9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the clutch on a bone-stock 2012 Civic Si and I decided to take pictures and make a DIY.

It's a little involved and picture-heavy for a forum post so I just did it on Instructables.

Here is the link:

Clutch Replacement 2012-2015 Civic Si

If I made a bunch of typographical or other errors, please PM me and I'll fix them. I don't want to muddy the water with 10 pages of "your not you're".

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Wow! That is some work documenting that. I hope this link is something supported for some time to come or ask for help converting it to something for future use years from now.

Manuals are cool but they don't come with tips and sometimes the illustrations can be a test of spatial relations.

From the work I have done on my 8th the only alternatives I would throw out there are that if you car gets rusty, the steering system is hard to remove from the sub-frame. One can remove the plastic cover under the steering column base and remove a single 10 or 12 mm nut and seperate the column from the steering gear. The column has a flexible coupling just make sure to secure your steering wheel with the seat belts and make the connection with a sharpie for re-alignment when putting back together.

I am all about removing the entire sub-frame but folks insist that removing half the bolts and leaning the driver's side down is enough. I say nuts to that as it is a big chunk of metal that is good to get out of the way. Take time and paint that thing brite green or chrome it out. You would make some mechanic's day if you did.

This job is a serious under taking. Insert disclaimers and pull out high fives for those who have done it but air wrenches and such are the norm. Jack that car sky high and pump up the Pop-eye arms as the torque on these is bigtime. Add rust and meet your maker.

I say as a starter, if you can't remove your axle nuts, stop there. Just my two or ten cents and buy a $150 transmission jack and do it on concrete. Don't do it in in sub-zero temps like me.

Have a Honda buddy who has done it PM'ed, phone number, and text for pics. Talked 5-6 guys thru it on the 8th and each had unique issues.

Book marked like B*g T*tt*d W*m*nn

Install a header and other things while you are down there.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From the work I have done on my 8th the only alternatives I would throw out there are that if you car gets rusty, the steering system is hard to remove from the sub-frame. One can remove the plastic cover under the steering column base and remove a single 10 or 12 mm nut and seperate the column from the steering gear. The column has a flexible coupling just make sure to secure your steering wheel with the seat belts and make the connection with a sharpie for re-alignment when putting back together.
That's exactly how I did it the first few times. I do it this way because the EPS gets pissed if you're off a tooth.

I should add a step for northerners where you pour a puddle of PB Blaster in the street and drive back and forth through a few times.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
That's exactly how I did it the first few times. I do it this way because the EPS gets pissed if you're off a tooth.

I should add a step for northerners where you pour a puddle of PB Blaster in the street and drive back and forth through a few times.
Well!!! Just to let you know (I have no idea of who EPS is) my car is fine after three tries and I like the new wear spot next to the old one since it is still a bit to the right.

That is how I hold my gat too. I squint my lazy eye to aim lol!

·
Registered
35 Posts
great job man! I bet making this DIY took longer then the clutch job...

I did my first clutch pretty much under the same conditions except I was in a parking lot trading an LS tranny for a B16 tranny installed on the spot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts