9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing my splash guards on my 2012 hybrid in two stages: Already installed my front ones last week and planned to do my rear ones yesterday. I ran into a slight snag. Both rear wheel wells already had inner fender covers. Trying to remove the left side one was a minor nightmare and I had to give up for now because I ran out of time and working outside was too cold!

Firstly, I had to remove the tire to access the whole thing. No big deal and I got to test out my car jack, etc. The removal of 2 of 3 inner screws was ok but one of the screws attaching the inner cover to the fender was just spinning in place. Totally aggravating but after an effort of about 20 mins with a long nose pliars in aid, I was able to remove the thread-worn screw. So I should be able to shake this inner cover loose, right? No. It looks like there is a fourth fastener, a clip I think, on the underside and it firmly securing the inner cover in place. I'm not an expert in these things but essentially when looking at it from the underside, it looks like a circular flat disk seated inside a flat collar ring. There looks to be some small access hole next to this fastener. Can anyone tell me how to best go about removing this? One other thing I noticed is that there is some tubing whose end is clipped in place to this inner cover. I am assuming that it is some venting tubing that comes out of the hybrid's Li-Ion battery pack.

I had a look at the set up in the right rear wheel well and the inner cover setup there looks pretty straightforward and matches up with the instructions for installing the rear splash guards. These instructions do not mention any special distinction for removing the inner cover for the hybrid's left rear wheel well.

If anyone has any helpful info regarding this situation, let me know. I aim to get the rear splash guards done as soon as the weather warms up and I have time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Digger. The issue I'm having is not covered by anything I've read so far. Specifically, the way the left rear wheel well's inner cover is fastened by a fourth underside fastener (I think it is a clip but not exactly sure). That and the fact there is a tubing end clipped in place in the inner cover makes me wonder why Honda does not produce instructions specifically for removing this for the left side rear splash guard install for the hybrid. I'll figure it out in time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts