9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently got a takeda intake and documented the install process. I performed this on a 2013 si coupe. I want to preface this by saying that the unit I received had several fitment issues that made the install a little more difficult, and only time will tell if it will create problems later. Hopefully i just got a lemon.

Time: 1-2 hours
Skill Level: Basic
Car used in instructional: '13 si coupe

Parts needed:
Flathead Screwdriver
8mm nut driver (maybe not needed, I used a phillips head screwdriver)
Ratchet and extension
10mm socket
pliers

Removal:
(Pics come before the associated step. Click to enlarge.)

IMG_1103.JPG
1. Loosen The clamp at the throttle body.

IMG_1104.JPG
2. Unplug the MAF sensor. It unclips if you press the tab where my thumb is and pull.
IMG_1105.JPG
3. Unclip MAF sensor harness from housing. Use pliers to squeeze the tabs in before pulling and it'll come right out.
IMG_1106.JPG
4. Remove crank case breather from OE tube. Squeeze the metal clip with pliers and wiggle the breather free.
IMG_1107.JPG
5. Unclip two metal clips off OE air box and remove the top along with tube.
IMG_1108.JPG
6. Unscrew lower housing mount indicated in picture with 10mm socket and extension.
IMG_1109.JPG IMG_1110.JPG
7. Pull the lower half of the OE box out. It's attached at the rear by rubber grommets on metal pins. In the pic you can see one grommet that pulled out and a bare metal pin they go on. This requires a little bit of force to remove so don't be scared and wear gloves. Remove and save all 3 grommets and the screw.
IMG_1111.JPG
8. Possibly optional. Remove the factory air duct/top of resonator tube. I did this but I don't know if it's necessary. Try leaving it in and if you have trouble fitting the AFE box, then take it out.

Continued in next post...

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
IMG_1112.JPG
9. If you haven't already, remove the three grommets from the stock airbox and install them on the AFE box
IMG_1113.JPG
10. Install the Takeda housing. If you took the resonator tube out, this is the part where it has to go back in. I found that it was easier to have the resonator tube in first, then fit it to the AFE box. *This is where I had fitment issues. The Takeda box put the grommets just a little too far apart for a nice easy fit, and the front grommet with the screw hardly secures the box at all and I'm a little afraid that the AFE airbox could get knocked out of position and loosen up its seals/connections if I hit a bump.
IMG_1114.JPG
11. Remove the crank case ventilation hose off the valve cover.
IMG_1116.JPG
12. Remove the coolant hose. It is attached at two places, disconnect at both. It's hard to see but I'm pointing at them in the pic. I slid the metal clamps down the tube a bit then wiggled the hoses off using pliers. Caution, could leak hot coolant if you haven't let the car cool down enough yet. Have a towel nearby because it will leak a little. If you're confused with what to remove, look at next step.
IMG_1118.JPG
13. This is what you should have removed now.
IMG_1119.JPG
14. Use the thinner hose supplied by AFE and replace the recently removed coolant hose using factory clips. The factory clips are a very tight fit but they do fit and they only need to go on the very ends of the tube.
IMG_1115.JPG
15. Remove MAF sensor from old tube and install on the Takeda tube using OE screws.

Continued in next post...

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Install continued.
IMG_1121.JPG
16. Broke this into parts:
1. Install silicon coupling onto throttle body and metal AFE tube with AFE provided clamps.
2. Install the included Takeda Air filter into the housing and tighten using the supplied clamp.
3. Install the Takeda metal tube into the air filter
4. Re connect the MAF
5. Install the fatter AFE supplied rubber tube (crank hose).

*The install of the metal tube was difficult due to the improper tolerances and poor fit of the Takeda box. It too me some time between loosening the clamps and wiggling things around then reclamping to get everything to finally fit. If you run into these issues try this:
-Put the silicon coupling on the metal tube first very loosely clamp it. Then securely clamp it to the throttle body. Now wiggle it into the air filter and work it back and forth until it is seated deep enough in the air filter that you can secure it with the filter clamp. Finally, tighten down the clamp holding the silicon coupling to the metal tube.

17. Put the Carb EO sticker on. I put mine on the silicon coupling, hopefully it doesn't get too hot or anything. I also wrapped packing tape around it a few times because the sticker adhesive is pretty weak.

18. Make sure everything is tightened down and you're done!
IMG_1102.JPG Before
IMG_1120.JPG After

IMG_1122.JPG
This shows how the far off the fitment was. This is the grommet with the screw. Notice how the airbox is not even close to being lined up correctly with it, and it doesn't look like it will be held in securely. Hopefully your Takeda Airbox is a better fit. Again, this was the '13 si.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hopefully this helps and wasn't done already. I did this in one take so if I put this in the wrong place or there are grammar or any other mistakes, let me know and I'll edit them.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Looking into getting this intake because apparently the gains are great after a tune. Surprised this thread hasn't gotten much attention. Any issues what so ever so far?
btw great write up!

·
Registered
18 Posts
i installed the same intake on my k24 ilx and same fitment issue with that grommet lining up. Awesome intake though

1 - 7 of 7 Posts