9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First of all, I have already posted some information about the system on this thread: http://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/audio-video-navigation/3066-[request]-premium-audio-frequency-response.html. I don't want to revive a dead thread (and I believe nobody wants to read that again) so I would continue here. That thread would serve as background of what will be discussed here.

For anyone who doesn't want to read through the pages on that thread, let me provide some basic information. I own a EX Sedan with 160-watt basic radio made by Clarion. I want to keep iMID screen on song info since I think it's a cool feature. I have tried to use PXA-H650 to correct stock radio's EQ curve but I am totally dislike the result, since it is creating something that doesn't exist (AntEQ takes sample of the signal and try to correct the EQ curve):

So I dig into several other forums to see if anything can sound better and at the same time, keep the stock look and feature. I have found a lot of info that talks about stock premium audio with aftermarket amp. So after I get enough information I give it a try-purchase a stock Si/EX coupe CD player (also made by Clarion) and drop it in there. It is a direct fit to the face panel (however I don't think it would fit LX/HF/Hybrid panel since they use Alpine radio). I also make a custom harness and instead of connecting speaker wires to stock harness, I connect them to to H650's OEM input for testing. This is what I have found:

I really hope that someone would agree with me that the signal is flat:). Anyway, I have been using the signal straight to JL HD600/4 without any problem for 6 months (via speaker wire to RCA from the radio). I can also use H650's OEM input if I want to have Imprint and time alignment. The AUX input on H650 does not work (see reason below).

Today I finally get my old amplifier back. The amp is a class A/B, Blaupunkt VA2100, that DOES NOT have differential balance input. It DOES have optional "ground isolation" switch. My assumption to the pre-out of stock premium audio is that, it is flat (already know from above thread), and it outputs differential balance signal, and I think this post will prove it. Please correct me if I am wrong, since I am not installer, nor I am electrician, nor electrical engineer, etc...

So I connect the old amp, make sure everything is propery connected, and start the car. As soon as the engine cranks, noise gets into the sound system and plays through the speakers. Also alternator whine exists whenever I press the gas pedal. The system is dead quiet when I use JL amp with differential balance input. Another sign of the amp not accepting "proper" signal is that, there is crosstalk within the system. By that I mean, if I turn balance all the way LEFT, then disconnect the LEFT speaker, I hear the RIGHT speaker playing. So that right speaker plays the left's sound. I think this is caused by a "common ground", that half of the signal gets into the other side, since the negative of a differential balance signal is a mirror of the positive. As soon as I am done with the experiment, I turn on the "ground isolation" there's no more noise and no more crosstalk.

For more information on this topic, please google "honda premium differential balance".

·
Registered
116 Posts
In as much as I don't understand your thread but am fascinated by it, I can't wait to see who can intelligently discuss you issue with them. Might end up being something you have to take to caraudio.com but who knows. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I read quickly as I'm on my way to work, so maybe I didn't interpret it right. Just because u turn the balance all the way to one side doesn't mean the signal on the other side is 100% dead. I know my home stereos keep roughly a 10% signal going to the opposite side so I'd assume a car stereo is the same.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm just starting to investigate this. I have the LX and everything i'm reading talks about the premium system. Am I correct that the basic system doesn't have a seperate amp and therefore can't be bypassed with a new amp?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Correct. LX and EX sedan don't have outboard amp.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but this is right inline with what i'm dealing with on my 12 SI. I have a diamond audio d600.1 monoblock class d amp. That attenuation lower than 50hz is killing it for me. I'm running a PAC SNI 15 line out converter off of the sub channel in the trunk. Tried the rear left and rear right as well. Other than being louder on the sub channel by quite a bit they all filter out anything below that 50hz cutoff. So I took the speaker wire inputs of the LOC and mated a couple of pins to them and went digging in the wiring harness that comes from the head unit to the amp (right above the gas pedal on the SI Sedan.) Problem is for one I can't find a color chart that will tell me what each wire goes to, and even experimenting myself I was not able to get any signal at all to the amp. Upon further reading i'm thinking this may have something to do with the differential balance inputs. Any advice you can give me to grab a clean signal. If not I may just have to store my sub and amp until I can afford to replace the head unit. Also I'm not sure if my little connector I made was working either. It worked for everything else but the pins in that connector are small and i'm not sure I got a good connection. I'm trying to avoid t tapping or splicing wires until I know 100% which wires it is I need.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts