9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm not alone here. Cheap plastic and orange. Hard to read the darn thing with as thin as the oil is. lol

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Yeah maybe there will be an aftermarket one soon

·
Registered
82 Posts
My step dad, who has experience working on cars, noticed the same thing when he looked under the hood. Personally, it's not a big deal for me because I'll be having someone else do my oil changes for a few years and the i-Mid helps tell me when it's time to change it. Although, I would probably check it manually as well after a while, since I don't drive a lot and the percentage meter for oil life might be measured by miles driven.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I know, when I went to check out the car at the dealer and popped the hood, I pulled out the dipstick and instantly thought to myself "W...T...F Honda," I really hope the k24's isn't like that as well, wouldn't doubt it though.

The 8th gen r18's have metal dipsticks right? I would wonder if they are interchangeable.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't care that it's plastic, but I DO care that it is difficult to read. Maybe when the oil gets a couple of thousand miles on it and darkens a bit, reading the stick will be easier. That switch was not a smart way for Honda to save 25 cents per vehicle, IMHO.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
After a beater of a car in high school, and a used car after college, i traded in for a NEW civic. Its weird, Looking under the hood has not even crossed my mind.
Maybe its because i have street parking in Boston, not alot of space to be poking around and checking things out on the car, or maybe its the peace of mind i have.
I am interested now though, gotta start checking this stuff out...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Have not seen R18 civic dipstick but the K20/24 is long metal dipstick, only thing plastic is handle .They color code maintenance items on purposes .

It is hard to see oil level but that's the light oil not any problem with dipstick .

And electronic oil levels are not great either, they can easy miss read levels . I would not want vehicle with no way to check oil levels manually .

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont understand why they went with bright orange though. The oil would be easier to see on a darker color.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I dont understand why they went with bright orange though. The oil would be easier to see on a darker color.
so the oil level indicator at end of stick is plastic too ?

Anyway as i said before the color (orange) is for easy find for maintenance , most of fluids use color coding tops .

·
Registered
218 Posts
ok , K20/24 are only plastic at top handle but really reading should not be affected to much, its only when oil is new its harder to see but just move stick in light so you see reflection.
its really easy to see no matter what type of stick .

·
Registered
794 Posts
1 - 20 of 57 Posts