1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tools Needed
- Jack and two (2) Jack Stands.
- 17mm Socket and Ratchet.
- Aircraft Wash Tape. (Duct Tape will do)
- 3M Windo-Weld #08609
- Caulk Gun
- Lint Free Cloth
- Blade

Make sure you do your research before doing this project. The Hardness (Shore A) of the 3M Windo-Weld is 55-60 with a boiling point of 110*C which is perfect for this project. This isn't as strong as the Hasport Rear Engine Mount, but on a side note. I am injecting both mounts. Here is the Material Data Sheet of the Windo-Weld. Be sure to read these before you start this DIY.
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/107695O/3mtm-super-fast-urethane-08609.pdf
MDS
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=SSSSSuUn_zu8l00xlY_9lxtxlv70k17zHvu9lxtD7SSSSSS--

Step 1
- Jack up the front of the vehicle then support the weight with Jack Stands. Once that's complete re-position the jack underneath the engine and place some cardboard or a piece of wood on the floor jack to raise the engine ONLY until you start to feel tension.
IMG_3387.jpg

Step 2
- Unbolt the three (3) 17mm Bolts to the top Torque Dampener located on the passenger side of the engine bay. Once you have acquired the (3) bolts, remove the Dampener then set aside. This would be the perfect opportunity to hand turn the (3) bolts back into their original positions so you don't loose them, no one likes clutter or crap laying all over the place.
IMG_3385.jpg

Step 3
- Revert to step two, but for the lower Torque Dampener.
IMG_3386.jpg

Step 4
- Go ahead and take both Dampeners inside and find a clean area to work on. My Wife's glass dinning table looks GREAT! Okay, this would be a good idea to get a cardboard box to place your items on. Ensure you have everything close by, just in case you realize you forgot something as you're already injecting the Dampeners.
IMG_3388.jpg

Step 5
- Discard those rubber inserts and clean your Torque Dampeners with alcohol and a lint free rag. Over, and over again until you are left with a satin black color. Take note every time you make a complete pass on cleaning that you switch it up on a new portion of your lint free or you will be going nowhere. (If you want you can probably use brake cleaner, but i had alcohol laying around the house) This will be the most time consuming part during the DIY process with the exemption of the cure time.

Step 6
- If you are a perfectionist cut these two tabs on each Dampener. You'll see why later. Feel free to skip this step.
IMG_3390.jpg

Step 7
NOTE - Only tape the sides that are round on the mount.
- Place a piece of tape across the middle of the mount. Press firmly on the center until you see a clear outline to cut with your blade. (BE CAUTIOUS TO NOT CUT YOURSELF) Once you have made the cut stretch the tape around the mount to make it flush with the Dampeners body. Then place another piece of tape on the bottom and top, parallel, to the middle piece. The product should look like this once complete. Make sure to use a card to press the tape with each other and the surrounding area so the Windo-Weld doesn't leak.
IMG_3389.jpg

Step 8
- Prepare your Caulk Gun and Windo-Weld.(It's best to cut the tip of the Windo-Weld halfway from the tip to the ACTUAL cut line) I didn't cut it at first and the substance came out way to slow and i was bending the handle, so make sure you cut the tip.(no pun intended) Feel free to go crazy and fill the holes all the way to the top. Don't be afraid to over fill these Dampeners because we will be trimming the excess later.
IMG_3392.jpg

Step 9
- After you let each Dampener sit for about 10 mins you can take Dental Floss and work from the outside in to trim the excess Windo-Weld.(I messed up the first one from working inside out, wasted to much time on it.) Make sure not to reuse the floss. Get a new one after each swipe, this stuff is sticky. Once it looks good and is flush with the outer portions of the Dampener cut your lint free cloth about 1" by however long the cloth is. Then wrap that around your two dominant fingers. Dab some alcohol on the tip of your fingers and rest your arm on the table, then turn the whole Dampener Assembly with your non dominant hand. If too much adhesive gets on the lint free, discard and cut another piece of your lint free, apply alcohol and start rotating again until it looks good enough for you.
IMG_3393.jpg

Step 10
- Place your Dampeners in a safe place with the ambient temp of 70*F. If you have a dehumidifier go ahead and use it in that room, it wouldn't hurt. Allow your Dampeners to cure for at LEAST (24) hours before you install. At 70*F (24) hours should be safe, but i recommend (48) hours. Make sure you clean up your work area!
IMG_3394.jpg

Step 11
- Once your Dampeners are cured, re-install them into their perspective locations.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If any of the pictures do not work. Please don't hesitate to let me know.

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
Cool write up.

Question... Why didn't you use the diy mm kit that energy suspension sells?they have different hardnesses as well.?
Just wondering. Was it a cost thing?did you just have the WW laying around

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool write up.

Question... Why didn't you use the diy mm kit that energy suspension sells?they have different hardnesses as well.?
Just wondering. Was it a cost thing?did you just have the WW laying around
Wow, I didn't know they had a MM Kit. I actually just bought all the stuff today and I guess you can say it is a money thing. My wife would kill me if I would've bought MM's. Don't believe me, ask Erkon. He'll tell you HAHA! I had to do some sneaky stuff to get my short shifter.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MODS can i get the thread updated to get, "DIY:" at the beginning.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Come back when your done installing see what it did for you.if not,you can easily removed the stuff and later do the diymm
Yeah. Ill probably make a video after the installation to review it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How does the car feel now that you windowelded the torque dampers?
I don't know yet. I'm still allowing the Windo-Weld to cure. I just opened up the tape today to introduce Oxygen to the other half. Once I install it i'll work on a video for you guys to show the engines movement under load.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Word. Pet Detective all over again. Laces out Dan
It seems as Dolphin fans or Jim Carrey knows that concept, and you must be a Carrey fan!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
12 Posts
JDMisland;2999066 [SIZE=2 said:
Step 7
[/SIZE]NOTE - Only tape the sides that are round on the mount.
- Place a piece of tape across the middle of the mount. Press firmly on the center until you see a clear outline to cut with your blade. (BE CAUTIOUS TO NOT CUT YOURSELF) Once you have made the cut stretch the tape around the mount to make it flush with the Dampeners body. Then place another piece of tape on the bottom and top, parallel, to the middle piece. The product should look like this once complete. Make sure to use a card to press the tape with each other and the surrounding area so the Windo-Weld doesn't leak.
View attachment 386818

Cut Hole insert ######

1 - 20 of 46 Posts