9th Gen Civic Forum banner

41 - 60 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Just a run through of what I was thinking, and I just wanted to know if it was feasible.

I have a Pioneer GM-5500T Amp, which is a 2-channel amp, pumping out 125w RMS x 2 at 4Ohms, bridged its 400w RMS.

I was going keep the stock rear speakers, and splice into their inputs from the trunk and connect them to the L/R high-inputs on my amp; which then leaves me with L/R outputs from the amp to plug into the sub(s). With this setup, I was thinking of getting a single 10" Pioneer sub (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_32838_Pioneer-TS-W259S4.html) (I want to conserve as much space as possible in the trunk) and bridge it, running it at 400watts.

Another question of mine is that the RMS rating on that sub is 350w, while my amp runs at 400w. Is there a huge risk of burning out the voice coil? The gain on my amp is roughly at 35-40%.

For starters, Is this setup even feasible in the sense that I would get decent sound from the sub and whatever stock output from the speakers; or would there be too much of a compromise in sound quality of the sub due to the splicing (as opposed to dedicated wiring)
You'll be fine the amp pushes out more or less about 250 rms so the sub will be fine but how are you going to get the amp to turn on?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice work!

What do you think about this approach?

The converter that I used in section #3 of ( http://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/how-tos-diy-section/4117-diy-jvc-navi-install-lx-pix.html#post54057 ) can be placed in the trunk at the speaker connectors; with the correct pins you could plug right into the factory harness. This will also remove the need to run new RCA cables to the trunk.

Of course, you still be to provide primary and remote power to your amp.

Shorter RCA's will give better quality sound as well.

Thank you so much. Has anyone done this on an si with the navi? Is it the same? Sorry my car's new and I haven't had the time to do it and the temps too cold to work out side on it. (Damn you Alberta) lol.

Pics would be appreciated I'm sure.

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Shorter RCA's will give better quality sound as well.

Thank you so much. Has anyone done this on an si with the navi? Is it the same? Sorry my car's new and I haven't had the time to do it and the temps too cold to work out side on it. (Damn you Alberta) lol.

Pics would be appreciated I'm sure.
As far as done what to an Si with the aforementioned thread?or running rcas off the factory set-up

·
Registered
93 Posts
I tried installing subs on my stock radio and you hear a humming sound on your speakers when the radio is on. So I took it out.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
This is a simple fix, i dont know why but sometimes the speakers pick up the engine noise and it hums when u are driving what u do is buy a filter about $15 and u conect it between the RCA conections its a sinple plug and play

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
28 Posts
Haha, small world!
Im originally from the Bay Area, but Im in Las Vegas for school, and luckily they have a Frys out here.

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Haha, small world!
Im originally from the Bay Area, but Im in Las Vegas for school, and luckily they have a Frys out here.
O well I wouldn't suggest a store bought option But if you have no choice look for a single sealed 1 cu ft box or fairly close to that don't go the ported route theres a reason for not going ported with Your particular setup

·
Registered
28 Posts
O well I wouldn't suggest a store bought option But if you have no choice look for a single sealed 1 cu ft box or fairly close to that don't go the ported route theres a reason for not going ported with Your particular setup

Alright, I was looking at some on sonic electronix and ebay that were between .71-.8cu.ft. Is that too small?

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Alright, I was looking at some on sonic electronix and ebay that were between .71-.8cu.ft. Is that too small?
Yes because the sub requires .8 cu ft minimum.and if those are between .7 and .8 you have to subtract the sub itself and you need to add about 2 to 3 lbs of polyfil for a good sound.by the time you subtract sub and fill you have about .4 or a less giving you terrible sound.if you have the ability to make one I can give you a cut list

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes because the sub requires .8 cu ft minimum.and if those are between .7 and .8 you have to subtract the sub itself and you need to add about 2 to 3 lbs of polyfil for a good sound.by the time you subtract sub and fill you have about .4 or a less giving you terrible sound.if you have the ability to make one I can give you a cut list

Ah, got it.

I honestly have no time at all to be able to build a box, school is just taking up any free-time I have, which is why I was leaning towards the pre-built route. If I do end up choosing custom built, I'll definitely send you a PM!

Is this a decent box?
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...d-MDF-Subwoofer-Enclosure-Belva-MDFS1012.html

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Ah, got it.

I honestly have no time at all to be able to build a box, school is just taking up any free-time I have, which is why I was leaning towards the pre-built route. If I do end up choosing custom built, I'll definitely send you a PM!

Is this a decent box?
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...d-MDF-Subwoofer-Enclosure-Belva-MDFS1012.html
That'll be fine just go buy 3 lbs of fill at wal mart about a dollar a pound.and buy some silicone or epoxy and glue the internal part of the terminal cup they leak.
Make sure you screw the sub sown tight for a good seal no leaks equal better sound.

41 - 60 of 126 Posts