9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my write up for adding Carplay to a 2014 Civic Si for less than $150 while retaining all OEM capabilities.
Parts needed:
A 2016 Honda CRV EXL stock radio, its the 7 speaker one that uses an external amp. Model number 39100-T1W-A41-M1 NR-244UH 5CV50-T
$120 from here CRV 2015-2016 touchscreen CD radio 7-speaker NEW
(0.JPG)
A dash kit you don't mind modifying or a printed surround like the STL file attached here.
A USB drive to update the firmware on the CRV head unit
CarPlay Firmware and Dash STL file for the dash can be found here:

First pull the existing head unit.
Remove the metal brackets from the original head unit and put them aside.
If you are going to use the 3D printed surround put it on the CRV head unit and then attach the metal brackets
I used Metal foil tape to attach the surround to the head unit, but it could be done lots of other/better ways.
Attach all cables to the CRV radio, except the GPS cable. (If you are looking at it from the back it is the upper left cable. When looking at it from the front it is the upper right.)
Attaching the GPS cable can cause issues with apps in CarPlay, its a known issue.
Mount the radio and replace the dash.
(5.PNG)
Notes on Dash kits:
The CRV head is LARGER than double din so it doesn't just slot into a double din dash kit.
It is also smaller than the stock Si head.
The Metra kit needed significant trimming and I was still not happy with it.
Possibly this one will be better than the Metra HONDA Civic (2013-2015) Build your radio installation combo
I ended up removing the Stock head from the "carbon fiber" Si dash and made a 3D priter surround. Its not perfect, but the STL is attached here if you want to use it.
The surround locates the front of the head and the original metal brackets from the stock radio hold the new one in place.

On first power up you will get this screen:
(1.PNG)
Press all the buttons on the Steering wheel to verify them then press Done without entering any numbers
Press and hold Power Eject and Home all at the same time for several seconds. You will then see this screen:
(2.PNG)
On this screen Press and hold the Power button for several seconds.
You will get a screen asking about inline diag settings. Tap that to set it to complete and then tap return
You should now be at the normal startup sequence.
Power everything down and if done correctly, it will boot up normally with no diag window.

Now update the head unit to support CarPlay.
Here is the full forum post on it or follow these cliff notes: Official Honda Response - NO CarPlay in ANY 2015 Vehicles
Copy the firmware to a fat32 formatted thumb drive. the drive should be named USB20FD and the firmware must be named SwUpdate.mef (make sure extensions are shown and you are not nameing it SwUpdate.mef.mef)
Start the car and once the head is fully booted up, insert the thumb drive into the USB connector in the storage container in the arm rest.
Wait
When asked if you want to update the firmware say yes
Wait some more
Eventually the head will reboot and you should now have a CarPlay listing
(3.PNG)
Connect an iPhone to the USB port in the arm rest and you are ready to go
(4.PNG)
Thanks to Johan0600 who got me over a bunch of hurdles!

more Pics:
(6.PNG)
(7.PNG)

stupid Metra
(8.PNG)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is my write up for adding Carplay to a 2014 Civic Si for less than $150 while retaining all OEM capabilities.
Parts needed:
A 2016 Honda CRV EXL stock radio, its the 7 speaker one that uses an external amp. Model number 39100-T1W-A41-M1 NR-244UH 5CV50-T
View attachment 492884 (0.JPG)
A dash kit you don't mind modifying or a printed surround like the STL file attached here.

If you are going to use the 3D printed surround put it on the CRV head unit and then attach the metal brackets
I used Metal foil tape to attach the surround to the head unit, but it could be done lots of other/better ways.
Attach all cables to the CRV radio, except the GPS cable. (If you are looking at it from the back it is the upper left cable. When looking at it from the front it is the upper right.)
Attaching the GPS cable can cause issues with apps in CarPlay, its a known issue.
View attachment 492885 (5.PNG)
Notes on Dash kits:
The CRV head is LARGER than double din so it doesn't just slot into a double din dash kit.
Possibly this one will be better than the Metra HONDA Civic (2013-2015) Build your radio installation combo
I ended up removing the Stock head from the "carbon fiber" Si dash and made a 3D priter surround. Its not perfect, but the STL is attached here if you want to use it.
The surround locates the front of the head and the original metal brackets from the stock radio hold the new one in place.

View attachment 492886 (1.PNG)
Press all the buttons on the Steering wheel to verify them then press Done without entering any numbers
Press and hold Power Eject and Home all at the same time for several seconds. You will then see this screen:
View attachment 492887 (2.PNG)
You will get a screen asking about inline diag settings. Tap that to set it to complete and then tap return
Power everything down and if done correctly, it will boot up normally with no diag window.

Here is the full forum post on it or follow these cliff notes: Official Honda Response - NO CarPlay in ANY 2015 Vehicles
Copy the firmware to a fat32 formatted thumb drive. the drive should be named USB20FD and the firmware must be named SwUpdate.mef (make sure extensions are shown and you are not nameing it SwUpdate.mef.mef)
Start the car and once the head is fully booted up, insert the thumb drive into the USB connector in the storage container in the arm rest.
Wait
Wait some more
View attachment 492888 (3.PNG)
View attachment 492889 (4.PNG)

more Pics:
View attachment 492890 (6.PNG)
View attachment 492891 (7.PNG)

stupid Metra
View attachment 492892 (8.PNG)
I know this might be a big ask but I’m looking to do this to my 2015 civic. I was wondering if your able to print me out a dash kit like yours. I’m willing to pay for the cost and shipping. Let me know.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know this might be a big ask but I’m looking to do this to my 2015 civic. I was wondering if your able to print me out a dash kit like yours. I’m willing to pay for the cost and shipping. Let me know.
Sorry, your best bet is to search for 3d printing service. I think some staples stores also do it. just grab the STL file and they should be able to print it off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Parts needed:
View attachment 492884 (0.JPG)

View attachment 492885 (5.PNG)
Notes on Dash kits:

View attachment 492886 (1.PNG)
View attachment 492887 (2.PNG)

Wait
Wait some more
View attachment 492888 (3.PNG)
View attachment 492889 (4.PNG)

more Pics:
View attachment 492890 (6.PNG)
View attachment 492891 (7.PNG)

stupid Metra
View attachment 492892 (8.PNG)
Will this work on a 2012 Civic Si since it doesn't have USB?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts