderful!

I'm definately taking one out for a drive, although it looks like hurricane Irene is going to be delay that for a bit :( (I'm near Philly). I dunno what's going on here, in the last few weeks I've been through two of the worst hailstorms I've ever seen (dime+ sized, can't believe my cars weren't dented), an earthquake (in pennsylvania!?!), and now a hurricane coming...

My biggest debate is going to be coupe or sedan? I like the practicality of the sedan, but the coupe is so darn cute ;)

·
Registered
980 Posts
My GenVII Accord 6M, my spaniel and I would love to hear more about your transition perceptions as time goes on.
Had a Gen 7 too, V6 5AT though. Love the Gen 7 Accords, the J30 is a gem of an engine (silky smooth), for a while there I wished I had gotten the 6MT Accord sedan. The Si is like a mini version, tuned exhaust tone, LSD, definitely faster than the V6 5AT Accord I had, and as far as the interior tech goes, the Accord is years behind. Tracks and sticks to the road a lot better, but a firmer ride.

Give the Si a test drive if you get a chance sometime.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Had a Gen 7 too, V6 5AT though. Love the Gen 7 Accords, the J30 is a gem of an engine (silky smooth), for a while there I wished I had gotten the 6MT Accord sedan. The Si is like a mini version, tuned exhaust tone, LSD, definitely faster than the V6 5AT Accord I had, and as far as the interior tech goes, the Accord is years behind. Tracks and sticks to the road a lot better, but a firmer ride.

Give the Si a test drive if you get a chance sometime.
Yes, yes and yes.

Appreciate the response.

Yes, the J30a4 in my 6M is extremely smooth.

Yes, the new Si (per C&D) is about 3/10 of a second faster than your Accord to 60.

and finally yes - I plan a test drive. (but I've just performed the 105,000 major first maint...............I will most likely defer to the Gen9 Accord 6M coupe).

Again, appreciate your tuned-in response.

ez....

·
Registered
980 Posts
I will most likely defer to the Gen9 Accord 6M coupe
Should be interesting to see what they bring out with the Gen9. Was not a fan of Gen8 myself, but the coupe does look better than the sedan. I have some reservations about VCM (Variable Cylinder Management) being in the J35/J37 engines, great in theory for better mpg but it has its share of issues.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Should be interesting to see what they bring out with the Gen9. Was not a fan of Gen8 myself, but the coupe does look better than the sedan. I have some reservations about VCM (Variable Cylinder Management) being in the J35/J37 engines, great in theory for better mpg but it has its share of issues.
Reckon I correctly figured you and I were on the same page: GenVIII non-fan, ditto VCM and pro-coupe (altho the GenVII 6M sedan seems to be a keeper).

Saving my Naval Reserve bread for a (hopefully) fast, lightweight, fuel efficient GenIX 6M coupe. And yes, I am holding my breath!!

all the best, ez....

·
Registered
312 Posts
I am Honda's "target demographic" I suppose... 26, JUST married, good job.. Have bunch of Honda sportbike motorcycles.

Ah well, love my Si!:woowoo:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm 24 male decent job, the si take most of my money :p and wildflowers where did you find an si in pa? I looked every where closest one I could find was Delaware! of course I was only looking for a black coupe :p

·
Registered
794 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm 64 and my wife is 62. Both of us are in excellent health and are relatively fitness conscious. We have a 2008 Si sedan and a 2008 CRV EX-L. We like both cars but the Si more. We take the Si on long vacation trips due to the comfort of it's seats and enjoyable driving. The up-coming Acura is interesting and may be a possibility for us though we normally keep our Honda/Acura vehicles a minimum of 10 years. Owned mostly H/A since 1975. To me, the best way to absolutely ruin a sporty car is to get it with an automatic. Actually, I can't think of a car as sporty if it has an automatic, even when the numbers are actually better with the automatic. I may eventually feel differently but doubt it. Age is a mind thing: not chronological.

·
Registered
980 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm 40...drive "The Brown Truck" during the day and the new Si at night. Oh, the Porsche on the weekend...sometimes the Pilot when I have daddy duty!LOL

1 - 20 of 65 Posts