9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Dimming of instrument panel normal? Adjustable?

21K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Alaric 
#1 ·
I took my fb2 in to the dealer to get checked out on some electrical issues it had, etc. When i recieved it, i noticed the instrument lights dim when i turn on the headlights. Is this normal? Can i control if it dims or how much? To be honest i did not notice if it did this before i took it in, so now this bothers me some. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#5 ·
It's normal in any car for the interior lights to dim when you turn headlights on. My si does it, and yes you should be able to control it

#7 ·
What a nice forum. i have been a member of other forums which would have seriously flamed an op for a post like this. BTW you really should read the owners manual from cover to cover to familiarize yourself with any new car. there are many functions you could be missing out on which could make your new purchase much more enjoyable.:dancingcoolsmiley:

Reactions: BONESTOCKFB6
#12 ·
^LOL! To the OP: this happens with most cars these days. I even had an Altima rental that did this. It's perfectly normal (factory setting) and I think there is a way to increase the brightness. As to why the brightness is reduced when you turn the lights on, I think it's to minimize glare or fatigue from the instrument panel when you're driving at night. Because it's dual instrument panel, with the upper one being all digital and includes the iMid display, it generates a lot of light at night. With reduced brightness, it "hits" you less. I notice when I get home at night and turn off the lights, that instrument panel is really bright at night with the lights off.

#17 ·
^ It is a nice forum. From the start all of the members wanted to make sure the community was a nice place for everyone. It's good to see that over a year later things are still the same for the most part. :)

Similar to the culture in an organization, if everyone aligns, then new members assimilate to the culture, and it continues. It's up to everyone to keep it going.

#18 ·
ok so i had this problem as well with my 2013 civic si but also noticed that sometimes the dash lights did not dim when i turned on the headlights but during driving they would dim. alternately they would sometimes be dim but for no reason brighten up. is this a ghost in my car?
- alaric

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.