9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just wanted to share how I relocated my front plate holder. I basically zip tied the lower two bolt holes to the honeycomb grill part and then used black double sided loop fastners(like the type you use for the ez-pass, but black instead of white) where the hole is to screw into the center of the front bumper. Let me know what you guys think! This is a completely drill free and reversible to plate-less method that I developed by myself!

Top view

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry it took so long to respond, I wil try to take a pic of the front as soon as I can!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
image.jpg Sorry it took so long!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
image.jpg Another angle. I think it makes the car look a bit more aggressive since I hate the way how offset ralley style plate relocater looks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I still need to make a plate bracket. It's been raining almost every day for the past month since I bought my SI. I figured out where I'm gonna put it, just need to make it now. It will require drilling two small holes in the bumper to fit a 8 or 10mm bolt through. Should be able to reach through the fog light cut away to bolt it in place rather than removing the bumper if all goes to plan.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
noooooooo, please don't!! whatever you do, dont drill through any part of your bumper! why would anyone want to do that//?? thats why i've developed my method-DRILL-FREE is the way to be!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I took my plate mount right off. It was bolted under the bumper originally. Someone at the dealer or somewhere had the wise idea of trying to tap a screw into the bumper before they realized it bolted underneath tho and made a small hole in my bumper. :banghead:

Putting the screw holes underneath the middle of the bumper is a good clean idea I think for the plate mount on dx/lx/ex models as we don't have the honeycomb grille to do the screwless trick with.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
79 Posts
My dealer nicely screwed the top of the plate mount right into my bumper. Luckily it was in a groove on the matte black area so it's not visible until you're looking right at it and know where to look.

The only thing I see wrong with this DIY is that plate mount is gonna scratch the shit outta your bumper from vibration. The way I'm thinking it will have two very small holes on the under side of the bumper. So even if removed for whatever reason, they will not be visible even from looking directly at the car. I've been driving for a month so far with no plate at all in an area that requires one. I've been lucky *knock on wood*

I really wish this car had a tow hook in the front to bolt a plate mount into. I was trying to think of a way to utilize the threaded mounts already there, but no luck.

·
Registered
79 Posts
and btw. Not in any way am I bashing your DIY. It's the best solution I've seen for this car so far. When it comes to plate mounting it all comes down to person taste and I'm determined to figure out a way I'll be happy with. All or nothing!!

Reactions: torknsde

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Reactions: Spectrum

·
Registered
179 Posts
Not to bash your ingenuity, just additional input:

Instead of having something that will touch the bumper, why not just utilize the bumper support and have like a free floating setup? The bumper support is aluminum, so you don't have to worry about rust. Not to mention, it will practically never be seen. Also if you move from a 2-plate state to a 1-plate state, you can take it off* or leave it on**. The big downside is you'll probably have to remove your bumper to get to the support.

* if you remove it, you may see uneven color fading from where the plate was.
** if you keep it on, you can get a "vanity plate," I think it's called.

·
Raspy is a bad thing?
4,535 Posts
It's right in front of the radiator? Will that affect the air flow needed to keep it cool? I guess it really don't matter [to me] cuz I'm not putting mine back on, but for others I was just curious.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts