9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok. So here is my DIY on how to remove the cowl and the various components to gain access to the back of the Si engine to remove the valve cover, top O2 sensor and the downpipe. I do not take responsibility if you damage your car in attempting to reproduce this procedure. Always take your time when working on your car, take time to examine the car and the various pieces to see how they are put together and come apart, and proceed carefully as to not break anything. Take pictures along the way to reproduce your work and put it back together. The following are the steps I used to take apart Happy wrenching.

Tools:
10mm, 12mm and 17mm sockets
3" and 6" extension bars for your sockets.
Masking tape
Flat head screwdriver or clip puller

Remove wipers:
1) Mark the position of the windshield wipers with some masking tape. You'll need to take the wipers off and they sit on splined posts and you'll want them as close to their original position as you can get them when you put everything back together.

2) You'll need to remove the panel that prevents you from getting free access to the wiper (#1). It's just clipped in, so with your hand just pull up on it with a little wiggle and it should come off. Next, just remove the plastic piece (#2) covering the base of the wiper. You can pry it off with your fingers or use the flat head screwdriver to aid it.

3) Unscrew the 17mm bold holding the wiper on.

4) Take the wipers off. You'll want to make sure you've marked their position with masking tape as part of step 1. This is tricky so manipulate the wipers. I tilted the wiper up, and pulled upward at the base, while wiggling back and forth. I also wiggled along the axis of the wiper. You'll need to pull and wiggle and the wiper will pull off. It doesn't take a lot of pressure here, so if you're feeling like you're really pulling on it, you'll need to apply your pressure differently.

Note: until this point, you really don't need to have the hood open, in fact it's easier if the hood is closed. The only thing that you may need to pop the hood for is those #1 pieces blocking your way to the wiper bolts.

Corner cowl piece removal:
5) You'll want to open your way to the strut mounts. There is a rubber cover that you'll need to remove. Just pull it out.

6) You're going to need to take the part of the cowl that covers the bottom corner of the windshield. There are a few clips you gain access to by removing the rubber in the last step. There are those clips, plus a blind clip that holds the piece down. You'll need to take your time with this. There is some pulling, twisting and maneuvering of the part to pull it from the corner of the windshield. This was the hardest piece for me to comfortably remove and toughest to re-install. Pull this part and you've exposed the bottom corners of the windshield.

To give you an idea where those clips are on the main part of the cowl there by the strut mounts.

Main cowl piece removal:
7) With the corner pieces of the cowl removed, you're on to the main part of the cowl. There are 5 clips you'll need to pull (circled in yellow). You'll want to use your clip puller or a flat heat screwdriver to pull these guys out. They are the crappy flimsy flat-topped clips, be careful you don't destroy them unless you have some replacements.

8) Simply slide the cowl to the front of the car. You don't need to tilt it or anything special like that, it slides forward freely. You'll need to disconnect the hose that runs to the sprayers because it runs into the cowl and removing the line helps get that big piece of plastic out of the way.

Heat shield removal:
9) There is a heat shield that is under the cowl that is in your way now. Using the 10mm and 12mm sockets and the extension bars, remove the 9 bolts that hold that in place. There are 6 bolts (12mm) next to the strut mounts and3 (10mm) along the top. You'll need to use the extension for those three. The middle one, you'll need the longer extension, or a combination of two extensions.

With the cowl and heat shield removed, you now have free access to the valve cover, the top O2 sensor and the downpipe connection at the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Pretty awesome Foobird, thanks! Is it pretty straight forward? I'm a little worried, but I don't want to pay someone and I'm pretty particular about my work.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.

RR - It is. Just feel around. It's easier than you'd think.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
684 Posts
once you get used to it it takes 10min to tak it off!!! The only advise i can give.is to put grease inside your 10mm socket when taking the threen bolts of the metal shield, like this you have less chance of rropping a bolt because it sticks in the socket

·
H2O in hydrant - K9P out
2,169 Posts
Well done Foo. Can't wait to start organizing the DIY section. I guess this DIY would go in the performance sub-forum. (?)

·
Registered
995 Posts
FYI;

I broke some "clips" near my dashboard. They look like the same ones as this DIY. I ordered a bunch of extras. Now I do not worry as much if i break the clips when taking out. They were part number 91550-s50-go1ze.
Great write up to get at struts/valve cover/o2 sensor.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
What's a sticky?
&
What's a bump on the for sale section?

·
400 Club here I come!
1,660 Posts
If your not joking, a sticky makes a thread stay at he top of that particular forum channel..... And a bump is used to keep the thread current so people can see it regularly and more recent.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
If your not joking, a sticky makes a thread stay at he top of that particular forum channel..... And a bump is used to keep the thread current so people can see it regularly and more recent.

Nope, I am/was serious. I don't know much about forums. I've never joined one until I got my '12 last two October's ago. Thanks for the info!

·
400 Club here I come!
1,660 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I'm a bit addicted. I thoroughly enjoy reading the reviews, DIY's and learning. What a great concept, what a great site!

·
400 Club here I come!
1,660 Posts
Lol it's one the most healthy addictions i would have to say, although it gets expensive. Lol these write Ups are the best! Some good guys on here that know their stuff.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Just did this. Great DIY. There are 6 12mm bolts and 3 10mm bolts on the heat shield.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Just did this. Great DIY. There are 6 12mm bolts and 3 10mm bolts on the heat shield.
Thanks for specifying. Glad to help. I'll have to updated the discussion for that clarification.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
FooBird,

I have read this post three times as well as the downpipe install DIY. I think I will be ready to install my Full-Race downpipe, which I will be ordering very soon. Hope to have it installed within a few weeks. Thanks for the write up.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
FooBird,

I have read this post three times as well as the downpipe install DIY. I think I will be ready to install my Full-Race downpipe, which I will be ordering very soon. Hope to have it installed within a few weeks. Thanks for the write up.
This DIY made it so much easier. Took me about 30 minutes to take it all off and about 2 1/2 hours for the Downpipe install.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 48 Posts